For 50, 75 and 100 BALL RUNNERS

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To get a better idea of where those of us currently stand skills-wise that are working diligently towards 50, 75 and 100 ball runs DURING LEAGUE or tournament play, would you that now DO those runs please share what a reasonable AVERAGE practice run session at home would look like scores-wise over say 10 documented sessions?

There are numerous practice sessions and drills per se that are worked on regularly, but when it is time for a practice-PLAY afternoon where I pull all elements of the game together and work for that HIGH RUN of the day, what scores should I regularly be seeing in my score journal out of 10 dedicated attempt sessions? It's one thing to see an "occasional" 35 or even 42 --- and that's what I like to remember most --- but yet can't CONSISTENTLY perform at that level when I study the scoring logs.

So fellow 14.1'ers, for those of you that can consistently and confidently get 50+ runs in competition, how many do you see like that out of 10 during practice runs --- when that is your goal?

Thank you as well, to the few guys in this forum section that regularly post your videos and tips ---- it helps immensely and your work and wisdom does not go unnoticed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since nobody on the tour responded, I'm going to chime in with an opinion.

If you "regularly and consistently" run 50 balls during competition, you may be a professional player, depending on what "regularly and consistently" means to you.

Some people play better, some worse in league compared to practice. I'd say barring any unusual situations like a high money game, I'd say league play is roughly the same as practice sessions. If so, then whatever your score sheet looks like in practice is what it'll look like in a league (provided you have reasonable opportunities to run balls, of course).

A couple of years ago when there was a local league, I could run into the 30's here and there. Playing at home, I could guarantee a run or two of 30 - 40 every night if I played 1 or two hours, if that helps. (Sometimes it would be my first run of the night, then I'd lose focus and not play as well the next hour while I was thinking about dinner instead). :)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts, Dan! Much appreciated.

For a simple and perhaps reasonable application of the "regularly and consistently" term, how about we say at least once during a match to 150. Same for at home practice play...

So ---- for a player to consider themselves a "35-ball runner" for example, they should realistically see that 35 ball run at least once in their match. Same for a "50 ball runner" and so on...Would that be fair and accurate to say, you think?

Now that I'm thinking about my OP, along with your comments as well as looking at various statistics for 14.1 matches, perhaps what I'm really after is a way to tell how a player of a certain caliber (50+ ball runner) knows when their game has indeed reached that level ---- and the simple answer is "when they do it during a match" whether it be at home or league play.

I'm aware that one of the best stats for a player over the long term is average balls per inning (BPI) and even "effective safeties", but unless a player can reach the 25+ then 35+ and eventually 50+ and the elusive 100+ runs, they have no real way of gauging their level of play against others in say a forum context. Or more practically speaking, when to KNOW they are ready to compete with a group of shooters in the higher match race numbers i.e. races to 75 vs races to 100, 125 and the 150 level.

At the end of the day, I think a player should look at many stats other than HI RUN, but to gauge how well they CAN shoot, is it reasonable to say they should see a certain HI RUN number during a match? Fair to assume, you think, or is there a better way to gauge one player's skill level to another (again, in a league format) other than wins and losses??

Thanks again for posting, Dan!!

K.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the end of the day, I think a player should look at many stats other than HI RUN, but to gauge how well they CAN shoot, is it reasonable to say they should see a certain HI RUN number during a match? Fair to assume, you think, or is there a better way to gauge one player's skill level to another (again, in a league format) other than wins and losses??

Thanks again for posting, Dan!!

K.

Others here are probably more qualified than I to say, but I think your gauge of what a 50 or 100 ball runner is is too restrictive. No professional player runs 100 balls every match, yet I'd say all of them are considered 100 ball runners. Heck, even 50 ball runs get special recognition by the ref.

I think Bob Jewett did some calcs awhile back that show your typical high run on any given day is about half of your all-time high run. So if you play every day and run 25 balls maybe every second or third day, your all-time high run should be in the 50 ball range, plus or minus.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting thoughts and observations, Dan - some that give a little insight to my question(s) I believe.

Looking back through a few weeks worth of 14.1 practice, I see the fair assessment / validity of your remark about average runs being approx half of all time high runs every few days or so.

Any other insights come to mind, feel free to toss them out there

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Others here are probably more qualified than I to say, but I think your gauge of what a 50 or 100 ball runner is is too restrictive. No professional player runs 100 balls every match, yet I'd say all of them are considered 100 ball runners. Heck, even 50 ball runs get special recognition by the ref.

I think Bob Jewett did some calcs awhile back that show your typical high run on any given day is about half of your all-time high run. So if you play every day and run 25 balls maybe every second or third day, your all-time high run should be in the 50 ball range, plus or minus.
Dan is pretty spot on with this. I have ran in the sixties about four or five times. A good practice session for me is a high run of close to thirty balls. My bad days I might not get through a rack.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

This is quite a reasonable estimate.

When my high run was in the sixties I usually would run 30 or close to it in a long evening of playing. If you run 50+ in a long evening, you might be a hundred ball runner. Everyone has the occational bad day. That doesn't mean you are doing things terribly wrong, you just may have some concentration or eyesight problems on that particular day. Some people, like myself, are kind of inconsistent. They may be able to come with the big numbers some times, but sometimes may struggle. This is a mental game as much as a physical one. If your head is not in it, it's hard to make the numbers.

Last edited: