Gus Szamboti with original shipping box

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well this isn't the fanciest Gus on the planet by any means. Just a 4 point players Gus in original condition. The points and butt sleeve are Brazilian Rosewood, which is rare. Points and veneers are perfect as you would expect them to be. The wrap is Penn linen.

A very nice cue but with the addition of the original shipping box from Gus make it a little more special. Shipped in September 1980. Check out the C.O.D. amount on the box.....$263-29!!! Don't we wish we had a time machine?

What this cue represents is honesty. Its a good, honest players cue made by one of the greatest cue makers of all time. The cue has been well used and so it should....this is what they are made for....lets all not forget that. I sometimes think about what it would have been like to order a cue from Gus. Imagine your new Gus turning up on your door step like this cue did nearly 28 years ago for the lucky customer.

Its cues like this that re-establish why I got into collecting cues in the first place.

Si

PS: Whilst Gus never made me a cue, his very talented son did. When my new Barry S turned up, I had to take the rest of the day off work.....just too excited to concentrate, lol....and I have used it since I got it 2 years ago. Play pool with the cues, don't be afraid and shut them in a box forever. They are made to hit balls around a table....so just do it!!
035.jpg

030.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very Nice Cue

I love that classic players cue, one of my favorites"
I appreciate your opininion about the cues, Although I dont have many, I make sure to ALWAYS USE THEM"

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
My Lord, Si....I think you've got your hands on the Holy Grail.

My dream cue...in every sense of the word. I'll likely never be in a spot to have something that special in my possession....so I'll continue to live vicariously through those that are/do.

Congrats, sir. Beautiful piece of history you have there.

cuemasterpieces

When a man loves a woman
Silver Member
simply history

That is history .... cool pickup buddy.

May one far day, i will have the chance to hit some balls with one of your beautys if you will come to visit me at home and play with me on my private table :rolleyes:

But dont forget that Showman at home pal :D

Berny

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, I just adore 4 point players cues...by anyone. I don't mind the fancy stuff but its cues like this that book a long stretch in the Diamond Collection.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
thediamond said:
Well this isn't the fanciest Gus on the planet by any means. Just a 4 point players Gus in original condition. The points and butt sleeve are Brazilian Rosewood, which is rare. Points and veneers are perfect as you would expect them to be. The wrap is Penn linen.

A very nice cue but with the addition of the original shipping box from Gus make it a little more special. Shipped in September 1980. Check out the C.O.D. amount on the box.....$263-29!!! Don't we wish we had a time machine?

What this cue represents is honesty. Its a good, honest players cue made by one of the greatest cue makers of all time. The cue has been well used and so it should....this is what they are made for....lets all not forget that. I sometimes think about what it would have been like to order a cue from Gus. Imagine your new Gus turning up on your door step like this cue did nearly 28 years ago for the lucky customer.

Its cues like this that re-establish why I got into collecting cues in the first place.

Si

PS: Whilst Gus never made me a cue, his very talented son did. When my new Barry S turned up, I had to take the rest of the day off work.....just too excited to concentrate, lol....and I have used it since I got it 2 years ago. Play pool with the cues, don't be afraid and shut them in a box forever. They are made to hit balls around a table....so just do it!!
035.jpg

030.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Simon, In addition to having a true work of art, are you aware of the absolute brilliant play the cue has seen/ James Christphor was and is a MONSTER road player. There is no telling the stories the cue could reveal. Awesome cue!

Last edited:

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was aware he was a solid player but I know very little about him, Tommy. I bet you are right, this cue will have seen some serious action. If anyone can share in info on James Christopher it would be greatly appreciated.

If only cues could talk, ha, ha!! Back to my pills.

I will PM you later Tommy, just going to the gym.

Si

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
Great Piece Of History.....

Great pick up Si:D ,I had that cue in my hand once. BEAUTIFULLY MADE Rosewood Gus Szamboti, this cue totally player cue, but those points are as perfect as it can be. I wonder how he made those points so perfect back then without all the new technology we have now:confused: :eek: I guess that's where it comes to great tallented Gus Szamboti and solid hitting cue that he made. I am glad I got 1 Gus and 1 Barry:D :D :D :D. That one Barry Szamboti I got is a great sold hitting cue also.
P.S. DOESN'T HURT TO MORE Szamboti Cues:D

Last edited:

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
thediamond said:
I was aware he was a solid player but I know very little about him, Tommy. I bet you are right, this cue will have seen some serious action. If anyone can share in info on James Christopher it would be greatly appreciated.

If only cues could talk, ha, ha!! Back to my pills.

I will PM you later Tommy, just going to the gym.

Si
From Houston to Memphis and a lot of places in between, JC has been in the thick of the action. I have watched him and Tony Fargo battle it out on the barbox many times. James is a stone cold gambler, not just on the pool table. I know several of the members here can relate some stories as well.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
the two shafts on top have the ringwork reversed. Are those original or aftermarket??

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Szam Caps??

Hey Diamond, You need a Rosewood Cap for that Szam??
Just starting to spraying the Polyurethane on this one.. Made it for Tikker, but, He had the Orange Ring.. This ones Available..:)

Attachments

• Rosewood Body 01.jpg
    Rosewood Body 01.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,666
Last edited:

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Simon,

What a find....that cue and box are truly a unique and rare combination. And worth like $$$$$$.

Congrats,

Scott

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pick up mate...i like that cue alot...i think you need to give me one of that shaft to be my player shaft so that it will bring my game to the next level :D..joke....I am so jealous but i worship your cues...it should be a player cue for sure....

Eric Wynne

Banned
James was a great player ,60's up to late 80's I guess ... Used to live in San Antonio , and Houston when RED'S was the action spot ... Of course being a roadie everywhere else too ... But he was a force to be reckoned with ...:cool:

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
The shafts were made by Bill in the late 80's when James was a fixture in the Memphis area.

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simon

Another great find for your collection.
Seems like you now have at least two cues that I love (there may be more but there are a few cues that have not made it to the gallery I am sure).

Talk to you later,
Myron

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Craig Fales said:
the two shafts on top have the ringwork reversed. Are those original or aftermarket??

Yes mate...as Tommy said, Bill McDaniel made these two a long time ago.