how are ya'll doing in league ?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had the first night of the house league we signed up for on Tuesday. I started out a little shaky, but got it together and beat a solid 4.

I'd like some advice though... my wife plays on the same team as me in both of our leagues, and is truly a strong SL3, or even a week SL4. The problem is that she is playing like CRAP every league night, is still ranked an SL2 and has only won 2 of 7 matches.

She swears it isn't nerves and gets defensive when I try to talk to her about it. Everyone on both of our teams says it nerves though, and it seems to me like she is forcing every shot and not loosening up.

She is a much better shot even during warmups than during matches. She has played in small local tourneys a lot, and never had this problem in them, but this is her first session in leagues. She has the competitive edge and we play co-ed softball where she has never really had nerves or anything.

She won't listen to much of what I say about the subject, but after seeing guys playing with headphones in the last couple of weeks, I did recommend she give that a try this week (she has mentioned hearing people was bothering her). Aside from that, I have no ideas.

Any advice on how I can get her to settle in and play like she is capable of?
Here’s my advice. Remember you are there to have fun. Leave her alone; if its nerves, you’ll make it worse by trying to help. Let her get settled in to the routine. It may take a session but it WILL happen. Everyone gets used to it at their own pace.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s my advice. Remember you are there to have fun. Leave her alone; if its nerves, you’ll make it worse by trying to help. Let her get settled in to the routine. It may take a session but it WILL happen. Everyone gets used to it at their own pace.

I'll give it a shot. I've never said much, but I'll try saying nothing.

On another note, APA stats were updated for this week and I was bumped to an SL5. :frown: Looks like the challenge just got harder.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
My eyesight is getting really bad - really fast. Didn't play last night. Trying to sit out til after eye surgery. Team won. New kid I recruited played his first league game - and did really well. He lost - but played cool, isn't a "banger", and doesn't seem to be bothered at all by new environment. I think he'll work out much better than the guy I picked up for 8ball. (who showed up really drunk Monday night).

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my butt kicked by another SL 5 tonight, 16-4. Not a pretty sight, sigh...

Well dub .....look on the bright side. Its not as bad as my 18-2 loss vs another 5 last night. Yep ...18-2. My 2nd worse loss that I can ever recall ....and it was against someone with the same handicap.

I knew I shoulda stayed home after a bad day at work and was really intending to but we were shorthanded due to 2 players playing in 8 ball tri cups which started last night.

I won the lag and broke and made the one ball. Cue ball was almost on the foot spot and almost touching the 4 ball. The 7 and 9 were froze against the 4 also. The 2 ball was close to the head string and just a slight cut to go in the top corner pocket. The 3 ball was close to the bottom rail behind the cluster with the 9. I decided I was gonna drill the 2 ball in the top corner with a lil inside using force follow off the top rail to get back down on the 3.

I had to jack up due to being against the 4 ball and I drilled that sucker dead center pocket with the cue ball coming straight back down table off the top rail. Helluva beautiful shot. Whoa ! The cue ball starts slowing down pretty fast and I am 3inches from having a clean shot at the 3.

No choice but to kick off the bottom rail. I make a good kick but leave the 3 where he has an was shot. He then drills the 4 and the 7 falls in the bottom corner and he runs out.

He breaks the 2nd rack and pockets a few balls and then I finish up the rack. I break the 3rd rack...make a ball and shoot the 1 and 2 but miss the 3. He runs out. He breaks and makes 7 balls before missing the 8 and I finish the rack.

3 racks and only 1 inning so far. We settle down and play like 5's the rest of the match but he is always leaving me kicking unintentionally. a real bad night for me.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say about league last week is I need to work on my safety play...will leave it at that

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I don't play league much these days, but I do still sub from time to time. Had my worst night ever a couple of months ago and might as well share, lol. It's the ACS 8 ball league, playing 5 games total for the session. I'm scheduled to break only twice that night. Guess what, opponents broke and ran on me each of their three times. To make matters worse, they didn't even have the courtesy to pocket any balls on the break that score for me.

Out of the two games I broke, the first game, I ran 5 balls and missed, opponent ran out. So after 4 games, I'm stuck 40 to 5, lol. How about them apples? I managed to win my last game, so I managed to get to 15 for the night.

My hat was off to them, they obviously played great. I got their # though, and they know it..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play league much these days, but I do still sub from time to time. Had my worst night ever a couple of months ago and might as well share, lol. It's the ACS 8 ball league, playing 5 games total for the session. I'm scheduled to break only twice that night. Guess what, opponents broke and ran on me each of their three times. To make matters worse, they didn't even have the courtesy to pocket any balls on the break that score for me.

Out of the two games I broke, the first game, I ran 5 balls and missed, opponent ran out. So after 4 games, I'm stuck 40 to 5, lol. How about them apples? I managed to win my last game, so I managed to get to 15 for the night.

My hat was off to them, they obviously played great. I got their # though, and they know it..:rolleyes:

When I started this thread way back when I invited all leagues . I asked that there be no league bashing like what goes on in most threads concerning leagues and I am proud to say that so far this has been a very civil and fun thread. Of course I believe many of us have our preference of one league over another and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So with that said I hope you dont take this the wrong way. I used to play bcapl and often times experienced what you posted. I never really cared for the round robin format such as you described in your post with acs.

Yea its a real bummer to only play each opponent one time and you only break twice out of 5 matches. When those guys put a break and run on you you never get a shot at them until weeks later. Like you my hat is off to guys who can break and run out but I much prefer a race to whatever your handicap format.

As I said its all about preference.....and what you are used to. A usapl league started up in my area a few months ago and although I really enjoy apa I enjoy usapl just as much. However its come to my attention that many apa players who have tried usapl also dont like it.

They dont like the scoring system where you have to finish a rack even after you have reached your required points. There have been some come from behind wins in the last rack even though one person reached their required points and the match would have stopped right then and there in apa.

Some dont like alternate break

Some dont like spotting the 8 if you make it on the break

Some dont like scratching on the 8 is not a loss.

It was no surprise to me to learn that most who complained about usapl have never played any league except apa.

I have played every league that was available in my area over the years and have enjoyed every one . The different rules of each league dont bother me like it apparently does some people because I look at it as what applies to me also applies to my opponent. Of course I have my preferences on rules but you take the good with the bad.

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I have played APA since ‘98, but have a question.

If I play someone one skill level under me for a bunch of weeks in a row, and win 4-1 each week (so they are never getting to the hill), will I ever go up in Skill Level? Innings are high, but NOT due to defenses. The innings are high due to unfortunate leaves, etc.

Just wonder how the league could calculate raising me in those cases.

Yes, I know they take your best 10 of last 20.

Thanks!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If I play someone one skill level under me for a bunch of weeks in a row, and win 4-1 each week (so they are never getting to the hill), will I ever go up in Skill Level? Innings are high, but NOT due to defenses. The innings are high due to unfortunate leaves, etc.

Thanks!

I dont see th het raised just on your win record or the score of the match. Sure they both are a factor but they are not the only factors. You stated your matches go a bunch of innings. That is one factor of you not being raised .

If you played in usapl your rating would surely go up winning matches on a 4-1 basis regardless of how many innings or safeties played.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

You SHOULD go up and IMO you would..

When you win the innings font really matter. I believe once you win there is an implied score that is used.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We tied 6-6 with on an off night for a couple people.on our team..

I won 2-0 but i shouldn't have lost any games.

We were in 2nd going into the week so we still should be in range with lots of weeks to go.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had usapl tonight . I played a 525 in both 8and 9 . I won 8 ball 4-2....lost 9 ball 4-3. This guy is an apa 7/8. Cant believe I am rated only 14 points behind him at a 511.

I had to replay 9 ball vs a 514. I just didn't have it mentally or physically in me to play 3 matches back to back. . Well that's my excuse for losing 5-2 lol. Cant take nothing away from my opponent. He shot darn good. Oh yea...i don't know what this guy would be in apa as he has never played apa.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I done done it again!

APA 8-ball...third week. The previous two weeks I had to come from behind and win four games in a row to win my match...and did.

Last night I (SL6) played the other team's captain (SL4). I started out shooting poorly (I had the yips for some reason) and found myself losing two games to one, with him on the hill. I had to get my sh*t together and try to win four games in a row for the third consecutive week.

I won four games in a row.

It wasn't pretty...seven games in 25 innings w/10 defensive shots between the two of us, but winning ugly is still winning (not that I care, but winning is still better than not winning).

Stay tuned for next week's episode.........

Maniac

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA 8-ball...third week. The previous two weeks I had to come from behind and win four games in a row to win my match...and did.

Last night I (SL6) played the other team's captain (SL4). I started out shooting poorly (I had the yips for some reason) and found myself losing two games to one, with him on the hill. I had to get my sh*t together and try to win four games in a row for the third consecutive week.

I won four games in a row.

It wasn't pretty...seven games in 25 innings w/10 defensive shots between the two of us, but winning ugly is still winning (not that I care, but winning is still better than not winning).

Stay tuned for next week's episode.........

Maniac

Nice shooting! Sometimes getting your back up against the wall is the best pool shooting juice!

Where in Texas do you play? I'm in Austin.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Thanks!

I'm guessing you're an S/L 5? One way to look at it is that you will eventually go up due primarily to your win percentage,
that's kind of it very simplified.

Keep in mind that when you, as an S/L 5 play over about (I forget what the actual number is), when you play more than
about 3.3 innings it really won't matter. You'll only get credit for playing three(ish) innings per game, and as you win that
3.3 innings will go down pretty much until you're playing at an S/L 6 level, but it will take some time.

However, if you feel that you are playing at an S/L 6 and you want to be raised, just ask in writing. If your LO agrees I'm
sure they will happily move you along.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Our 3-person No Limit League made a statement. In a league that pays out break and runs, shutouts, 9-ball on the snaps, high individual matches and high team matches, we did it all last night. We ended up playing with a template on 7' Diamond tables, and that made it easier for runout players.

Next week, probably horrific tables and no template will bring me back down to Earth.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Assuming all of my available players show up (one is out of town and another is moving) I'll be happily keeping score tonight, and not bringing the team down with my shooting.... :p

Yes, I've already chosen my lineup. Doesn't matter who the other team plays, one of the 5 that I've chosen will be playing. I go into almost every week with a planned out lineup, and rarely deviate from that (tho it has happened). I realize that I'm probably in the minority doing so...the good news is that I have a few different lineups, and they're all chosen to maximize the skill levels and 23 limit. So unless someone isn't feeling good for whatever reason, or gets too drunk, or some such, I'll be running the lineup I planned ahead for. Everyone gets to play a reasonably close amount of matches each session this way, as well.

Good luck this week everyone.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Nice shooting! Sometimes getting your back up against the wall is the best pool shooting juice!

Where in Texas do you play? I'm in Austin.

Arlington. And yes, I think I do play better under pressure.

Maniac

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Assuming all of my available players show up (one is out of town and another is moving) I'll be happily keeping score tonight, and not bringing the team down with my shooting.... :p

Yes, I've already chosen my lineup. Doesn't matter who the other team plays, one of the 5 that I've chosen will be playing. I go into almost every week with a planned out lineup, and rarely deviate from that (tho it has happened). I realize that I'm probably in the minority doing so...the good news is that I have a few different lineups, and they're all chosen to maximize the skill levels and 23 limit. So unless someone isn't feeling good for whatever reason, or gets too drunk, or some such, I'll be running the lineup I planned ahead for. Everyone gets to play a reasonably close amount of matches each session this way, as well.

Good luck this week everyone.

And my in-depth captaining execution paid off....we won 5 out of 5, got 12 points....bwahahaha (as if I had anything to do with it, heh)

We had a good night. Funny when it works that way. Helps when their best player won't come to play at our room, but that would only affect one match...