how are ya'll doing in league ?

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finished strong this session. Only played 8 ball, went rackless 4-0 with a brake and run to finish out the session.

Ended up 8-2 in 8 ball
Finished 7-2 in 9 ball.

Looking forward to being on a different team this coming session. My current (or I should say former) team finished in 1st all alone in 8 ball, and tied for first place in 9 ball. Probably be taking four to six of those members (minus the current team captain) to the new team, plus a player that was kicked off the team a few weeks earlier. In place of the captain we are going to add a really decent 5/5 and will have room for maybe one other player. Should be a gas.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 5 weeks I have been back in TAP 8 ball... I have moved from a 4 - 5 - 6 - 7. Last night I played a guy who I believe to be a much stronger player than me. But he's a 5. That's really about the skill level I thought I would be. So in a 3 to 5 race. Me having to get to 5. I didn't know if I even stood a chance. I was like, let's concentrate on removing the handicap first. So I did. got up 2-0 and then broke and made the 8. By the time it was over, I won 5-0. Never would have thought it was possible.

So great win last night for me. I am very proud of myself.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
In the 5 weeks I have been back in TAP 8 ball... I have moved from a 4 - 5 - 6 - 7. Last night I played a guy who I believe to be a much stronger player than me. But he's a 5. That's really about the skill level I thought I would be. So in a 3 to 5 race. Me having to get to 5. I didn't know if I even stood a chance. I was like, let's concentrate on removing the handicap first. So I did. got up 2-0 and then broke and made the 8. By the time it was over, I won 5-0. Never would have thought it was possible.

So great win last night for me. I am very proud of myself.

So....is it possible in TAP to go up to an 8??? If so you're soon destined to be outrunning a lot of handicaps. :thumbup:

Maniac

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So....is it possible in TAP to go up to an 8??? If so you're soon destined to be outrunning a lot of handicaps. :thumbup:

Maniac

TAP only goes to 7, I am a B+ and was a 7 in my area but only for a few weeks, I ended up being a 6 for two sessions. The 7s in TAP I have seen run out pretty well, I think there were two that I knew of when I played, me and one other newer player that probably also dropped to a 6.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maniac

I think 7 is it. lol

But it felt great to shoot so well. Maybe all my practice time is starting to show. If I could do as well in APA 9 ball, I might be ok.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was talked into joining my uncle's CPA(APA in Canada) 8-ball team after having played many seasons of VNEA/BCA. The first week was a bit of an adjustment to the rules(take what you make, no jump cues, flukes count, etc.) but I started as a 7 handicap because of the known-ability rule(the league operator knows me quite well).

My first opponent was a new player who started as a 4 and was not quite that good. The match was a bit of a struggle for me to find my stroke(I haven't played much in ages) but the guy I played was VERY nervous so it ended up 5-0 in about a dozen innings.

Tuesday this week was my 2nd match and I drew a guy who plays fairly well as a 5 but I'd tuned up a bit and found my stroke again during the previous week. The match ended 5-0 in 7 innings including snapping the 8 when I got to the hill.

I'm not sure that it's really fair for lower ranked players with a winner breaks format but only time will tell.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all good, my friend. No problems here.

Maniac

Thanks maniac. I guess I need to do a better job of conveying my actions or thoughts sometimes. In my last post....3714 ....before we got on the subject of sandbagging my last sentence stated I would not be surprised if I was raised back to a 6 after the results of my last two 9 ball matches.

I must be physic ....got to league last night and sure enough I am back ti a 6 in 9 ball.

After last nights match there is no telling what I will be next week. Lost bad but very few innings. I played another 6 and he won the lag. He broke and ran 5 balls and I ran the rest. I broke dry and he ran the table. I believe a 4 could have ran my dry Brea due to a hanger left in every pocket. Well he puts up a break and run next rack. After 3 racks in 1 inning he is up 25-5. We go back and forth the rest of the match with both of us scoring 21 points each. The end result is I lost 46-26 due to a dry break from me and a break and run from him. As I have mentioned many times.....my break costs me many matches in 9 ball but when its working I have won several matches pretty handily with some real lop sided wins.

I wound up facing the same guy in 8 ball where we are both 5's . I won 4-2 with no real fan fare during the match other than a couple safes from me with one leaving him a kick at the 8 ball and he missed and scratched.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I was raised to a 7 in 9 ball and promptly got my rear end handed to me. I kept hooking myself and my opponent was getting the rolls. On the personal side it is cool to get moved up but it hurts the team overall. Looking forward to getting more consistent leaves the rest of the way.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I was raised to a 7 in 9 ball and promptly got my rear end handed to me. I kept hooking myself and my opponent was getting the rolls. On the personal side it is cool to get moved up but it hurts the team overall. Looking forward to getting more consistent leaves the rest of the way.

I got moved up to a SL7 back about five years ago when I was at the top of my game. I haven't played a competitive game of 9-ball since. Since then due to physical health problems and subsequent medications my overall shooting is not what it once was.

If I ever play in another APA 9-ball league I'm gonna get my arse handed to me too.

Maniac

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wound up being top shooter in my league.
I got $20 !There were a couple nights that i didn't feel good and wanted to stay home.
But I forced myself to play so I would stay in contention. Thats not going to happen next time.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
After 18 months hiatus, I came back to pool. Signed up for Individual 9-ball league, then a friend convinced me to Captain his new team for Team 9-ball. In both I came in 4th-6th place, and we lost to the individual/team that won the playoffs.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maniac....you and I were discussing sandbagging the other day. Well here is a tale for you.

First though....after one week as a 5 I am back ti a 6 in 9 ball. On to the story about tonight..my second week back in usapl after taking a session off. I am a 463 and i faced a 454 in 9 ball with me going to 65 and him 62. Now remember I fluctuate between a 5 and a 6 in apa and and have a Fargo rate of 463. Now this 454 I am facing happens to be a honest to gawd and legit apa 7/9 who creamed me in apa playoffs a couple sessions ago winning every rack and I dont recall the points but it was lime a 18-2 loss for me.

In apa he spots me 37 points and here we are in usapl with me rated 9 points above him and spotting him 3 points. This guy would not make a decent actor at all . some much blatant dumping going on in our match with me winning 5-1 for a score of 71-27 .

On to 8 ball a lil while later. I face a 503 with him going to 55 and me 46. Well I wind up winning 4-0 for a score of 56-20. I just plain outshot him and won the first rack in 1 inn in. The next 3 racks on a row have me puzzled. This guy is an apa 7/7 and with a pretty accurate Fargo rate of 503 in my opinion but he damn sure was not shooting like an apa 7.... More like a 3. Scratch on the 8 and made an early 8 that had me puzzled and then the kicker was making his ball in the wrong called pocket....losing his turn and leaving me straight in on the 8. Still shaking my head about that shot an you later as I write this.

I have apa 9 ball tri cups coming up this thursday at an unheard of of before starting time....at less in this area at 6:30. Probably gonna have a lot od people running late for this. I know it does not leave me much time after work to get there.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maniac....you and I were discussing sandbagging the other day. Well here is a tale for you.

First though....after one week as a 5 I am back ti a 6 in 9 ball. On to the story about tonight..my second week back in usapl after taking a session off. I am a 463 and i faced a 454 in 9 ball with me going to 65 and him 62. Now remember I fluctuate between a 5 and a 6 in apa and and have a Fargo rate of 463. Now this 454 I am facing happens to be a honest to gawd and legit apa 7/9 who creamed me in apa playoffs a couple sessions ago winning every rack and I dont recall the points but it was lime a 18-2 loss for me.

In apa he spots me 37 points and here we are in usapl with me rated 9 points above him and spotting him 3 points. This guy would not make a decent actor at all . some much blatant dumping going on in our match with me winning 5-1 for a score of 71-27 .

On to 8 ball a lil while later. I face a 503 with him going to 55 and me 46. Well I wind up winning 4-0 for a score of 56-20. I just plain outshot him and won the first rack in 1 inn in. The next 3 racks on a row have me puzzled. This guy is an apa 7/7 and with a pretty accurate Fargo rate of 503 in my opinion but he damn sure was not shooting like an apa 7.... More like a 3. Scratch on the 8 and made an early 8 that had me puzzled and then the kicker was making his ball in the wrong called pocket....losing his turn and leaving me straight in on the 8. Still shaking my head about that shot an you later as I write this.

I have apa 9 ball tri cups coming up this thursday at an unheard of of before starting time....at less in this area at 6:30. Probably gonna have a lot od people running late for this. I know it does not leave me much time after work to get there.

Things do get funny when you face people you know in different leagues with different handicaps. Funny part is that it's easier to cheat in APA and win than in USAPL due to how the points per game are done and the fact that USAPL does not track misses or safes for handicaps, just win/loss and points vs opponent points. As pointed out earlier, you can even miss every 9 ball in an APA game and still win easily if you make the other balls in a rack, in USAPL unless you are on the low side of handicap you can't do that since a win is worth double what the other balls are worth.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week I had a bad loss to an SL4. He was just stroking it and beat me 3-1 in 12 total innings. Looking back, I was not focused and tried too many >50% shots instead of playing safe.

Last night I played a SL 6 in 8 ball and arguably the best shooter in our league. I didn't control the cueball well and missed a couple shots I have no business missing, but I played phenomenal defense. It was a grind and one game I played 6 defensive shots, which is a lot for me. Anyway I won 3-1.

My team alternates between 9 ft and 7ft tables each week. It is fun and challenging having to adapt to the different tables....not so much for teams that never play on big tables except when they come to our place a couple times each session...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Things do get funny when you face people you know in different leagues with different handicaps. Funny part is that it's easier to cheat in APA and win than in USAPL due to how the points per game are done and the fact that USAPL does not track misses or safes for handicaps, just win/loss and points vs opponent points. As pointed out earlier, you can even miss every 9 ball in an APA game and still win easily if you make the other balls in a rack, in USAPL unless you are on the low side of handicap you can't do that since a win is worth double what the other balls are worth.

I am gonna have to agree with you hang but you just don't k ow how obvious these guys were dumping last night. The last time I played these guys was 2 sessions ago during national qualifier....i did not play last session. This team went to Vegas with an apa 7/9 and a 7/8 rated lower than me who fluctuates between a 5-6. They also had another 7/9 that was only rated 5 points higher than me. I played the last 7/9 mentioned in the qualifier with him only spotting me 4 points and he clobbered me something like 75-10. Another player on that team was rated around 480 and beat my team mate who was also rated around 480 by the score of 75-6. That guy don't play apa so I dont know what hjs handicap would be but my guy is a 6/7 in apa.

I have been saying all along ....sure there are sandbaggers in apa.....but the problem is not confined to just apa.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am gonna have to agree with you hang but you just don't k ow how obvious these guys were dumping last night. The last time I played these guys was 2 sessions ago during national qualifier....i did not play last session. This team went to Vegas with an apa 7/9 and a 7/8 rated lower than me who fluctuates between a 5-6. They also had another 7/9 that was only rated 5 points higher than me. I played the last 7/9 mentioned in the qualifier with him only spotting me 4 points and he clobbered me something like 75-10. Another player on that team was rated around 480 and beat my team mate who was also rated around 480 by the score of 75-6. That guy don't play apa so I dont know what hjs handicap would be but my guy is a 6/7 in apa.

I have been saying all along ....sure there are sandbaggers in apa.....but the problem is not confined to just apa.

More tournaments need to adapt Fargo ratings, since the USAPL and any tournament that used Fargo feeds into the same system, a player that plays in a tournament will have his rating adjusted by how they do in the tournament. And since people would be idiots to dump in a tournament, their true rating will come through.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
You have to check with your participating poolhall and operator for exact times. BCA sanctioned leagues have the flexibility to set their own schedules and handicaps. unlike APA where everyone has to be in lockstep.

In my area, I have access to at least 3 BCA sanctioned leagues; Amsterdam, Society, MAPL (Megabucks) & NAPL. At Amsterdam, I started the new season of 14.1 this past weekend, while MAPL (Megabucks) is still wrapping up playoffs.

So... when does the Fall league for BCA start ....? I think I'll play this year.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our 9 ball tri cups started Thursday night and I saw that I am still a 6...hooray ! Proof I am not a sandbagger maniac .:D j/k .

My first match was vs a 7. I lost 42-55. I dont care who you are. You cannot win when you give your opponent bih off crappy breaks 3 times during your match. Yep...3 times another ball knocked the cue ball in a pocket on my break. I am happy I kept the game close....only needed 4 balls for the win.

My second match was vs another 6. I changed my break position back to a balls width off the side rail at the head string. Correction....i moved from the left side where I had tried before with limited success. I figured I could not do any worse than any other position I have tried before.

Lo and behold. I made a ball and had a decent shot at my next ball every time. I went on a roll and I was up 44-28 with my opponent breaking..he breaks and makes a ball....then pockets the 1 and 2 with nice shots....slops in the 3 and continues on for a break and run. Now the score is me 44 and him 38.

I dont usually talk to my opponent during higher tournaments but me and this guy are pretty friendly. As he was gathering the balls for me to rack I told him.....nice break and run....darn good shooting except for slopping the 3 in. He laughed and said the way I was shooting he would take all the slop he could get. He breaks and makes a ball...makes another and misses. I make 2 balls and win the match 46-40.

I would lime to comment on something a lot of people seem to have trouble with. Adapting to conditions. We played in what you would consider a dive bar with 6 valleys. As par for the course with this type of venue the tables and balls are never in what you would call great shape.

Imagine my surprise to walk into this place and see all the tables covered in brand new cloth and and brand new balls sitting on them. They must-have been replaced the day before and not played on at all.because there was not a chalk mark at all on any table or ball. The tables were fast as heck and slicker than cat dookie . Wouldn't be surprised to find out the cushions had been worked on as fast as the balls were coming off of them. Those tables really messed some players game up while others seemed to play as usual. Oh yea... We went 2 and out and as I always say after every one....all ways next time..

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a very food night at league tonight. one of my better ones in a long time. I played another 5 in 8 ball and won 4-0 in a 4-4 race.

Later I wound up facing the same guy in 9 ball where he is a 5 and I am still a 6. Hear that maniac ? :thumbup: My break was working dang good tonight. I am up 42-18 and make the 9 and the 6 on the break . As I am counting the dead balls for the scorekeeper the girl from the other team who was playing 8 ball on the table beside me turns around and hands me a tip saying....you lose this? I look at my break cue in my hand and the tip is missing. Turns out it flew off the cue landing on the table beside me right in front of her as she was down on her shot fixing to pull the trigger. I apologized profusely. Dang....just bought this cue couple of weeks ago but hey....what do you expect from a cheap 75.00 cue ? So I borrow a team mates breaker and promptly dry break the first time tonight...except for the cue ball. My opponent gets bih and proceeds to run 8 balls real quick like but freezes up against the 9. Well he is standing there visibly real upset then proceeds to drill the 9 at an angle then the damndest thing happened. The 9 shot straight towards the top right corner....hitting the top rail tip....bouncing off hitting the side rail tip then flies off the table.. Meanwhile the cue ball is heading up table also but hitting each side rail about 3 times apiece before falling in the same pocket the 9 almost fell in. He walks over and picks up the 9 ball and slams it down on the foot spot....grabs the cue ball out of the tray slams it down on the table on the table in front of the 9. So I wind up winning 46-26 in a 46-38 race. While he was running the table and got those 8 points I was thinking that crappy break is gonna cost me this match like it has done several times before. just glad I was up on him quite a bit before that happened.

I left my break shaft there to have the same tip put back on and hope its ready tomorrow afternoon before usapl tomorrow night. I might oughta take one of my other breakers just in case. Glad I bought a new 4x8 j b case tonight so i can carry another breaker .