how are ya'll doing in league ?

TNOriginals

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won the APA National Scotch Doubles 9 Ball

in Vegas last year. I was a 5, my partner was a 6. We were down SO bad in one match. We needed 37 they needed 7. We got out with them missing a 9 ball for the win and won by 2 points. That was the quarterfinals I believe.
I am now a 6. I won my region and am qualified to go back to Vegas in April for the singles.
I hate that the 6s have to play with the 7s, 8s, and 9s in Vegas, but I will give'em Hell.

I am a 5 in 8 ball and am qualified for regionals in the spring.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
My 9ball league match was called while I was in the bathroom.

I was racking, giving the 8. Opponent is a new guy in the league. He was breaking.

Maybe he thought he was racking...he had racked already, placing his 8 ball in the second row behind the 1 ball.

I re-racked, placing the 8 in the last row, just above the bottom ball of the rack. (A former long time TD/Johnson City player gave me this advice...seems to work)

The guy comes over, I offer my hand, and say 'shoot well'. He doesn't shake hands, instead says 'I get the 8'.

I said 'yeah, I know'.

He says 'it goes up where I had it'.

I said, 'I'm giving the 8, it racks where I decide to put it'.

He...'no, it goes up top, I read the rules...that's where it goes'.

Me...'no, it goes where I say it goes. It's my choice where it goes in the rack'.

Me...'do you want to ask your team mates?(who have been in league for several seasons)

He...'no, I read the rules..'

Me...'ok, I'll get the league director to explain'....I run it down to the LD, who rolls eyes and shakes his head..and says 'you put it wherever you want it'..

Me...'come tell this guy'.

We get back to the table and the LD starts to speak, and the opponent says...'my bad, I was wrong'. His team mates chime in with 'he's new, he didn't know'. The LD gives me a wtf did you drag me over here for..look.

Sheesh.

In a later game, with me breaking, giving the 8(in the second row) the top 3 balls were loose and the rack was twisted, more than a little. I told the racker. The opponent says...'go fix it if you want'..so I did...he inspected, and signed off. Then I broke.

Sheesh.

I just figured that the new guy was misinformed and stubborn. And that the other team mate just gave a lazy rack.

Now I wonder if I got sharked?

Maybe being this dense ain't all bad.:eek:

Softshark tactic.

Cools you off and gets the rep p/o'ed at you all at the same time.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week our bar league kicked off and I played pretty good. We lost the match as a whole though and it's already looking like this season might be a rough one for a couple team mates. People were in a bit of a foul mood, I believe personal stress of some sort. It appears some players on the other teams have improved a bit too, which I find satisfying and encouraging. I'm looking forward to enjoying myself and finishing with a better average than I did last year.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I was pretty steamed last night about losing 3 of my 5 matches in our Valley league. 1 of them I absolutely deserved to lose. I missed a ball while going for a breakout and my opponent ran out. The other 2 weren't as legit. In one match I had a fairly routine out, but my cueball was 3 or 4 in off the rail and I needed to jack up just a tad to get the draw I needed. Well right where the butt of my cue needed to be there was a shelf sticking out from the wall interfering. I missed the ball and lost the match. In my last match I broke and was running out. I hit a fantastic shot to get perfect shape on the key ball before the eight. I hit the shot well and assumed I made it, but the ball rolled off an inch on its way to the corner and I missed. I would have had an easy shot at the 8 as well. Oh well get em next time I guess.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
How should I feel?

My Captain from Spring session called me mid summer and asked if I wanted to play. I always take the summers off from pool. He said 2 of his players got up & quit, and they are in 1st place; can you help out?
I figured I was gonna start league in Autumn anyway, so why not a little early. I won all my matches. we won summer playoffs (no big deal itsa smaller crowd), so now we go to LTC's with all of our ratings high. Gonna be a challenge.....

Meanwhile in Autumn league ,....
I feel like this ------ > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL73oUMXD8w

:rolleyes: :frown:

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a 7 in APA 8 ball and just went up to a 9 in 9 ball and won my first match as a 9 tonight in a tight match against a 5 75-35 so overall I'm pretty happy about that.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Bca

I played a nearly perfect set last night. B/R the first rack, opponent cue off table on 2nd break, ran it, 3rd rack broke dry, he missed and I ran it. third break opponent broke dry, I ran it, 5th game I broke dry, he ran down to 3, ran the table. Only had to make one difficult cut all night. Love the 7 foot Diamonds. You don't have to hit anything hard, clusters will move and shape dictates everything. If I could just get my break down, I would be dangerous. :D

Last edited:

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a nearly perfect set last night. B/R the first rack, opponent cue off table on 2nd break, ran it, 3rd rack broke dry, he missed and I ran it. third break opponent scratched, I ran it, 5th game I broke dry, he ran down to 3, ran the table. Only had to make one difficult cut all night. Love the 7 foot Diamonds. You don't have to hit anything hard, clusters will move and shape dictates everything. If I could just get my break down, I would be dangerous. :D

Agreed on the 7' Diamonds. I have one at home I bought new at the Expo with the Pro Cut pockets several years ago. They play like a dream.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have not posted in a few weeks but I see some of you bumped it up:smile:

Had a busy weekend in with 9 ball tri cups.

I won 16-4 Fri nite vs a another 5

Won sat 12 - 8 I. A hard fought match vs another 5. Score was 38-37. I was down 29-36 but managed to pull it off with a few lock down safes.

Lost my next match 17-3. You know the saying...cant win it from the chair. I did not know the guy but a team mate who is a 9 said he knew the guy well and that it was the best he ever played. Aint sayin he is a sandbagger but he shot lil a 7or 8 in our match. We all have occasions where we shoot over our level and today was his day I guess.

Anyway our team went undefeated and qualified for ltc

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I too, haven't posted here much lately. Had mixed results for the summer session, my 8-ball record was pretty good, probly 7-4 or some such. I did beat three very strong players in those wins, a 7 (arguably the strongest player around, I did indeed "get lucky") and two 6's, so I was rather proud of those.

9-ball was a washout, I only won one match all session. That was against a sl7, so at least that was something.

The 8-ball team finished in 3rd place, didn't get thru tri cups. The 9-ball team fell just out of the playoffs by only a few points, on the last night of the session.

Decent starts so far this session. Still seeking consistency.

Deadstroker

Registered
TN Original, first off let me say congratulations to you qualifying for the National Championships. It is true that you will be playing with the 8s and 9s you won't play one of them until you make it to somewhere around the quarterfinal rounds. so you will be playing people in and around your own skill level. a bunch of 6s and 7s. So go get em and most of all just have a good time. you made it and you are in Vegas. See you there

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Past week was good!

This past 7-days in CPA/APA was a good week.

Thursday, 8-Ball I won against a challenging SL6. Then played in Masters Saturday were I lost my first match against a player considered the best around our area, but ended up winning my second match against an SL7.

After Master I played in a qualifier for regionals and ended up winning a spot. Record for the tournament was L=SL6, W=SL6, W=SL6, W=SL6 and then beat a SL3 for the spot.

Last night was the best night of them all in 9-Ball. Played a SL6 and beat him 20-0 with two 'break and runs' and a '9-Ball break'. I ended up having to double up were I played a SL7 (the local franchise owner) and got him 15-5.

I have a feeling in both 8 & 9 my SL will be increasing to a 7/7 very soon. Looking very forward to tonight's 8-Ball. :)

Last nights 8-ball was good, knocked off a SL7 with a score of 4-1. :)

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This past 7-days in CPA/APA was a good week.

Thursday, 8-Ball I won against a challenging SL6. Then played in Masters Saturday were I lost my first match against a player considered the best around our area, but ended up winning my second match against an SL7.

After Master I played in a qualifier for regionals and ended up winning a spot. Record for the tournament was L=SL6, W=SL6, W=SL6, W=SL6 and then beat a SL3 for the spot.

Last night was the best night of them all in 9-Ball. Played a SL6 and beat him 20-0 with two 'break and runs' and a '9-Ball break'. I ended up having to double up were I played a SL7 (the local franchise owner) and got him 15-5.

I have a feeling in both 8 & 9 my SL will be increasing to a 7/7 very soon. Looking very forward to tonight's 8-Ball. :)

Last nights 8-ball was good, knocked off a SL7 with a score of 4-1. :)

great shooting :thumbup: you play almost as much league as i do every week. :)

tue night i played 8 ball vs a 3....their whole team is made up of 2's and 3's....problem is some of them shoot like 4's.:frown: well any way i won 5-1 ...his only win was due to my carelessness scratching on the 8 .

wed night i played double jeapordy. 1st match was 9 ball vs another 5. i lost 38-16...my worst loss since i dont know when. i played great but my opponent played amazingly well. it went 6 innings with him playing 3 safes.

i was hoping to play him again in 8 ball but they threw a 6 against me. i won 4-1 with his only win being an 8 on the break the 1st rack.

that 9 ball loss stung....not because i lost ...but how bad. i was looking to redeem myself in 8 ball against the same guy but beating their 6 4-1 soothed my pride a little.:D

had a bye fri night in scotch doubles.

i was playing napa on saturdays but it folded due to not having enough players.:(

i have masters today at 2:00 then double jeapordy tonite .

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great shooting :thumbup: you play almost as much league as i do every week. :)

tue night i played 8 ball vs a 3....their whole team is made up of 2's and 3's....problem is some of them shoot like 4's.:frown: well any way i won 5-1 ...his only win was due to my carelessness scratching on the 8 .

wed night i played double jeapordy. 1st match was 9 ball vs another 5. i lost 38-16...my worst loss since i dont know when. i played great but my opponent played amazingly well. it went 6 innings with him playing 3 safes.

i was hoping to play him again in 8 ball but they threw a 6 against me. i won 4-1 with his only win being an 8 on the break the 1st rack.

that 9 ball loss stung....not because i lost ...but how bad. i was looking to redeem myself in 8 ball against the same guy but beating their 6 4-1 soothed my pride a little.:D

had a bye fri night in scotch doubles.

i was playing napa on saturdays but it folded due to not having enough players.:(

i have masters today at 2:00 then double jeapordy tonite .

Thanks. How did you end up making out in double jeapordy?

It did happen and I went up to a SL7 in both 8/9ball. Its made me more determined than ever to work on aspects of my game that I know I'm lacking in. Which are mainly kicking and safety play.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. How did you end up making out in double jeapordy?

It did happen and I went up to a SL7 in both 8/9ball. Its made me more determined than ever to work on aspects of my game that I know I'm lacking in. Which are mainly kicking and safety play.

did not play masters....no one from the other team showed.

i just played 8 ball double jeapordy cause i got some new players and i need to get them some matches in.. i lost 5-2 to a good friend of mine who is a 7. actually i beat myself...flubbed a few shots i should make easily.:(

tue nite ball travel i lost 3-3 to a 4 i had never played before. he is the best 4 i have ever encountered. i played about a dozen safes on him and got bih once. his kicking game is amazing....heck there are 7's here that cant kick as god as this guy. :eek:

wed night double jeapordy i faced another 5 in 8 ball. i won 4-2...shoulda been 4-1 but i flubbed an easy shot on the 8 once.

i faced the same guy in 9 ball but he is a 6 in that format. i won 38-19. had one of those nights where i was breaking great. i made 2 balls most of the time and had a look at the next object ball every time. most of the time i either break dry or if i make something i dont have a chance in hell at the next ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i see no one has posted on here lately.
maybe this thread has run its course but i just gotta share this past week.

last sat after dwelling on it most of the morning i decided to enter a regional qualifier. it just seemed i was not playing very good in them and was wasting my time and money.

i got there too late to enter 8 ball after hum hawing all morning so i had to wait a few hours before they started 9 ball.

1stmatch was vs a 7...won it
2nd match was vs an 8...won it.
3rd match was vs a 5..won it.
finals was vs another 5.. won it

a week later its still hard to believe i went undefeated and knocking out 2 tough opponents in a 7 and an 8.

tue night 8 ball travel. i lost 3-1 in a 3-4 race vs an older woman that is a 4. i played lousy.

wed night double jeapordy. i won 8 ball vs another 5 by 4-1
won 9 ball vs a different 5 by 38-18

fri night i faced a 6 in 9 ball and won 38-32

now the reason i am posting tonight.

i faced a 9 in 9 ball tonight and won ! i was ahead in points in the 1st 3 racks. he put a b&r on me the 4th rack and pulled even. that kinda knocked the wind out of my sails for a few innings and he got ahead of me a lil bit.

i kept telling my self to just make every ball possible and play safe when i needed to then i got my groove back.

the final score was 38-60....he still needed 15 points. yea i know i did not actually beat him and realize he would clean my clock in an even race but i beat the handicap.

it was a grwat week for me . i think masters is really helping me improve.

now this week i will probably get creamed by a 4. its happened before after having a few great matches..

SlashingAxe

Pool newbie
Silver Member
All great wins Lorider and congrats going undefeated for the qualifiers especially about the 7 and 8 those are always great confidence boosters.

As for me I played my last match of the season Thursday sadly our team was already last place through no fault of my own but they sure did want to use me as a scapegoat(despite having the highest win record amongst most of the league and also only one of two people on my team with a winning record...). Anyways for 9 ball I played one of my greatest friends in pool(Takis if u ever see em strike a convo with him) and the first person I ever asked if I can play with them(surprisingly this was the first time in 4 seasons I play him in APA). He welcomed me with such hospitality introducing me to his wife and teammates(on my first time meeting him). We are both 4's and he normally beats me every time since I see em as a mentor I just can't seem to play my all against him and even he will ask me wtf is up that he wants to play my best me. Finally though I beat em in a very close 31-30. After that I played 8 ball against another close friend and their captain who's a 4 and I'm a 5. I lousily did not see where my ball would go first match and scratched while making the 8. Second game she played well. Third I won and the fourth game well she won again as she was shooting great and I wasn't losing 1-3(4-3 race). After this season though my captain said there may not be a team as there's only been 5 of us past two seasons and with three members having losing records and if anyone can't make it we have to forfeit a match(we already have to in 9 as we've gone past the skill cap)I believe they just got discouraged so I may be on hiatus or find a team who needs someone but my league is full

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was kind of worried about joining a league, but I'm ending our regular season with 8 wins and 3 losses and a 7 rating. I didn't realize that when they say "Everyone can play" they really mean it...for better or for worse. The next step is probably a masters league where I will get my butt kicked but it has been a cool experience so far.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was kind of worried about joining a league, but I'm ending our regular season with 8 wins and 3 losses and a 7 rating. I didn't realize that when they say "Everyone can play" they really mean it...for better or for worse. The next step is probably a masters league where I will get my butt kicked but it has been a cool experience so far.

You won't get your butt kicked, "everyone can play" in masters too.