WPA World 10 Ball Championships

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like the Pacman has pulled it off. Can Shane get a visa in time?! Great promotion of the event.

It has also finally been put up on the WPA website.

WPAFacebook.jpg

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stuff, way to go Manny
We haven't had a W10B for ages, now I hope WPA gets up the W8B also cos that was missing for couple of years

Based on lastest WPA rankings which includes Turning Stone results these top 24 ranked players automatically qualify for W10B

Rank- Player -Country
1 Chang, Yu Lung TPE (TPE)
2 Feijen, Niels NED (NED)
3 Van Boening, Shane USA (USA)
4 Li, Hewen CHN (CHN)
5 Orcollo, Dennis PHI (PHI)
6 Ouschan, Albin AUT (AUT)
7 Biado, Carlo PHI (PHI)
8 Ekonomopoulos, Nick GRE (GRE)
9 Chua, Johann Gonzales PHI (PHI)
10 Hohmann, Thorsten GER (GER)
11 Chang, Jung Lin TPE (TPE)
12 Immonen, Mika FIN (FIN)
13 Babica, Radoslaw POL (POL)
14 Faraon, Raymund PHI (PHI)
15 Ko, Pin-Yi TPE (TPE)
16 Appleton, Darren GBR (GBR)
17 Wu, Jiaqing CHN (CHN)
18 Kiamco, Warren PHI (PHI)
18 Ignacio, Jeffrey PHI (PHI)
20 Majid, Waleed QAT (QAT)
21 Peach, Daryl GBR (GBR)
22 Souquet, Ralf GER (GER)
23 van den Berg, Nick NED (NED)
24 Klatt, Jason CAN (CAN)

TOP 24 by Country/Region
Europe 10
Philippines 6
Rest of World 4
Taiwan 3
USA 1

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I would love to see..

We haven't had a W10B for ages, now I hope WPA gets up the W8B also cos that was missing for couple of years

Based on lastest WPA rankings which includes Turning Stone results these top 24 ranked players automatically qualify for W10B

Rank- Player -Country
4 Li, Hewen CHN (CHN)
7 Biado, Carlo PHI (PHI)
15 Ko, Pin-Yi TPE (TPE)
17 Wu, Jiaqing CHN (CHN)

TOP 24 by Country/Region
Europe 10
Philippines 6
Rest of World 4
Taiwan 3
USA 1

I would love to see Warren take down a tourney like this. I don't know if there's a more deserving player out there aside from maybe Oscar. Warren plays all the time and plays his heart out and I think he may sometimes get overlooked as one of the better players out there.

Jaden

str8shtr

Registered
Couldn't Agree More...

Warren's been on my radar screen for a few years now since he's been competing in and around NYC. He's definitely underrated but I don't think by his fellow competitors. I'll be pulling for him as well Jaden

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
This is the best news of 2015...as long as you don't have to call the obvious 10 Ball which is 2 inches from the pocket.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I wouldn't say so necessarily...

USA 1. Sad.

Out of eleven events that makes up the points, only two are in the US...Not so surprising really.

It would be nice though if we could get more of our players traveling to WPA events and more WPA events in the US...

Jaden

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More news on the upcoming World 10 Ball....
http://wpapool.com/web/index.asp?id=17&pagetype=event_news&eventid=236&eventnewsid=209

"The entirety of the 2015 World 10-ball Championship will be held at the SM City Activity Center in General Santos City. While most players will be nominated through their worldwide federations, there will be at least 16 spots available through the qualifiers, which will be held over two days beginning February 15 at SM City. Each qualifier will consist of 128 players and will be played as a race to 7, alternate break, single elimination. The last 8 players standing in both qualifiers will be given spots in the main event.

The main draw of 128 players will begin on February 17 and will be played as a race to 9, alternate break, double elimination through to the final 64. Upon reaching the final 64, the tournament will then become single elimination, race to 11, alternate break.

There’s no word yet whether Pacquiao, an 8-division champion in boxing, will actually play in the event. Organizers of the World 10-ball Championship are entitled to several wild card slots, so it is entirely possible that fans may yet see the Filipino boxing legend do battle with the world’s best pool players on the blue felt, should he choose to accept the invite."

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rank- Player -Country
4 Li, Hewen CHN (CHN)
7 Biado, Carlo PHI (PHI)
15 Ko, Pin-Yi TPE (TPE)
17 Wu, Jiaqing CHN (CHN)

TOP 24 by Country/Region
Europe 10
Philippines 6
Rest of World 4
Taiwan 3
USA 1

The world rankings are a bit scewed towards the Asians and Euro players as several of the big events take place in their are and the US players can't afford to go there except for a few. How may points events are in the Americas and how many are in Europe and Asia? Albin Ouschan is ranked 6th but there are probably 10 or more US players that are favored over him or easy equal. * edit, looks like Jaden posted that earlier "Out of eleven events that makes up the points, only two are in the US...Not so surprising really."

Even if you win both of the US events, if some guy finishes top 10 in 4-5 other events you can't go to, he will have a higher rating. I'm sure if they have qualifiers, Rodney, Deuel, Dechaine, Archer, etc.. will get there even if they are not on the WPA ranking due to not playing in the right tournaments. Without an actual world organization for pro pool that works with all the countries to get the players to every WPA ranked event, the world ranking is not really that, it's more like "best guys that happened to live near the tournament or had sponsors with money".

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The world rankings are a bit scewed towards the Asians and Euro players as several of the big events take place in their are and the US players can't afford to go there except for a few. How may points events are in the Americas and how many are in Europe and Asia? Albin Ouschan is ranked 6th but there are probably 10 or more US players that are favored over him or easy equal. * edit, looks like Jaden posted that earlier "Out of eleven events that makes up the points, only two are in the US...Not so surprising really."

Even if you win both of the US events, if some guy finishes top 10 in 4-5 other events you can't go to, he will have a higher rating. I'm sure if they have qualifiers, Rodney, Deuel, Dechaine, Archer, etc.. will get there even if they are not on the WPA ranking due to not playing in the right tournaments. Without an actual world organization for pro pool that works with all the countries to get the players to every WPA ranked event, the world ranking is not really that, it's more like "best guys that happened to live near the tournament or had sponsors with money".

I agree with some of what you say, but I think your comments about Albin Ouschan may be incorrect. We track all of these players in an unbiased way, and Ouschan is playing about equal with Hall and Dechaine, and all three are top-15-ish. He is playing above the speed of all other US players (other than SVB). We only have 187 games for Albin, so things may settle down more. But for now only Feijen and Shaw are above him amongst Europeans.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

------------------->>>>> Really ???

Looks like Shane's calling the shots now !!!

Nice double entendre
That leaves poor Dennis without doubles partner again- Dennis is changing partner at every Manny Pacquiao event :D