reversing english

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
original post

please read my original post again. I stated that I understand cueball to object ball reactions but do not understand how some people can make the cueball react the way they do. I have seen it happen but don't know how it happens.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How much?

Is it even measurable?

randyg

Two different aiming points on a back bank and a cross bank.
...and you can negate the difference with out-side or in-side english.

If you can influence the angle just a hair, the difference is magnified on the width of the
table....and even more so on the length.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
please read my original post again. I stated that I understand cueball to object ball reactions but do not understand how some people can make the cueball react the way they do. I have seen it happen but don't know how it happens.

Many people here can explain any cue ball reaction that you have ever seen or that is possible, but you have to tell us exactly what you are talking about for us to be able to explain it (add me to the list of the people that are not sure what you are trying to ask in your original post, or what shot or cue ball reaction you have in mind). Please give us a very detailed description of a shot that you have in mind, and it would be even better if you can provide a diagram, and it would be best of all if you can just give us a link to a video of a shot and cue ball reaction that you would like to know about, and then once we know what you are talking about we will be glad to explain exactly why it works that way and how it is done.

Last edited:

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
protractors and slide rules

I don,t have a physics degree or a protractor all I have is my eyes and my gut. I am not trying to analyze anything all I was trying to say is that I understand basic cueball reaction and english but some people seem to do things with the cueball that I thought were impossible but that being said I have won a lot of money over the years from people who analyze everything. I shoot with my eyes and my guts.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I don,t have a physics degree or a protractor all I have is my eyes and my gut.
We always understand best when we also use our head and don't rely only on eyes and guts. Eyes and guts often don't give us the answers, or worse yet, sometimes give us the wrong answers.

I am not trying to analyze anything all I was trying to say is that I understand basic cueball reaction and english but some people seem to do things with the cueball that I thought were impossible...
If you understood basic cue ball/object ball reaction and english you wouldn't be wondering how people were doing things you thought were impossible.

And as many people mentioned, if you would just explain an example to us of a shot type you are talking about we would be glad to explain to you how it was done and why it works that way.

...but that being said I have won a lot of money over the years from people who analyze everything. I shoot with my eyes and my guts.
So you start off trying to ask how certain things are done, and when nobody can understand exactly what you are asking about suddenly you don't care how it is done any more and imply that anything beyond what your "guts" can tell you is unnecessary (even though your "guts" are obviously inadequate since you believe shots that are in fact possible are impossible, and have no idea how certain shots are played). You either forgot to take the meds today, or that sudden change in outlook was mighty convenient.

You didn't start this thread just to inform us that you don't understand how some shots are done. You wanted answers. So just give an example of a shot we can understand, and we will be glad to provide those answers.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Please cite examples from YouTube, as there are many options for what you're trying to imply.

In a simple word. Stroke. Knowledge of where to hit, while still being able to control your hit at those higher speeds.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for the transferred spin idea.... The cue ball causes side spin on the object ball on nearly every shot you shoot. Any time the object ball is thrown -- whether by side spin on the cue ball or by cut-induced throw -- there is some corresponding side spin on the object ball. You cannot have throw without induced side spin.

Thank you.

Dale

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In certain cases the CB may imparts a little spin to the OB. Very little if any.

randyg

actually in almost all shots, spin is imparted from the cb to the ob

either through spin on the cb itself, or by the cut angle

and yes, the opposite is true, the cb picks up a tiny bit of spin from collision w/ the ob

if you cut a ball to the right, you'll end up w/ a little bit of left spin on the ob and right spin on the cb,

edit: Bob beat me to the punch

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... but some people seem to do things with the cueball that I thought were impossible ...
You haven't described any example yet. It's really hard for us to give you an answer unless you do better at that.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for the transferred spin idea.... The cue ball causes side spin on the object ball on nearly every shot you shoot. Any time the object ball is thrown -- whether by side spin on the cue ball or by cut-induced throw -- there is some corresponding side spin on the object ball. You cannot have throw without induced side spin.

Thanks Bob.

Twist banks are a great example.

My favorite proof of throw is freeze a ball on the cushion just before the side pocket. Freeze another ball about 12" from the first,on the same rail. Place a ball touching the second frozen ball. This 3rd ball cant be shot in the far corner pocket on the same rail. Remove the second ball,place cueball at about a 33° angle to the 3rd ball. Shoot pocket speed and cut the ball past the first frozen ball. If hit well the object ball will bend into the pocket.

If you try this shot I bet you throw the object ball into the frozen blocking ball before you get the hang of it.

Last edited: