how it used to be

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Happy Birthday Dean, indeed pool and the world of pool is very interesting, I've not been involved no where near as long as you are but have seen a number of things that fall right in line with a lot of what you said. My 11 year old wants to learn how to play, she has always liked it, gone with me to pool halls etc. Now she goes with me to a weekly tournament where we play in between my matches or if I get knocked out...I'm thinking she should probably get into softball or something but she wants to shoot pool...we'll see how it turns out.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
i was only 18 when the Hustler with Paul Newman came out,
Jack Potter was about 12 or at least he looked 12

A generation of us were immediately hooked on pool and pool hustling
There must have been 6 or 8 of us from my little town,Oak Cliff texas

We rushed out and bought 2 piece cues and quickly started gambling

There were action pool rooms in those days,24 hour pool room like the "Cotton Bowling palace"

Great players came through and we watched them play,but even beginners were eager to play for money

There was nothing like the pool league culture or tournaments,once in a great while a TV series "The Wide world of Sports " would feature something pool,Willie Mosconi ,or Wimpy vs Jersey Red,or the Johnson City Hustlers Jamboree

But every day presented us an opportunity to play,as a rule I could wim enough to pay my tuition ,and rent to go to college,soon there were pool rooms on campus and
there was action

Social life was everywhere at North Texas State,I was able to buy a Corvette and instead of wasting it on dates i took the girls pool hustling,they loved it

Looking back ,I can see that the gangster influence at the pool room affected my outlook,the kids at school were wearing madras shirts ,no socks and ivy league stuff

There I was with alligator shoes and Rolex watches,my parents could not afford to send me to school and were glad I had a pool scholarship

I remember a certain gangster night club with a bar pool table,I would take my dates there and let them watch as i won money from characters out of Damon Runyon

There were professional gangsters like Jack Ruby,R D Matthews,and an old boxer Tony Juereo who reportedly knocked out Sugar Ray Robinson or Tony Zale
,I considered them my Scholarship
I was known as school boy to them
I won so much from the owner that I had free tab on drinks,I was really caught up in the scene
My dates thought I was a TV character

Funny how before i started playing pool and gambling,I couldn't get a date
Then all of sudden I didn't care and they stood in line to go out with me

I would be at a party and they would walk up and ask me "When are you going to take me out gambling with you?"

Cheerleaders,Miss Americas , I mean life was different,if I got a really big game,I put these broads in a cab and sent them home.

They weren't used to that and it made me even more popular,I took my money and sponsored a rock party
rented an old Drive in theater,hired a band,rented a mafia restaurant in downtown Dallas for New Years

once in a while we would take road trips to other schools or places where the students heard there was action
Guys in class would tell me where there was poker action

Golf in the day time,pool in the evening and cards

We had so many crazy betting propositions.
I once won a good size bet playing 2 man football

My friend stephen lee was an all american football player and
I could throw and run, we won money betting on everything

It was funny but I was never really any good at pool,maybe a D player but I won
consistently and good players lost consistently

It is nothing like this any more,and not just for me

It would cost a fortune to travel and then where would you find action if you went

In my day it never mattered if everyone knew me, in fact it helped if they did I never tried to sneak up on a family man

I just waited for the smarts,the good players to overload their mouth and bet on something they could not win

Pool then was not so different pool players are not smarter,they are just broke

They complain because no one will sponsor them,
"why would anyone want to?"
Do you realize that most of the so called pool players today make more money borrowing money
that they have no intention of returning,BUMS IN MY OPINION

I remember if I was short ,I could ask anyone for a thousand,because I would pay it back

If you tell someone you will do something,you do it
There is no shame for being a flake these days

You can't stake a friend to play pool or cards for fear of the dump

Forgive me for rambling,I just celebrated my 75th birthday

Cool memories Dean. I had a Vette at OU as well and went out looking for action every day. There were card games every week and the Union building had pool action daily. OKC was a hot bed of gambling and every town in Oklahoma had poolrooms and bars where money was changing hands every day of the week. In Dayton I rubbed shoulders with the biggest gangsters in Southwestern Ohio and saw road men in action weekly.

There were literally hundreds of poolrooms all across the country where you could find games and make money, IF you played good enough to take it off. There were at least a couple of hundred guys criss-crossing the country hustling pool and sharing information. It was both fun and exciting every day and a very adventurous way to live. Talk about getting an education! Being on the road playing pool could give college the six out for learning how to take care of yourself and interact with other people, both good and bad.

That ten to fifteen year period of my life prepared me well for whatever success I had later in life. I never quit playing pool, just added to it with other endeavors.

P.S. Happy Birthday to you Dean! I prefer not to celebrate birthdays any more, just let the day (and the year) slip by quietly. :rolleyes:

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was only 18 when the Hustler with Paul Newman came out,
Jack Potter was about 12 or at least he looked 12

A generation of us were immediately hooked on pool and pool hustling
There must have been 6 or 8 of us from my little town,Oak Cliff texas

We rushed out and bought 2 piece cues and quickly started gambling

There were action pool rooms in those days,24 hour pool room like the "Cotton Bowling palace"

Great players came through and we watched them play,but even beginners were eager to play for money

There was nothing like the pool league culture or tournaments,once in a great while a TV series "The Wide world of Sports " would feature something pool,Willie Mosconi ,or Wimpy vs Jersey Red,or the Johnson City Hustlers Jamboree

But every day presented us an opportunity to play,as a rule I could wim enough to pay my tuition ,and rent to go to college,soon there were pool rooms on campus and
there was action

Social life was everywhere at North Texas State,I was able to buy a Corvette and instead of wasting it on dates i took the girls pool hustling,they loved it

Looking back ,I can see that the gangster influence at the pool room affected my outlook,the kids at school were wearing madras shirts ,no socks and ivy league stuff

There I was with alligator shoes and Rolex watches,my parents could not afford to send me to school and were glad I had a pool scholarship

I remember a certain gangster night club with a bar pool table,I would take my dates there and let them watch as i won money from characters out of Damon Runyon

There were professional gangsters like Jack Ruby,R D Matthews,and an old boxer Tony Juereo who reportedly knocked out Sugar Ray Robinson or Tony Zale
,I considered them my Scholarship
I was known as school boy to them
I won so much from the owner that I had free tab on drinks,I was really caught up in the scene
My dates thought I was a TV character

Funny how before i started playing pool and gambling,I couldn't get a date
Then all of sudden I didn't care and they stood in line to go out with me

I would be at a party and they would walk up and ask me "When are you going to take me out gambling with you?"

Cheerleaders,Miss Americas , I mean life was different,if I got a really big game,I put these broads in a cab and sent them home.

They weren't used to that and it made me even more popular,I took my money and sponsored a rock party
rented an old Drive in theater,hired a band,rented a mafia restaurant in downtown Dallas for New Years

once in a while we would take road trips to other schools or places where the students heard there was action
Guys in class would tell me where there was poker action

Golf in the day time,pool in the evening and cards

We had so many crazy betting propositions.
I once won a good size bet playing 2 man football

My friend stephen lee was an all american football player and
I could throw and run, we won money betting on everything

It was funny but I was never really any good at pool,maybe a D player but I won
consistently and good players lost consistently

It is nothing like this any more,and not just for me

It would cost a fortune to travel and then where would you find action if you went

In my day it never mattered if everyone knew me, in fact it helped if they did I never tried to sneak up on a family man

I just waited for the smarts,the good players to overload their mouth and bet on something they could not win

Pool then was not so different pool players are not smarter,they are just broke

They complain because no one will sponsor them,
"why would anyone want to?"
Do you realize that most of the so called pool players today make more money borrowing money
that they have no intention of returning,BUMS IN MY OPINION

I remember if I was short ,I could ask anyone for a thousand,because I would pay it back

If you tell someone you will do something,you do it
There is no shame for being a flake these days

You can't stake a friend to play pool or cards for fear of the dump

Forgive me for rambling,I just celebrated my 75th birthday

Keep on ramblin, Dean.
I liked it.

randyg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope somebody bought you a camera for your B'Day. With instructions. ;) Seriously, you're allright for an 'ol fart. You got to live pool's golden years.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean..........I hope you enjoyed a fabulous bday and got to play some pool too.
You have enriched my life with your friendship; thanks for being a part of my life.

Matt B.

An Old Gaelic Blessing

"May those who love us, love us
and those that don't love us,
may God turn their hearts.

And if he doesn't turn their hearts,
may he turn their ankles
so we'll know them by their limping."

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy birthday Dean fantastic story i'm 66 grew up playing pool in Hamilton Ontario Canada,we call it the Hammer (steel city) Barton and Sherman streets tough neighborhood back in the late 60tees early seventy lots of gambling.Love your stories i read them all enjoy your day.