Middle Ranked Pro Players

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Can middle ranked players achieve higher levels of play and success?

Or have they been locked out by outperforming competitors.

Players continue at events but never place near the top.

Its a great story of persevering without ending in the "Cinderella" story finish.

Instead of watching the best players, I've taken interest in younger less established players because they have more potential for growth than someone that has peaked.

Instead of hearing about someone be a multi-year champion, watching someone be a half century long middle rank player is appealing in other ways.

I like successful players and I definitely like seeing the best in action. But not everyone can be the best. Each player can have great traits to notice. And seeing that flash of greatness in so many people is a great feeling.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can middle ranked players achieve higher levels of play and success?

Or have they been locked out by outperforming competitors.

Players continue at events but never place near the top.

Its a great story of persevering without ending in the "Cinderella" story finish.

Instead of watching the best players, I've taken interest in younger less established players because they have more potential for growth than someone that has peaked.

Instead of hearing about someone be a multi-year champion, watching someone be a half century long middle rank player is appealing in other ways.

I like successful players and I definitely like seeing the best in action. But not everyone can be the best. Each player can have great traits to notice. And seeing that flash of greatness in so many people is a great feeling.
Not just referring to middle of the pack pro players competing in pro events, but it is certainly inspiring for many of us "grinders" to see a player (or ourselves) play up to their full potential and place unusually high in a tournament, or even able to put it all together in one single match to unexpectedly defeat a significantly stronger player. Those type of performances are what brings us back and keeps the dream alive of being able to "play in the zone" at just the right time, when it means the most, even when we know it won't last.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Not just referring to middle of the pack pro players competing in pro events, but it is certainly inspiring for many of us "grinders" to see a player (or ourselves) play up to their full potential and place unusually high in a tournament, or even able to put it all together in one single match to unexpectedly defeat a significantly stronger player. Those type of performances are what brings us back and keeps the dream alive of being able to "play in the zone" at just the right time, when it means the most, even when we know it won't last.

Well said.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its possible!

It happens all the time here in Texas. There are a lot of very strong amateur players that beat pros in tournaments all the time. There are a lot of 8 foot tables in Texas and that levels the playing field for the less then pro-speed player.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It happens all the time here in Texas. There are a lot of very strong amateur players that beat pros in tournaments all the time. There are a lot of 8 foot tables in Texas and that levels the playing field for the less then pro-speed player.

I took a foot more and won one!

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

I have a friend who double dipped the almighty McCready at one of them Hardtimes Wednesday night tournaments back in the mid nineties. This was his biggest "brag" for a long while. He was very proud of that accomplishment. Turned him into a kid, completely beside himself, I saw it happen.