how are ya'll doing in league ?

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Shooting great so far this year, riding that wave of dead punch until it foams out.

I'd like to keep it going as long as possible, so keeping my promise to myself that I'll play more in 2018.

kcnate66

C Speed
Been struggling lately getting it handed it to me by some good players. Last week I lost to another SL7 5-1 in 4 innings with him having 2 B+R's. This week I had the exact same line against a SL6, except in my favor. 5-1 victory, 2 B+Rs in 4 innings. Of course this morning all I can think about is the missed B+R in the first rack where I scratched on the ball before the 8 ball, resulting in the only game I lost.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm done playing APA.

Got bumped up to a 7 too fast and bumped up to a 9 too fast so I can't find any stable teams. Moving on to another league hopefully, soon.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Another tough week for our APA team. We won 3 out of 5, but tied at 7 points each. We are still solidly in last place at the halfway point of the season.

I had a stressful match. I (SL4) played a SL6 who was 5 of 6 this season. We were the last match of the night and he jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead after several errors on my part. I started to get it together a little and won the 3rd game. I handed him the 4th game with a terrible shot on the 8-ball to leave him an easy runout. With us each needing 2 games, I was able to bear down, limit my mistakes and play some pretty dang good pool (in comparison to my ability). I had a few good safeties, and I think my methodical approach and patience started taking their toll on him. I was told after the match that he went and got a chair to sit in for a bit and was also shooting balls on another table while I shot. I manage to get through the last to games to pull a 3 to 3 upset.

I'm very happy with how I played, and this is two straight matches where I've played well. I'm now 4 of 6 on the season, hopefully I can keep trucking.

I will tell you that from my experiences being a SL6, I absolutely hate playing SL4's. There are nights where they know they need to bear down, and they do....and I'm spotting them two games. Ugh.

Maniac

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you consider that maybe you’re just pretty good?

I did but I don't think I'm a 7 and a 9 based on the fact that I've played different APA players from different areas. The area I predominantly play in, the LO is pretty notorious for raising players quickly to break teams up so people have to bring in new players, etc.

Also, the players within this particular league have very inflated ideas on what they "think" a 7 or a 9 actually is. I'm a good player, for sure, but I don't think I'm a 7 or a 9 in another league. Hopefully I'll find out for sure, soon.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did but I don't think I'm a 7 and a 9 based on the fact that I've played different APA players from different areas. The area I predominantly play in, the LO is pretty notorious for raising players quickly to break teams up so people have to bring in new players, etc.

Also, the players within this particular league have very inflated ideas on what they "think" a 7 or a 9 actually is. I'm a good player, for sure, but I don't think I'm a 7 or a 9 in another league. Hopefully I'll find out for sure, soon.

I like the way you think. But let me remind you: I’ve been the worst SL-9 in the world for many years. Don’t try to take that title away from me.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lost to a skill level 2 last night in 8 ball that can barely bridge a cue. I am soooo disappointed in myself.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lost to a skill level 2 last night in 8 ball that can barely bridge a cue. I am soooo disappointed in myself.

You sandbagger ;)

I'm a 7/7 in APA, and def feel like I'm a weak 7 in 8 ball. Last session I handled the 5s and up, but lost to two 3s and a 4. Some nights it just goes that way. I'm excited because two new teams joined our league both with a 7/9 and both with very strong 6s. New blood! I beat the 7/8 who went 9-1 last session last week in 8 ball, and hope I get to play the two 7/9s and test myself.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sandbagger ;)

I'm a 7/7 in APA, and def feel like I'm a weak 7 in 8 ball. Last session I handled the 5s and up, but lost to two 3s and a 4. Some nights it just goes that way. I'm excited because two new teams joined our league both with a 7/9 and both with very strong 6s. New blood! I beat the 7/8 who went 9-1 last session last week in 8 ball, and hope I get to play the two 7/9s and test myself.

Everyone tells me I am Sandbagger, because I am a 7 in 9 ball and a 4 in 8 Ball. I can't win in 8 ball to save my life.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone tells me I am Sandbagger, because I am a 7 in 9 ball and a 4 in 8 Ball. I can't win in 8 ball to save my life.

I've honestly never seen someone with a 3 level skill difference. That's impressive! :p
What size tables are y'all playing on? My guess would be bar tables and maybe you're getting too aggressive in 8 ball and maybe getting trapped in one ball hell. We play mainly on tough 8 footers where I'm at, but there are some strong 4s here where if they played 9 ball on the 7 footers I could possibly see them being ranked a 7 in 9.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've honestly never seen someone with a 3 level skill difference. That's impressive! :p
What size tables are y'all playing on? My guess would be bar tables and maybe you're getting too aggressive in 8 ball and maybe getting trapped in one ball hell. We play mainly on tough 8 footers where I'm at, but there are some strong 4s here where if they played 9 ball on the 7 footers I could possibly see them being ranked a 7 in 9.

We do play on 7 footers for league. I think patience does get in my trouble playing 8 ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We do play on 7 footers for league. I think patience does get in my trouble playing 8 ball.

You gotta think of 8 ball like chess.....if you cant run out. I became a 6 the first year in apa . Always tried to run out ever rack. Most racks went one inning with me either running out or selling out.....against higher level players that is.

I finally took a good players advice...if you cant run out play safe. I also now move balls AR und a lot...either mine or my opponents. When I started doing that I went back to a 5 and have a lil higher win percentage .

I keep fluctuating between a 5/6 in 9 ball but have stayed a 5 in 8 ball for 6 years now.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Perhaps you're underestimating yourself. I've always found most of the player from Chicago to be a little under-ranked by our local standards here, you guys were just better
though things have evened out in the past few yours. Tell you what, why don't you make a trip to Las Vegas in April or in August and invest yourself in some of the minis out there.
Playing at home where you know most people and they know you isn't the best way to judge your ability. You do have to meet certain criteria to advance your S/L. You may
still be at the lower end of S/L 7, but I would bet that you're pretty much where you belong

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will tell you that from my experiences being a SL6, I absolutely hate playing SL4's.
Maniac

I try to take full advantage of this. I'm worried I'll get bumped up because my 4 nights of winning have been 4-0, 3-0, 3-0, and 3-2 (3-5 race). Some have had high innings though, so we'll see tomorrow when the site is updated. My losses have been 3-0 and 5-0 though, so that's something. :wink:
Although I love winning, I'm really playing this season to just get better. The rating is what it is, and I'll do the best I can either way.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I HATE playing a SL2! No offense to them, and I have nothing against them... it is just stressful to me because every shot I have to start all over in planning my pattern since they general move everything around. There are definitely some exceptions, but usually those matches make me pull my hair out (and even at 38, I don't have much).:lmao:

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had the first night of the house league we signed up for on Tuesday. I started out a little shaky, but got it together and beat a solid 4.

I'd like some advice though... my wife plays on the same team as me in both of our leagues, and is truly a strong SL3, or even a week SL4. The problem is that she is playing like CRAP every league night, is still ranked an SL2 and has only won 2 of 7 matches.

She swears it isn't nerves and gets defensive when I try to talk to her about it. Everyone on both of our teams says it nerves though, and it seems to me like she is forcing every shot and not loosening up.

She is a much better shot even during warmups than during matches. She has played in small local tourneys a lot, and never had this problem in them, but this is her first session in leagues. She has the competitive edge and we play co-ed softball where she has never really had nerves or anything.

She won't listen to much of what I say about the subject, but after seeing guys playing with headphones in the last couple of weeks, I did recommend she give that a try this week (she has mentioned hearing people was bothering her). Aside from that, I have no ideas.

Any advice on how I can get her to settle in and play like she is capable of?

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have not really played league pool or pool in general since the end of last August. I think I was getting a little burned out and my play in general was showing it. Finally going to get back into it as the urge to play is getting stronger (probably due to watching the DCC). I was in about 3 leagues at the time in APA, BCA, and TAP but for sure this time will just stick to 1 league a week.

Don't know how people can play in multiple leagues back-to-back and not get burned out. Granted I always ended up staying after league play (free pool!) and would be so damn tired the next day. It's a shame though cause the leagues around my area have good people with a fairly high overall skill rating that made the leagues competitive. I actually enjoyed my APA team and TAP team, but will just stick to BCA unfortunately. Contrary to what seems to be the overall feeling on AZ about the competition levels, but I have always found leagues to be a good way to keep sharp. I'm not the strongest player, APA sl8 and sl7 and an overrated TAP sl7, but I always played people that kept me in stroke. Good luck to everyone this session.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps you're underestimating yourself. I've always found most of the player from Chicago to be a little under-ranked by our local standards here, you guys were just better
though things have evened out in the past few yours. Tell you what, why don't you make a trip to Las Vegas in April or in August and invest yourself in some of the minis out there.
Playing at home where you know most people and they know you isn't the best way to judge your ability. You do have to meet certain criteria to advance your S/L. You may
still be at the lower end of S/L 7, but I would bet that you're pretty much where you belong

This is certainly possible. I am basing my conclusion based on the various players I've seen around Chicago and Wisconsin and many of them are great reasons why the APA might want to bump up 9-ball to SL10s or 11s, haha. Being a "9" is such a gray area, I feel.

That being said, one of the local places I play at has tournaments every Friday and Saturday and some very strong players show up and I'm acclimating to the pressure and finally improving, again.