REVO $1399 cue

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Has anyone on this forum purchased the expensive P3 REVO GN cue? ($1349)

Or ANY of the higher priced REVO cues? ($1399-$3445)

(I know a couple of guys who have purchased the base model for $899 that looks like Halloween pumpkin).

Just curious what others think about the higher priced cues and the REVO in general.

Thanks,

JoeyA

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I got to try the P3 model. My impression was "meh". Don't get me wrong, it was ok, but you have to take the price into consideration. For 400 it would have been a good buy, still it wouldn't be mindblowing. I might have bought it myself for 500, just because it's different and interesting, not so much for the playing qualities. There are better playing cues out there (IMO).

The guy who's cue I tried sold it shortly after.

All you hear on this forum are rave reviews, but a lot of people tried that cue and were pretty unimpressed. A couple claimed they could draw the ball better with it. I couldn't really say...If it was true, I didn't notice it. Maybe it would grow on you after a while. Nobody I know are rushing to buy one after trying.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I got to try the shaft this past thursday as Scott Lee was in town. He has one with a radial pin to fit on his Samsara. Hit well & does what its supposed to do. A bit too thick for me, would prefer something much thinner. On the fence if i would buy an aftermarket one or not. Seem to play better with my non ld stuff.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
How much can you get for the $1300 Revco the day after you buy it? Most people will not admit they got screwed, when they buy something new. Then you have the placebo effect and the few that are hawking cues they paid nothing or very little for. Of coarse they like them. Johnnyt

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ebay will be full of these cues once those who bought them begin to realize you're
still going to have to put in the hours and practice in order to get better at this game.
The secret is not getting a carbon fiber composite shaft.
The secret is not the shaft at all, LD or Solid Maple.
There is no secret. Just practice.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ebay will be full of these cues once those who bought them begin to realize you're
still going to have to put in the hours and practice in order to get better at this game.

Very well said!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ha ha, is ebay full of every custom cue over 1000, because their owner could not make more balls with it than their prior cue? The argument is exactly the same. People are free to buy as big or as little a cue as they want. Anyone who can play a lick knows a house cue will play just as well as a 10K black boar, and everthing in between.

I think people like to pick on Predator because they are seen as the "evil" corporation in pool cues. I don't see anyone picking on Soutwest, or Black Boar, or Szamboti, etc. Its exactly the same thing.

Reactions: KRJ

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ha ha, is ebay full of every custom cue over 1000, because their owner could not make more balls with it than their prior cue? The argument is exactly the same. People are free to buy as big or as little a cue as they want. Anyone who can play a lick knows a house cue will play just as well as a 10K black boar, and everthing in between.

I think people like to pick on Predator because they are seen as the "evil" corporation in pool cues. I don't see anyone picking on Soutwest, or Black Boar, or Szamboti, etc. Its exactly the same thing.

Those companies don't get " picked on " because they are actually collectable and have a well established following and value.

I don't have anything against Predator. I've played with them before and as others have said it was OK but I could take it or leave it. Disclaimer - I'm not into ld at all, good Ole maple does the trick for me. EVEN with that said I have always thought Predators to be considerably overpriced I guess going back to the Roadline ? when compared to other cues you could buy for the same or less money .

Last edited:

I disagree. Do you think that Shane could play nearly as well with a house cue off the wall as he plays with his R360 cue? Some house cues hit very well in my opinion (like the old Valley Supreme house cues), but most hit like crap (in my opinion), and have horrible tapers on the shafts, along with horrible tips, or even worse, slip on tips. I think you went too far when you made the comment about house cues.

Most cues have their own unique hit to them. You just have to find what you like, and when you do (or if you ever do), then do not let it go (or you may not ever find it again).

I would never buy a Predator cue, unless it is one of the older 1st gen ones, that came with the pre cat 314 shafts (those shafts hit amazing). I never liked any of the shafts that Predator made after the original pre cat 314. The Z shaft is the worst shaft that I have ever hit with. I could not make a ball with that thing. It was horrible. The guy I sold it too (from Taiwan) loved it though. I guess that a lot of players just love the super low deflection LD shafts.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I disagree. Do you think that Shane could play nearly as well with a house cue off the wall as he plays with his R360 cue? Some house cues hit very well in my opinion (like the old Valley Supreme house cues), but most hit like crap (in my opinion), and have horrible tapers on the shafts, along with horrible tips, or even worse, slip on tips. I think you went too far when you made the comment about house cues.

Most cues have their own unique hit to them. You just have to find what you like, and when you do (or if you ever do), then do not let it go (or you may not ever find it again).

I would never buy a Predator cue, unless it is one of the older 1st gen ones, that came with the pre cat 314 shafts (those shafts hit amazing). I never liked any of the shafts that Predator made after the original pre cat 314. The Z shaft is the worst shaft that I have ever hit with. I could not make a ball with that thing. It was horrible. The guy I sold it too (from Taiwan) loved it though. I guess that a lot of players just love the super low deflection LD shafts.

Danny Smith plays excellent with a Z shaft.
JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
I got to try the shaft this past thursday as Scott Lee was in town. He has one with a radial pin to fit on his Samsara. Hit well & does what its supposed to do. A bit too thick for me, would prefer something much thinner. On the fence if i would buy an aftermarket one or not. Seem to play better with my non ld stuff.

Most people will play better with a cue/shaft that they are used to playing with.

I can pretty much play with any cue/shaft after about 15 minutes of play. To play at the highest level I am capable of, I need a few weeks or experience with the cue. Some cues/shafts have idiosyncrasies that I appreciate more than others.

I wouldn't mind playing with one of the Predator P3 without a wrap for a month or two just to compare it to other LD cues.

JoeyA

vadrek

Banned

(I know a couple of guys who have purchased the base model for $899 that looks like Halloween pumpkin).

Just curious what others think about the higher priced cues and the REVO in general.

Thanks,

JoeyA

I have the number 003 of 500.

I like how the cue plays, but i can play the same with my Pechauer one. (Bad) :)

I like the feeling of the shaft, but on soft tips, i'm trying right now an emperor medium and don't like so much it.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Most people will play better with a cue/shaft that they are used to playing with.

I can pretty much play with any cue/shaft after about 15 minutes of play. To play at the highest level I am capable of, I need a few weeks or experience with the cue. Some cues/shafts have idiosyncrasies that I appreciate more than others.

I wouldn't mind playing with one of the Predator P3 without a wrap for a month or two just to compare it to other LD cues.

JoeyA

I'm sure the dealer has a few left @$1300 a pop. You just need to let the moths out of your wallet and purchase one. :):)...Johnnyt

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member

Thanks,

JoeyA

A friend of mine purchased both a P3 and an R1, both with a REVO shaft. I agree the R1 and R2 both look weird and spiteful in their design. As if Predator is intentionally punishing people for not spending enough money to get access to their new shaft. It's embarrassing for a company to release something like this IMO. I mean Ford never lived down the Pinto or Maverick... and never will. Same applies here with this set of cues.

The P3 version is nicer, but seems piecemeal and tossed together. The overall design is muted and less of an eyesore. The hit on both cues is solid and I like it, but the design and execution of the R series is a screaming shame.

Regards,
Lesh

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
PEOPLE...if you want it and can afford it BUY IT. It's that simple. It will not make you a better player or lover.

JoeyA
I took mine Trick or Treating last night
How much can you get for the $1300 Revco the day after you buy it? Most people will not admit they got screwed, when they buy something new. Then you have the placebo effect and the few that are hawking cues they paid nothing or very little for. Of coarse they like them. Johnnyt
I have yet to buy a cue with the intention of selling it someday.
Bingo.

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heard

In conversation with a Top Pro who can play more then just a " lick " he was complaining that had he been able to play with his ......cue rather then the production cue he was paid to use he would have won a lengthly $ match. This was at Derby City in 05.

richdrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not every shaft is gonna play the same or cue for that matter. It takes time to learn. I don't think 15 mins or a few weeks is enough either. The player making the statement used it as an excuse for losing but really didn't put in the time to learn the cue/shaft.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

JoeyA

I saw someone selling a Revo shaft for $300, I was a bit taken back at that. But it looks like you can't get them unless it's with a full cue. Still, $300 for a Cuetec shaft is a bit much ;):cool::eek:

I hit with one while I was waiting for a cue maker to do some work on a shaft for me, and did not like it at all. I don't like Predator shafts much (the only one I did was a few Z shafts and not all of those even), and this Revo thing was even worse. Felt like I was shooting with a metal rod.

Although I don't buy cues at all since finding my current cue years ago, I would not spend over $400 on any "production" cue, be it Joss, McDermott, Predator, Schon, etc... if someone took my cue away and made me buy a new one. I would buy a used one for $400 that had a $600 value or something sure, but not a new $600 cue.

Last edited: