Gonna sell a nice McDermott D1 - What would you do?

Now would I get higher bids?

• Spend $40 to have Irish Linen wrap put on the cue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave the perfect-condition black/silver nylon on the cue

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Hello,

I have a McDermott D-1 in excellent condition that I'm getting ready to sell. It is natural in color and has the standard black/silver nylon wrap in outstanding original condition. The butt cap has been delicately turned down to remove/clean-up some chips and make the cue look good again, and the section of the butt below the wrap has been refinished. As such, it no longer has the straight-angled bevel customary to the D-series McDermott cues, but it looks like a gently used 1-year old cue now, instead of a 28 year old beater. It also has a brand new ferrule and milk dud tip on it.

Most people at my local hall to whom I've shown the cue do not like the vinyl wrap, and I've never really been much of a fan of the nylon either. I love McDermotts, but much prefer them with linen or leather. I would even prefer cork wrap over the nylon...

Now, keeping in mind that the butt cap has been slightly modified, the ferrule isn't original and it's been "partially" refinished (not that you could tell, though):

Basically, is it worth it to spring $40 for new Irish Linen, or leave the already slightly-modified cue original?

Last edited:

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you would see a return on your investment. Leave the wrap if you are going to sell the cue.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I like the original wrap on those cues
If it's in good shape and you like it, why change it.
Linen will not add value to the cue.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you'll lose money every time messing with those cues, new tip and leave it at that. I'm currently looking for a D-1 with a decent sized shaft, so shoot me a pm. Wrap has no bearing on my top price, here or ebay. i look at the wood, if i don't like the wrap i can always get it changed

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In lieu of taking a poll, perhaps you could help me ? I can't decide whether to have
Rice Crispies or Coco Pebbles tomorrow while I'm practicing (to keep this Pool related), which do you think I should have ??? :)

Thanks in advance ! :thumbup:

No you dont get a pass on the "while Im practicing" line. Its fairly safe to reason You arent eating cereal at the pool table.
What are you practing-Your lines-Law-Faining interest in the wife?

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
In lieu of taking a poll, perhaps you could help me ? I can't decide whether to have
Rice Crispies or Coco Pebbles tomorrow while I'm practicing (to keep this Pool related), which do you think I should have ??? :)

Thanks in advance ! :thumbup:

Neither, I think you should have some cheese n' whine. :grin-square:

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Good comeback !
Poll not so much. ;)

Geez, :sorry: I promise I won't post any more polls about McDermott D-1 wraps.

The only reason I was asking is to see whether the collective considers that cue more salable (and maybe at a higher price) with linen instead of the nylon.

General consensus is pretty obvious here... surprised it's so different from what I was hearing from the guys I generally play pool with.

Best to leave it be. Which is what I was inclined to do anyway.

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am currently offering a D-1 on eBay that is in far better original condition, except unfortunately for a slight warp in the shaft. If it doesn't sell, I will keep it and thank the responders here for making me feel better about keeping the original wrap.