how are ya'll doing in league ?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I took my own sage advice last week, and when I got the big lead, I went into beast mode and got the shutout 9-0 in 9-Ball. Shutouts, 9-Ball snaps, and B&Rs make money in my leage. I think that one match might have made me $50.

You bully

:smile:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a blast at the hall yesterday, had about an hour til I had to be at work so I decided to race the ghost in 8 ball. I never do this, usually I always do 9 ball, but it was a lot of fun, I beat the 8 ball ghost (pro version...no taking ball in hand in the kitchen) by a score of 7-3. No, didn't record it so that'll have to be another day. I know that this isn't league related, but needed to brag a little anyway.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Continued our wining ways last night as we won 10-6. I beat a solid 5 3-1, but he gave me two games, scratch on the 8 and an early 8. I am now 7 and 2 on the session with my only loss coming to a 6 and a fluke loss to a 3. We are now in first place in the division by 5 points.

Question for experienced captains. i got this one player, he is a SL3, but has beaten two 6's, but also lost to 3 times to SL 2's. He is also one of my closest friends. Anyway he has gotten into the habit of only coming every other week. He texted me last night and said he figured it was his turn to sit out, so he would just get some work done around the house. This is the 3rd time he has done this, even after I informed him that I may need him to play since he is my only SL 3.

Now, I understand having things to get done and not wanting to wait around only to find out you are going to sit, but everyone else does it. It puts us in a bind as last night I had to sit a strong SL5 because he would have put us over the limit.

Any advice on how to approach this? I just feel it is not a "team" first attitude to have. Everyone else shows up and if they need to sit, they either hang around and watch the match or they leave.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a rough night in usapl. I am a 502 this week and I faced a 525 in 8 ball. I lost 5-0. It has been years since i got shut out in 8 ball . I think this guy is an apa 7.

I faced a 515 in 9 ball and I was up 4-0 and then my focus went in the crapper. I did manage to win the match 5-4. This guy is an apa 6/7. I will have an established rating after last nights matches are turned in. Real interested to see what my rating will be. I did reach a high of 511 last month but dropped down a little. I hope I stay at least a 500 but doubt it after that butt whippin in 8 ball last night.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a rough night in usapl. I am a 502 this week and I faced a 525 in 8 ball. I lost 5-0. It has been years since i got shut out in 8 ball . I think this guy is an apa 7.

I faced a 515 in 9 ball and I was up 4-0 and then my focus went in the crapper. I did manage to win the match 5-4. This guy is an apa 6/7. I will have an established rating after last nights matches are turned in. Real interested to see what my rating will be. I did reach a high of 511 last month but dropped down a little. I hope I stay at least a 500 but doubt it after that butt whippin in 8 ball last night.

An APA 7 could be a mid 500 or even low 500 level player in Fargo, it's the result of APA rating being mostly based on the area you play in. A league with weaker players can produce a 7 in 8 ball that is a worse player than a 6 in another area.

In a few tournaments where they used Fargo I played in, if a new player came in with no Fargo rating, and was a top ranked player in APA 7 or 9 in 9 ball, he would be put in as a 600, which is A-.

My brother in law who is a 7 in 8 ball and a 9 in 9 ball is rated as a 591 in Fargo. From knowing how he plays, that is pretty accurate.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I have seen first hand a team so blatantly trying to work the system...

Well, how about this: a few years ago a team in my league duplicated themselves to work the system. Two teams, same players. One league night they sandbag constantly and lose. Next league night they play their best, but their SL is depressed by all the sandbagging...

A crackerjack pool detective on my team spotted it and brought the evidence to the LO. They were kicked out.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my students asked me about the mental game, and how to stop falling apart when you’re building a big lead. I gave him some Cornerman sage, sensei , Miyagi advice, and he went on to win his next two matches from the lead, crushing it for the wins./QUOTE]

Cornerman, you can’t tell this story without regaling us with with your advice. What’s your secret to staying ahead?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An APA 7 could be a mid 500 or even low 500 level player in Fargo, it's the result of APA rating being mostly based on the area you play in. A league with weaker players can produce a 7 in 8 ball that is a worse player than a 6 in another area.

In a few tournaments where they used Fargo I played in, if a new player came in with no Fargo rating, and was a top ranked player in APA 7 or 9 in 9 ball, he would be put in as a 600, which is A-.

My brother in law who is a 7 in 8 ball and a 9 in 9 ball is rated as a 591 in Fargo. From knowing how he plays, that is pretty accurate.

As you know there can be a wide variance in actual skill levels as an apa 7 in 8 ball since it tops out at 7. In 9 ball it goes on up to 9. You also mentioned skill levels vary at the same handicap from region to region. I also am aware that our numbers may be skewed because we have a fairly new league and have only played each other numerous times. I think once some players here play other players from other areas can give a better idea of how accurate our ratings are.

The players I mentioned with the low 500 handicaps are 6/7 and 7/7 . We also have a 7/8 and a 7/9. The 7/8 is rated at 572. The 7/9 is rated at 611.. . Right up there with your brother in law who is a 7/9 and 591. I cant wait to pls players from other areas to see if my rating is accurate ....or not.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of my students asked me about the mental game, and how to stop falling apart when you’re building a big lead. I gave him some Cornerman sage, sensei , Miyagi advice, and he went on to win his next two matches from the lead, crushing it for the wins.

Cornerman, you can’t tell this story without regaling us with with your advice. What’s your secret to staying ahead?

I need quicker setup guys. And thank you.

The word is goals. Sometimes I (and everyone) have goals like “play your best,” “play like you know you can,” or “don’t suck tonight.” Unfortunately, those are highly attainable goals, and often a player will simply attain their goal early in the match. Often, they have a let down as, after all, they hit their goal. Winning or losing at that point is all based on the opponent, who still has a goal.

If you know you have a solid game, change your goal to something that carries you over the finish line:

- Give them a finishing scoring line that will have them talking in their sleep
- Look so good that the waitress will be asking for your number, and your opponent asks for lessons
- Don’t let them have an open look any time he steps to the table
- Beat and set your personal record (for league scoring, for example)

Like that. And I’m sure you all can come up with better ones that target getting all the way through the finish line. Because sometimes, our own skill will shut us down, depending on how we set and achieve that goal.

Freddie <~~~ might send this to Blackjack

Last edited:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question for my other APA league players. I am still not a fan of 8 ball. But have playing a couple sessions on a 8 ball team to help them out.

BTW - I have no proof of any wrong doing. We have been neck and neck with the owner of the bar's team. Anyway. We played them 2 weeks ago and made up a lot of ground.
Only a few points between us going in to last week. We did well last week. My team won and I think we had 8 points. the Owner of the bars team played the Bar Manager's team.
Needless to say, The Owner's team beat the Manager's team 13 to 1. That's correct 13 to 1 and now they are firmly out of our reach going in to the last night of the session which is tonight.

My thing is.., I do not put it past the Owner and Manager to work out something. Also our LO for APA knows these people. I don't understand why a 13 to 1 would not throw up a flag at the local APA Office.

Am I wrong to think this was done on purpose? Basically all my hard work doesn't count for anything if people manipulate the system.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Quick question for my other APA league players. I am still not a fan of 8 ball. But have playing a couple sessions on a 8 ball team to help them out.

BTW - I have no proof of any wrong doing. We have been neck and neck with the owner of the bar's team. Anyway. We played them 2 weeks ago and made up a lot of ground.
Only a few points between us going in to last week. We did well last week. My team won and I think we had 8 points. the Owner of the bars team played the Bar Manager's team.
Needless to say, The Owner's team beat the Manager's team 13 to 1. That's correct 13 to 1 and now they are firmly out of our reach going in to the last night of the session which is tonight.

My thing is.., I do not put it past the Owner and Manager to work out something. Also our LO for APA knows these people. I don't understand why a 13 to 1 would not throw up a flag at the local APA Office.

Am I wrong to think this was done on purpose? Basically all my hard work doesn't count for anything if people manipulate the system.

We won 11-1 last night. And we lost by at least that much earlier in the session, too.... bad nights happen for many teams. We're LTC qualified, so we have to stay in the top half of the league lest they thing we're trying to keep our skill levels down until States. So there is always suspicion, especially in the Spring Session. (I wanna make our divisions playoffs again. We don't slow down. At least we don't try to slow down, sometimes other teams find a way to do it for us, certainly!)

Now if this was a regular occurrence, or there was more evidence to suggest something shady was going on, then maybe the LO would have to look at it. But just simply a week where the score is lopsided wouldn't be enough, in my mind.

And maybe it did happen as you suspect. People are funny, and will often do shady things. That would suck, and to have to deal with it in the future would suck more.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I think ultimately you just want to make it to the playoffs, it really doesn't matter in what position.
You just want a chance to play them when it matters. So they cheat a little (maybe). They finish
first and you finish second or third, no biggie, you just want to be there on trophy night when they
can't work something out with the bar manager,
know what I mean

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No telling coop. I always try to wear rose colored glasses in situations like this but it is human nature to suspect blowouts lime you described between certain teams..

I used to play on a bar owners team and he actually had 4 other teams also. There was never any collusion between teams. It was always.....may the best team win.

I will say this about a situation I had a while back. Some people may not like what I did but there are no rules against what I did.

I had a team that had several people tell me they were not coming back the next session. It basically made us ineligible for tri cups. I saw no reason for us to play in playoffs since I would not have the required 4 eligible players for the next tri cups so we forfeited playoffs. I had a friend that was trying to get his team in playoffs and we faced them the last week of the session. He needed a win real bad against us to make it. I decided to help him out a lil by sitting myself out and play all my low handicap players. He team still had to beat my team fair and square but he did they did not have to face my best players to do it. They won and qualified for playoffs .. .barely lol. Like I say....no rules against not playing your best line up on any given night. I would not have done it in any other situation. I knew we were not going to playoffs and I saw no need to knock another team out of a chance to make playoffs that night.

Now some may Sa I made I easy on that team to make playoffs. possibly right but them again if we had knocked them out and forfeited our playoff spot it would have his made it easier for the remaining teams.

Another situation to think about. Say we did play playoffs and qualify for tri cups. We were not eligible for tri cups and the team we knocked out of playoffs would not make tri cups either.

Really just a messed up situation al the way around when 5 players leave your team right before the last session before the last tri cup.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No telling coop. I always try to wear rose colored glasses in situations like this but it is human nature to suspect blowouts lime you described between certain teams..

I used to play on a bar owners team and he actually had 4 other teams also. There was never any collusion between teams. It was always.....may the best team win.

I will say this about a situation I had a while back. Some people may not like what I did but there are no rules against what I did.

I had a team that had several people tell me they were not coming back the next session. It basically made us ineligible for tri cups. I saw no reason for us to play in playoffs since I would not have the required 4 eligible players for the next tri cups so we forfeited playoffs. I had a friend that was trying to get his team in playoffs and we faced them the last week of the session. He needed a win real bad against us to make it. I decided to help him out a lil by sitting myself out and play all my low handicap players. He team still had to beat my team fair and square but he did they did not have to face my best players to do it. They won and qualified for playoffs .. .barely lol. Like I say....no rules against not playing your best line up on any given night. I would not have done it in any other situation. I knew we were not going to playoffs and I saw no need to knock another team out of a chance to make playoffs that night.

Now some may Sa I made I easy on that team to make playoffs. possibly right but them again if we had knocked them out and forfeited our playoff spot it would have his made it easier for the remaining teams.

Another situation to think about. Say we did play playoffs and qualify for tri cups. We were not eligible for tri cups and the team we knocked out of playoffs would not make tri cups either.

Really just a messed up situation al the way around when 5 players leave your team right before the last session before the last tri cup.

I see your point. ..,and I could be making something out of nothing. We'll see. :) Thanks guys...

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see your point. ..,and I could be making something out of nothing. We'll see. :) Thanks guys...

It's possible but without proof...

I do notice a lot of blowouts the last week or two of the season but attribute it more to teams needing victories playing their best lineups and teams that are out of it not giving a sh....

I have seen teams purposely lay down though... people that do that are pansies though.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Now if this was a regular occurrence, or there was more evidence to suggest something shady was going on, then maybe the LO would have to look at it.

The deal is...it didn't NEED to be a regular occurrence, it just needed to happen ONE time. And FWIW, what Coop was describing I have personally witnessed myself a few years ago. Also keep in mind that in a session where a team is already qualified for the LTC, they don't really give a shit what happens or where they fall in the standings for that session. It is also a prime scenario for the LTC qualified to try to lower or maintain their current skill levels.

Maniac

WinnerBreaks

Registered
I'm 5-0 in one of my APA 9 Ball leagues (but I just got bumped to an SL7 this week). We couldn't make the 23 rule so I had to sit in order for us to not break the bank.

I'm 3-2 in another APA 9 Ball league but we had a bye week on Monday.

I'm 4-1 in my APA 8 Ball league as an SL6. I played another SL6 on Monday night and had another break and run set up to kick things off but let him off the hook. I snookered myself behind one of his balls and ended up losing the rack. I ended up winning overall 4-2 though.

I'm in 1st or 2nd place in my USAPL 8 Ball league but I don't know my record off hand. I do remember I've made it to the hill each time I've lost. I have 2 break and runs and 1 or 2 table runs.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The deal is...it didn't NEED to be a regular occurrence, it just needed to happen ONE time. And FWIW, what Coop was describing I have personally witnessed myself a few years ago. Also keep in mind that in a session where a team is already qualified for the LTC, they don't really give a shit what happens or where they fall in the standings for that session. It is also a prime scenario for the LTC qualified to try to lower or maintain their current skill levels.

Maniac

I understand your point....one time cheating is one time too many.

I guess my point is that 13-1 blowouts happen. Is there supposed to be an investigation every time that happens? :p

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I guess my point is that 13-1 blowouts happen. Is there supposed to be an investigation every time that happens? :p

No. Unless somebody on one of the two teams involved confessed to foul play, it would be impossible to prove.

Maniac (doesn't let crap like this bother him anymore)