14.1 Instructional Part lll

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
your videos are so helpful -- it's great to hear your thinking as you go along, and then how you execute the shot, and then what you do if it doesn't work out exactly as planned.

it's great to see a perfect run from a pro who's practiced all day for decades; it's inspiring (or depressing!). but in so many ways, your videos are more Useful for the rest of us.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I noticed the "Very"

Quite an honor, Mike.:thumbup:

You notice how he leaned on the "very" ?

I think it is time for part IV.

What do you think? :cool:

My sincere Thanks to Mr. Fels & it is a big honor to receive his comment.
My Thanks to you too Dennis for all that you do for our Sport. If there is one guy on the Forum that gives himself to the Sport. It is you. Always enjoy reading your comments.
My videos is my way of helping to support the Sport.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quite an honor, Mike.:thumbup:

You notice how he leaned on the "very" ?

I think it is time for part IV.

What do you think? :cool:

"Oh, I thought George was calling him 'girlfriend' -- like, 'congratulations, girlfriend'!"

(GF = TXT-speak)

:D (P.S.: for the humor-impaired, I'm kidding, of course.)

In all seriousness, Mikey, your videos are amongst some of the best I've seen for pattern-play visualization -- "the trials and tribulations of a straight pooler's decision-making in actual play." And that's no joke.

-Sean

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Thanks for the vids Mike. I worked my way through 1 & 2 last night.

Very helpful with your commentary on what you were thinking, and where you wanted to get to next!

I think that my thoughts are starting to be more and more in line with thinking in patterns and problem solving, working my way to the end pattern.

BUT, I get locked up too often, or end up with some hard recovery shots. I noticed you had quite a few of what I would think are more difficult shots, or recovery shots here and there. Great to see how well you stroked those, and got back in line quickly. It gives me hope. I thought you were done more than a couple of times.

... of course... I have to be able to put the balls in the pockets too! LOL!
(I miss stupid shots on a regular basis)

Who knows, maybe I have a chance of getting to 50 one day. :)

Again, thanks for the effort that you put into this.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks for the vids Mike. I worked my way through 1 & 2 last night.

Very helpful with your commentary on what you were thinking, and where you wanted to get to next!

I think that my thoughts are starting to be more and more in line with thinking in patterns and problem solving, working my way to the end pattern.

BUT, I get locked up too often, or end up with some hard recovery shots. I noticed you had quite a few of what I would think are more difficult shots, or recovery shots here and there. Great to see how well you stroked those, and got back in line quickly. It gives me hope. I thought you were done more than a couple of times.

... of course... I have to be able to put the balls in the pockets too! LOL!
(I miss stupid shots on a regular basis)

Who knows, maybe I have a chance of getting to 50 one day. :)

Again, thanks for the effort that you put into this.

Thanks Brian for the comment. I enjoy reading them. I messed up on the first video a few times but I knew that there was a possibility of doing it every time. I just did not say it out loud. My first video & I was nervous about it. One or two times it happened on the other two videos where the position did not fall correctly but once again I held it in. I have learned from doing these videos that one must say everything that comes to mind. This way it helps the people watching to learn correct paths & to deal with problems as they come up. If I do make another video. I hope that I can achieve what I am trying to say. Thanks again.

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
I love the re-planning that was required. Being just a fraction off can make you have to reconsider the pattern. I loved your readjustments, since for me, I can only wish that I was a fraction off. I completely blow things related to speed or 2-rail position sometimes.

Sorry it took me so long to watch your vids, I have not been on AZB for quite sometime, and am now getting back involved.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoroughly enjoyed the videos - dogs, white socks, and all! :smile:

I noticed the pup stayed out of the from on video three; well trained!

Used to play a lot of 14.1 25-30 years ago. Love the game. Starting to practice it again and these videos are a lot of help for patterns.

Thanks much!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Thoroughly enjoyed the videos - dogs, white socks, and all! :smile:

I noticed the pup stayed out of the from on video three; well trained!

Used to play a lot of 14.1 25-30 years ago. Love the game. Starting to practice it again and these videos are a lot of help for patterns.

Thanks much!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

LOL..... Thanks for the comment & I am real happy to hear that the videos are helping you. ("I noticed the pup stayed out of the from on video three; well trained!")..... LOL .... No, they are not trained. They are wild. They did not come into the room b/c I have a gate there & I locked it. They know how to open the gates if they are not locked. In the video you can hear them trying to open it & I told them: "No, you are not coming in". They keep me on my toes.....
Good to have you on the 14.1 Forum, it's a good place to be.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I love the re-planning that was required. Being just a fraction off can make you have to reconsider the pattern. I loved your readjustments, since for me, I can only wish that I was a fraction off. I completely blow things related to speed or 2-rail position sometimes.

Sorry it took me so long to watch your vids, I have not been on AZB for quite sometime, and am now getting back involved.

I told Mike when he first posted these that they reminded me of some of Rempe's instructionals where he told you his plan, but was unafraid to re-plan and re-think once he got to the new position. Quite an education in that approach. You get to learn the several possible plans from one position and the trait of not being afraid to abandon your plan if a better one presents itself. Even Rempe said, you never get exactly where you want to get and that is one reason you have to be open to change.

Glad to see you back in the 14.1 game, Brian.

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks

terrific video, mike

we all learn by watching the really good players, but the learning is so much more effective with the commentary. i've improved a lot because of rempe, schmidt, and danny d's commentaries. you belong right there on the list with them as far as i'm concerned.

thanks for your efforts

jim