Golf?

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to be the ultimate lurker!!
10 posts since 2012. The champ for sure!:wink:
Thanks for the link.
I never played on that type table.
Is it me or is it very fast? The cushions look very bouncy too.

It sure looks fast, and tight... those tables have been modified so that the balls will just about rub the pocket facings on the way in. Watch how careful Shane is when he gets his ball near the bottom left corner.

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
tough game

We played for 10 cents a stroke for years on a 6x12, but we used red balls placed on spots at the start of the game for hazards, the first player to pocket his ball went to the board and started counting strokes for each player until all were in that pocket then it started again in order of pocketed balls so it was important where you left your cue ball after pocketing cause you started the next hole shooting from there, every once in a while someone would get a perfect game, first in on each of the six holes, if this happens all players pay double, great game with lots of strategy but players could gang-up on a weak player and "rob" him easily in this game so be careful.

Nccm

Registered
They used to play Golf a lot in San Diego in 1956 - 1959.
There was a bowling alley near the end of Broadway where the old baseball park for the Padres was located. It was called The Tower Bowl, and they had Brunswick pool tables and a monster snooker table.
I wasn't good enough to take the risk so I watched and kept my mouth shut.
Seems like they played $2.00 on the game and 25 cents on a "hickey". I think a "hickey" was when you fouled. And you had to pay everybody 25 cents for your blunder.
A pool player called Long Beach and another called Tommy the Sailor ruled that table. It would have a lot of players in the same game at times.

Golf is still pretty popular here in SD. The golf table at College Billiards is going all day and night and I have seen it get pretty high from time to time.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@ Hard Times

The legendary Big Bertha at Hard Times Bellflower.. there used to always be a Golf game or Liability going on that table... seems like that's quieted down a bit.
Those pockets were some of the tightest... the balls roll forever.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played at 7 seas on Broadway in the 60,s on that 6x12 and at College billiards. Ronnie A.played pretty sporty golf. Back here in Iowa Dave Yeager played golf almost like Searcy.

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you keep your pitching wedge from tearing the cloth?

The only time I have played this game was on a snooker table. We played a version where a red was placed on top of a chalk cube on the center spot. This represented a "tree". If you knocked the tree over during play, you were penalized by loss of turn. Wherever the red ball ended up, that would be the new location of the tree. If the red was pocketed, it was placed back on the center spot. I think a foul was penalized by having to go back one hole.

Nice game. I enjoyed it.