how are ya'll doing in league ?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Had a great night last night, beat one of the better SL7's in our division, 3-2. Pretty stoked.

Only one $hit shot, which was a calculated possibility in any event (I had a ball in the corner which got crapped in when I missed the primary shot, it wasn't unexpectedly random). Otherwise I played pretty well, for me.

Yes, he didn't play to his ability. But I beat him, he didn't lay down or make major screw ups.

Great feeling, if only for one night :)

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Played a big match in my 14.1 League @ Bayshore Billiards.

I had to go to 150 and my opponent had to go to 115, i won the match 150 - 80

That may have moved me into 1st place with 2 weeks to go before playoffs.

at least i hope it locks me in for playoffs, where the top 5 plus a wild card play for the title.

-Steve

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a great night last night, beat one of the better SL7's in our division, 3-2. Pretty stoked.

Only one $hit shot, which was a calculated possibility in any event (I had a ball in the corner which got crapped in when I missed the primary shot, it wasn't unexpectedly random). Otherwise I played pretty well, for me.

Yes, he didn't play to his ability. But I beat him, he didn't lay down or make major screw ups.

Great feeling, if only for one night :)

good shooting dub. :thumbup:

as was said in another thread...a 7 does not have to play bad for a 5 to win.

the 7 can have an average day and the 5 can get on a roll and give the 7 fits.

sounds like you were on a roll beating him with out the handicap. :grin-square:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
good shooting dub. :thumbup:

as was said in another thread...a 7 does not have to play bad for a 5 to win.

the 7 can have an average day and the 5 can get on a roll and give the 7 fits.

sounds like you were on a roll beating him with out the handicap. :grin-square:

Yep, I'd say so. Though I wasn't playing way over my head, just consistently good. Not great or amazing, just minimizing the mistakes. I don't think I ran more than 6 balls at one time.

I've played like this before, just retaining it on a consistent basis is the difference between where I'm at, and where the 7's are.

Here's to hoping I can gain a little more consistency in 2015. I've already decided that I'm gonna try and throw myself against the better players going forward, now that I don't have a 7 on my team any more.

tommy84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the odd German voicing his opinion. I play the 3rd highest league out of 5 in the State of Hassia, where a lot of good team are situated. I won 3 of 8 matches so far as it's my first year in this league. I was just recently invited to play the second last State Championship Qualifying tournament in 10-Ball. Among those eligible to play is Holger Gries, who is a Senior European Champion...

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
2014 Year End Stats.jpg

Closed out 2014 with 1 8 Ball MVP Title, 1 9 Ball MVP Title and another MVP Session just finished out of the Top Spot came down to last match of the session missed 1 shot and it was over.

2015 Watch out I'm coming.

Black Cat :dance:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
For you guys (and girls) that play APA or leagues with a similar type tournament: How close ofvan eye do you all keep on the Top Gun standings? What kind of importance does it hold for you? If there is a pay out, is it usually pretty good? How many players in your Top Gun tournament and is there an entry fee?
Our Top Gun roster comes out usually about 2 or 3 weeks into the new session, no formal invitations or anything like that, just a bunch of names on a list I the league packets, I would guess about 125 - 150. About 15 years ago I played in the first one and haven't had any interest in playing in another one since. It's usually one of those tournaments where you play then it's a couple of hours before you get to play again. Generally not a way I like to spend a Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For you guys (and girls) that play APA or leagues with a similar type tournament: How close ofvan eye do you all keep on the Top Gun standings? What kind of importance does it hold for you? If there is a pay out, is it usually pretty good? How many players in your Top Gun tournament and is there an entry fee?
Our Top Gun roster comes out usually about 2 or 3 weeks into the new session, no formal invitations or anything like that, just a bunch of names on a list I the league packets, I would guess about 125 - 150. About 15 years ago I played in the first one and haven't had any interest in playing in another one since. It's usually one of those tournaments where you play then it's a couple of hours before you get to play again. Generally not a way I like to spend a Saturday or Sunday.

back when i was always finishing 1st or 2nd in both 8 and 9 ball top gun i kept track of it pretty regularly. the last year and a half i have been finishing in the middle of the pack so i hardly ever look it up.

the top 50 for each s/l in our entire area qualify for the top gun tourny. we usually have 8-20 players for each skill level show up for the tourny.

entry fee is 20.00. pay outs depend on the number of entries. last time i won it i got 60.00. 2nd got 40.00 and 3rd got 20.00.....there were only 8 people in my s/l bracket entered. every entrant gets a top gun patch. 1st place gets a top gun plaque with his name on it and free entry to the singles regionals.

our tournys always take just one day to complete due to the usually low turn out.

as far as how important it is to me ? i used to think of it as a barometer of how i was doing compared to all the others at my skill level for the entire area. now a days i could care less how i am doing compared to joe blow or jack smack.

the reason i could care less any more is because.. most teams in my area try to match handicap to handicap.5 vs 5 and so on. .with me being the best player on my team as a 5 i usually face all the 6's and 7's every team has. i see no need to fret over joe blow at my skill level having a 70% win record and me having a 40% win record when he usually faces his same handicap and i usually face higher handicaps.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i forgot to say ..yea top gun winner for each s/l in each division gets a plaque...no money though.

just for curiosity i just looked at the top gun standings for my sun night division. he only shows 36 players in each bracket to save space.

as i stated earlier ...with me facing mostly higher levels every week the top gun standings dont shine favorably on me.

here is what is interesting though.

in 9 ball i faced 5 pf the top 10 finishers in top gun this session. i won all 5 matches and i am not even listed in the top 36.

in 8 ball i faced 3 of the top 10. i won all those matches and i am ranked 25th.

after mulling it over a lil bit i think the old scoring system favored me in top gun and the new system hurts me since i face mostly higher level players.

under the old 8 ball scoring system your points earned equaled your opponents handicap. now its just based on how many racks you win irregardless of your opponents s/l.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this post is gonna be kinda league related.:grin:

i mentioned in an earlier thread i picked up 2 new players for next session. since some of my team did not know these players i decided to throw a party at the house sat night so every one would get aquainted with each other.

i also let every one bring friends along plus i invited a few friends from other teams. one of the guys girl friend brought her girlfriend who outright embarrased my 2 - 4's playing 8 ball. she beat a few 5's also.

after she just gave up the table she and i got to talking and it wound up she knew me from mutual friends but i did not know her. i come to find out she plays apa 9 ball on a friend of mines team and she is a 4.

well one of the guys suggested we play doubles to get more people involved playing because it was just a long wait for 20 people playing singles on my one table.

i chose a friend from another team and some one said nah...lets team up guys and girls. i quickly chose the girl i had been talking to. :grin-square: we wound up keeping the table and just gave it up after winning about 10 in a row.

one of my new 5's was playing pretty good but the other was off a lil that night. just from what i saw sat night it looks like i am gonna have a lil more competitive team than this last session.
if i did not have a full team i think i would damn near beg that girl to join my team. she plays better than any one on my team except for me and my 2 new 5's.

oh yea...even though i got pretty fvck'd up on gentle man jack and butter scotch shots i was a responsible host and had a few sleep over who i thought had no biz driving.

heluva party that started 7: pm and lasted till 7 : am. it reminded me why i quit drinking a few years ago. had a blast that night but i suffered all day sunday and all day today at work.

well tom night is the end of my tue night session....hey... i just found out 2 guys are leaving that team....i might get that girl on this team. fri night is the last night this session for scotch doubles and i hope to win both nights and close out with a 50% record for all 3 divisions. :grin-square:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I usually pay a little attention to it, the amount depending on how good a session I'm having at the time, of course. When I'm having real good session, I pay very close attention :p

The way it works here is top gun gets a plaque and $50. The top 20 qualify for an end-of-session money tourney ($20 entry), along with the top 20 from the other surrounding divisions. Rarely do we get more than 25 or so to show up for these tourneys. 8-ball on Saturday, 9-ball on Sunday. We are a rural state, its between 30-60 minute drive from our area, far more for players in some divisions.

I've come in second in our division three times now. The last time was last year. I went 13-0, lost to a SL7 who went 7-0, but had a slightly higher points-per-game average. As I rarely shut anyone out, the new scoring kind of eliminates me from winning the award now.

My goal every session is to make the top 20. I do more often than not. I'm in the top 3 or 4 in 9-ball, probly just outside the top 20 in 8-ball currently.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
apa 8 ball last night.

i was selected to play the 4th match..... they had 2 - 5's available that i had played several times and it was always close but i had the better record between us.

instead they threw a 4 who i had never seen before.

i win the lag and break dry ...he runs the table. :eek:he wins the 2nd rack with some pretty dang good shooting and position play.

while i rack the 3rd rack i am telling my self ...he is on the hill and even though i gotta work tommorow i gotta go into defense mode if i want to win this match.

well after about 45 more minutes and about a dozen safes from me i win the next 4 in a row.

after my match i told the lo that i thought my opponent was about the best 4in town. he said he agreed with me. i would love to have that guy on my team. :grin-square:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we finished up our scotch doubles division last night. what an amazing night for my team :eek:

we won 8 ball 11-0 and won 9 ball 40-20. the only match we lost was the 9 ball scotch doubles in which my g/f and i were paired up. our 5/3 vs their 5/6 in which we only lost 12-8. i am proud of my self for keeping my composure during that match while my g/f was missing so many easy shots i kept setting up for her. ...not gonna lie...i was seething inside watching her miss so many shots.:grin-square:

she made up for it in her single 9 ball match vs their 5. she won 17-3 with so many wild ass shots only a low level player ever attempts and hooking her opponent when ever she missed. i was sitting there keeping score and shaking my head when she made efren like shots time after time.

i was laughing inside but at the same time felt sympathy for her opponent who was obviously frustrated . i just hate when those type of matches happen to me.

oh yea....my only single match was 8 ball against a 5. i won 4-0.

no pool today since i dropped off sat napa league..... just decided to cut back a little.

got 9 ball playoffs tom night for my double jeapordy division ...already qualified for tri cups in 8 ball due to our 1st place finish this session.

Last edited:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
We're still on holiday hiatus until the 14th; we have one team of college students and they're not back for a while. It's just as well... I'm dealing with a rotator cuff problem that is keeping me from playing. :frown:

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apa 8-ball my team lost in the second round of playoffs (lower tier).

9-ball my team won the upper tier playoffs, now entering the first round of Tri-cup tournament.

I haven't posted in a while, my fall session started out crappy, but I started picking up wins as the session went on. Went 6-7 in 8-ball, 5-8 in 9-ball, not counting playoff wins. Lots to improve for Spring.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finished the first half of the season 20-11. About a 65% win percentage. I thought I played a little better but the real eye opener was my shot percentage was about the same. What?! I thought we also finished as a team above .500 but that didn't happen either, we're 5-6. I haven't taken things too seriously, just having a good time. But I'm not happy with my performance so I may have to bring a different mindset for the finish.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we played 9 ball play offs tonight. we won 34-26 in 3 matches. opposing team forfieted last 2 mattches due to they could not catch us in the last 2 matches.

puzzles me why they never threw their 9 when they had a chance.....guess they did not think we would win the matches we won so lopsided.

i won the toss and elected to throw 1st.

i threw a 2 and they countered with a 3. my 2 won 15-5.

they threw a 3 and i countered with another 2. they won 17-3.

i threw a 5 and they countered with a 4. my 5 won 16-4.

all they had left was a 9 and a 5. they could not play both with out going over 23 so they just forfeited the last 2. i still had a 6, 5 , 4 , and a 3 available...well my 6 was not there yet but i dont think they knew it.:grin-square:

lo and behold my 7 shows up half way through the 1st match and i tell him he cannot play because he did not have enough matches in. he replied he did not know we had play offs tonight. he left before i had a chance to tell him i did not need him next session because he is undependable. also dropping my 6 and picking up another 5 and a 4.

guess i will tell him at wed night napa league...he is the captain of that team and it will be interesting what his response will be.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
had 8 ball play offs last night.

i lost to another 5... 4-2. had one of those nights where i could do nothing right.:frown:

rattled the 8 once...he runs out..... hooked my self behind the 8 when i am on my last ball, missed my ball and he runs out....went 2 rails on my last ball and scratched. he runs out. i more or less handed him 3 racks. :frown:

i thought i had it tuff last night till our 7 faced their 6. their 6 won 4-0 in 1 inning. wow !!

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Playoffs

We won 8 and 9 in double jeopardy last night. Didnt have to play 9 because everyone pulled their weight. Got to close the door in the 4th match beating another 7 5-2 even though I only had to get to the hill. Guaranteed trip cup. :thumbup: 11-0 this session in 8 ball and finally got my lifetime % over 80 again.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball playoffs last night. We won. I've been shooting only for a year and some change and have progressed to a 6. I won the closing match against a solid 5 who ran out after I broke dry in the first rack. Ended up winning 5-2, played more defense than ever. Getting better at it. Last rack I had a ball deep in a pocket blocking the pocket for his 8. After the world's longest timeout I noticed when they were leaning over my ball it had moved to one side of the pocket (giving space to sneak the 8 end pretty easy rather than having to combo and follow in). Luckily I caught it and moved the ball back ( I think they did it on purpose). He missed following the 8 in off my ball and I won. Good feeling to get back to tricups.

Last edited: