Pool Room Expressions

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Having spent many decades of my youth playing in many states, one picks up quirks and idiosyncrasies. Other states cultures start to ''rub off'' on you, as you grow up especially those southerners, when your 19 and from the burbs of Chi Town.

Here's a couple from decades ago....

The second one is mine.

You got and GOOD ones?

"Assume the Position"
A winner breaks/loser racks 9 Ball racking term....we used to use, when your drilling a guy that you like and rubbing it in....in a good way and your day is moving on.

#2.
"Racktice"
The beat down term you apply to an opponent, who you are on good terms with.

With your intentional ''slip of the tongue :)'' they think your saying Practice, but your not....your slipping in a new word :p racktice to the person who is Assuming the position....waaaaaaaaaay too much. :thumbup:

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't a saying or expression, but your post reminds me of a time shortly after I had begun playing. I was playing 9-ball with a shortstop speed player just for the table time, and he was beating me mercilessly. After maybe 20 straight losses the counterman comes over to the table and hands me a tube of first aid cream. "For the rack burns," he said. :D

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long time ago in New Jersey if 2 guys were woofing one might say DUMP.
dump meant that each player dumps out all the money he has including change.
the smaller amount of the two was the bet.

Saw a lot of games for odd amounts.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member

Saw this before once. The bet was races to 13 for 622.60. One player only had a single barrel :grin:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Someone needs to gather all these Pool Room Words
and Start a.......

Pollapedia Website

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an expression but several years ago there was a young kid who started hanging out at the pool room that I visited. I would practice with him about every day. Being a decent player I would just wear him out. We became pretty good friends. I nicknamed him Kid Rack. This was back when Kid Rock was popular

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Playing backgammon with a friend...we play a set to 9 once in a while....cheap...
...but we play like it’s for a million.
Took a cube should be never taken for money by the point...but in match play you get to
give it right back and now the set is up for grabs.....so I roll magic...nailed him by a nose.
....I stood up and said in my best Vader voice...”I AM YOUR FATHER.”

It became a buzz-word for a while around the pool hall

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After a good shot, whether it is pocketing a tough ball or making a break out that requires a fortunate roll, and getting no reward or a bad roll, my friend never fails to claim “That’s poolshit!”

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

DeadMenChalking

Registered
I'm Canadian and was playing this fellow from the UK in my local pool room. He hooked me and the only way out of it was a 3-rail kick. After the shot he says "where I'm from they call that a 'cock tap' ". I had no words.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
60's

When I was a kid a common term when asked about another Pool player would be " He's on the Stick " if playing good. If playing bad or just not playing much " He's off the Stick "

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm Canadian and was playing this fellow from the UK in my local pool room. He hooked me and the only way out of it was a 3-rail kick. After the shot he says "where I'm from they call that a 'cock tap' ". I had no words.

What he actually said was “Cocked hat.”
The Brits refer to it as a “cocked hat double”
You’ll see pictures of Napoleon wearing these hats...it has three sides.

So it describes the pattern of the ball’s path

Island Drive

Silver Member
What he actually said was “Cocked hat.”
The Brits refer to it as a “cocked hat double”
You’ll see pictures of Napoleon wearing these hats...it has three sides.

So it describes the pattern of the ball’s path

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That's funny......

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I always got a kick from the terminology used to describe a fish, meaning one with whom you badly want to gamble. My favorite term used to describe a fish was "an ATM" with the implication being that they were as sure a source of cash as an automatic teller machine.

If a fish came through the poolroom door, you'd sometimes hear someone say "ATM alert."

Island Drive

Silver Member
He'll be Right Back :)

I always got a kick from the terminology used to describe a fish, meaning one with whom you badly want to gamble. My favorite term used to describe a fish was "an ATM" with the implication being that they were as sure a source of cash as an automatic teller machine.

If a fish came through the poolroom door, you'd sometimes hear someone say "ATM alert."

ATM is real....his name is Andrew, he lives in Denver and bets high.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is the one :grin-square:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Pittsburgh John at the Rack...playing one hole on the 5x10...he’s trapped...
...walks around the table a few times....sez...
“The trouble with this game is you gotta take your turn...if it was poker, I’d pass.”