how are ya'll doing in league ?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
After a completely horrible showing in 8-ball on Tuesday, I bounced back nicely at 9-ball last night, beating an SL6 16-4.

He was clearly not playing up to his usual form (he and I have played each other for years, always fun matches) and I played much better than I have in the last few weeks, tho I did have a few stinkers, more than I should have.

Onward and hopefully upward

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a completely horrible showing in 8-ball on Tuesday, I bounced back nicely at 9-ball last night, beating an SL6 16-4.

He was clearly not playing up to his usual form (he and I have played each other for years, always fun matches) and I played much better than I have in the last few weeks, tho I did have a few stinkers, more than I should have.

Onward and hopefully upward

Nice shooting dub.

I hope I pick up sat morning where I left off Thur night.

Like you I sometimes play pretty decent then have been known to stink up the place .

I doubt if we do very good since we only have 4 eligible players in the cities but strange things can happen during a match.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Nice shooting dub.

I hope I pick up sat morning where I left off Thur night.

Like you I sometimes play pretty decent then have been known to stink up the place .

I doubt if we do very good since we only have 4 eligible players in the cities but strange things can happen during a match.

We did a Tri-Cup once with just four players, got into the final round. Definetely a challenge, but it can be done! Good luck

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are always those conspiracies... There are always grumblings about teams that may have a division rep or known friend on a team who's ranks never seem to change for that team as they constantly place 1st in their division.

But the reality is that you don't focus in on the teams in that division who are always loosing. Are they "family" or "fun" teams who don't really care about winning? Are all the rosters poached of talent or just a weak region?

There is plausible deniability for the LO to have a "ringer" team. Heck, we made it to vegas with a strong roster that had 1 rank change during the tournament, and that was the only rank change in over a year. Plus it was the 7 bumping to an 8, not our 3's who have been killing it in the standings for the past 12 months.

And I know for a FACT that we aren't one of her favorite teams (completely due to my me). :)

My team is the one that made it to nationals last year in eight ball, got back had a few people complain about our handicaps few players went up, put us in tight spot. And here we go again this year love it.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played 9 ball last night vs an 8. I won 13-7.. It's strange how 7's ...8's and 9's dont intimidate me. I guess its because I dont really expect to win so I feel no pressure at and and I wind up shooting pretty good. I put pressure on myself against 5's and 6's and its more or less a 50/50 shot I win. When I win i win big like last week it was 18-2 vs another 5.

Good shooting 3's and 4's worry the crap out of me and it shows sometimes and i lose.

Did not play 8 ball last night..

Debating on whether to go to 9 ball league tonight. Like I said in a previous post...i have cut back playing 5 nights a week. Getting too old to work all day and stay out late at league...especially not its pretty hot outside.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked the player standings last night.
I am 2nd out of 61 players.
The guy in first place was ahead of me by 43 points.He has 5 more games then me due to my team already having a bye week.
I scored a 46 out of 50 last night.
We will see how this all shakes out next Wednesday.
Also when his team has their bye week I could be in first place.
Measureman takes no prisoners.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
No big table play along with once a week is starting to catch up with me, getting out of line mostly.
Won7 - 6 against a guy I beat 7-0 last time, and he hasn't improved lol. Broke dry everytime too.
Jason
56 and 14 now grrrrrrrrrr

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Played the toughest match I've had in a long time last night.....against a SL2.

Never a fan of throwing off, tho I wasn't surprised when the other captain did so. The lady is a friend, and has been improving her game in the last year or so.

After the first couple racks, I thought I was gonna get 20-oh'd....or at least beaten 18-2. She was making shots from everywhere, and I couldn't run 3 balls.

I hung in tho, and eventually she started missing, i started putting small runs together and I pulled out the 12-8 win. Most stressful match I had in a very long time.

JohnBoy21

Registered
I've been doing pretty good in my 9 ball league the past couple sessions. I finally got moved up to a 5 after a good showing at the ltc's a couple weeks ago. Last night was my first league night as a 5 and I beat another 5 who has been in the league forever 17 to 3.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
I've been doing pretty good in my 9 ball league the past couple sessions. I finally got moved up to a 5 after a good showing at the ltc's a couple weeks ago. Last night was my first league night as a 5 and I beat another 5 who has been in the league forever 17 to 3.

Well done!!! Does it feel good to move up and play well?

IMHO, after moving to a 5 it was those strong rank 3's who give me the most trouble. The handicap is just at the point where 5 vs. 3 gives the advantage to the 3. Please chime in in a few months after you've played some 3's and LMK if this feeling is total garbage, or if you also find those strong 3's to be the most troublesome.

And a bit of the same with rank 7. If they are even medium skill level 7's then it's a tough mathematical match-up.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been on a long winning streak... maybe 10-11 matches. Part of that is playing mostly in a masters league that is not that competitive. I did have a hill-hill match against one of the better 7's in the handicapped league that I managed to pull out 5-4 after being down 3-1. I wasn't playing my best but ran out when I had to and did a good job of not giving him good opportunities.

As a 7 I'm least happy to match up against 4's. Our local leagues don't really mark safeties so 4's (and even many 3's) can easily run out a few balls to win. If you're not breaking and running, a 5-2 match against a strong 4 is difficult, especially early in the night.

JohnBoy21

Registered
Well done!!! Does it feel good to move up and play well?

IMHO, after moving to a 5 it was those strong rank 3's who give me the most trouble. The handicap is just at the point where 5 vs. 3 gives the advantage to the 3. Please chime in in a few months after you've played some 3's and LMK if this feeling is total garbage, or if you also find those strong 3's to be the most troublesome.

And a bit of the same with rank 7. If they are even medium skill level 7's then it's a tough mathematical match-up.

It definitely feels good to move up and I'm happy that I did. I'm playing to get better not stay the same rank for years and years like alot of the people in my area. I'll share some experiences in the months to come. My area also for some reason they always match up ranks. People get pretty upset when you throw a 2 against a 6 or vice versa. Even if you throw a 4 against a 5 people get mad sometimes.

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
I got called a "Sandbaggin' MF'r" last night in APA 9-Ball...I guess when you keep getting 4-5 ball runs handed to you and you capitalize you're a bagger...FWIW we were both 4's.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After 9 weeks I made it to top shooter.
I'm 7 points ahead of second place.
Last night i posted a perfect 50 points so i still will be in first place.
My team has finally given up last place and we are now midway to first place.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won both 8+9 on Thursday night. Then we had our top gun 9 ball tourney yesterday where I won 2, lost 1 then ran off 9 in a row to win the tourney. Felt great because I got 2nd last session and to make another run deep into the tourney and win felt awesome. I literally got on the table after a two hour break after my first loss and ran 9 games in a row. Few close ones in there and several dominating wins. It was fun!

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Havent replied to this thread in quite some time, but I follow it and just want to congratulate everyone who is improving, and all the teams who've made it to their leagues respective National tournament... :thumbup:

Every time I am about to post to this thread, I feel like I just have to much to say and never finish the post (lol). So from now on, im just going to try and quickly post it..

So, quickly, my TAP 9-ball team won to play in the Charleston SC National Tournament in Nov. Our 8-ball team is in the final 4 to go as well, and will be finishing it up this week.. Both played at National in Nashville last year, with the 8ball team finishing 5th and in the money.

Played APA 8-ball last night. Im a 7, and as my team has gotten better and gone up in H/C, I've been able to shoot less and less. Last night was my 3rd match of the session (im now 3-0 on the session), and I believe we've played around 9 weeks or so..

I played a 6 who is about the 4th best 6 in the league (out of around 12), and won 5-1, with 0 safeties.

- 1st game, he broke dry, I ran out

- 2nd game, I broke dry, he made 6 balls, I ran out

- 3rd game, went I think 5 innings, played a number of 2-way shots, I won

- 4th game, I was on a break n run with one ball left before the 8. My captain saw where I was lining the shot up and called a time out. Said he thought I should shoot it in the side instead of taking it up in the corner, where I had a 'helper' ball of my opponents. I listened, and missed (I hate side pockets on bar tables, the angle facing is different than on Diamond, which Im used to shooting on...). He ran out and won..

- 5th game was a cluster-Fu@% that I won after I think around 4 or 5 innings. I made 3 really nice shots to get out though, and was pretty proud of myself to get out. He had the table position on me, and I was able to maneuver around to get out..

- 6th game I broke and ran (after B****ing about the stupid APA 'you are what you make on the break rule', then running it out, lol...).

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last night was a disaster.
I did not play well and my opponents all very good players did.
I scored a 32 out of 50 points.
My position of top player is now in doubt based on the miserable 32 points I scored.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a pretty good week overall

Tue night 8 ball vs another 5 in a 4-4 race. I was down 2-0 before I finally started shooting and won 4in a row to win 4-2

Wed night double jeapordy

Have you ever played some one that is better than you but every time you play them you are to have their number ? Well most of the time anyway.:D it was that way this night..in 8 ball I won 4-2 vs a 6. Played the same guy in 9 ball where he is a 7 and I won 38-28..granted he seemed to be off but I played well enough to put the smack down on him. :D

Thur night 9 ball.

Entirely different story. I lost 38-23 to another 5. He won the lag and scratched on the break and i ran the table..i broke dry and he ran a few and played safe. I avoided giving him bih but left him good..he runs a few and plays safe. I avoid giving him bih but he is left hard. He smacks the crap outa the object ball and 2 balls fall and he is left good. He runs a few more and slops a few in. Well to make it short he saw he could not out play me so he resorted to slopping balls in left and right at warp speed . Sometimes making 2 at a time. All I could do was shake my head while my team mates was laughing their a$$ off.

Today at masters. Won my 1st match 7-6 vs a 6/7. Lost my 2nd match 7-3 vs a 7/9.