ARVORIN - Imitation Resin Based Ivory Substitute for Ferrules?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Searching around and trying to settle on a material from which to make ferrules I came up this. It's easily and inexpensively available on eBay, for example, a 15mm x 12" rod for about $10.50, inclusive of shipping.

It looks nice, apparently bagpipe makers use is as an ivory substitute. It's available in sizes suitable for joints and butts, too.

Any thoughts, opinions, experience with this?

Thanks,

jv

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Searching around and trying to settle on a material from which to make ferrules I came up this. It's easily and inexpensively available on eBay, for example, a 15mm x 12" rod for about $10.50, inclusive of shipping.

It looks nice, apparently bagpipe makers use is as an ivory substitute. It's available in sizes suitable for joints and butts, too.

Any thoughts, opinions, experience with this?

Thanks,

jv

I know that Tommy-D here at AZB has had some experience with this material. If you run a search using Arvorin, as your search criteria, you may find some additional information to help your cause. Hope this helps. :smile:
Best regards.
j2

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that recommendation, did not know the Warthers had gotten into some of these newer businesses.

It's been a number of years and the website looks like it may be more commercialized than in the past, but anyone passing by that area, the family museum is well worth a visit. His dad, Mooney, did absolutely astounding work in ivory, ebony and other exotic materials and the family tradition of craftsmanship is carried on in several directions.

http://thewarthermuseum.com/

smt

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So much for a sticky.

I had no idea what you meant, so I went and read the one and only sticky for this subforum.

Now I think you're probably referring to this:
"Supply sources can be asked for, but all replies should be sent in the form of Private Messages. This protects our cuemakers supply sources from the general public. Almost no industry shares their wholesale sources with their customer base. So in fairness to our cuemakers we ask that this type of information be handled through Private Messages."

Is that what you meant?

I'd like to offer that if one goes to google and uses the search term "resin cue ferrule imitation ivory" that the NUMBER ONE, non-advertisement hit is guitarpartsandmore.com for "Resin-Ivory+S™ S Grade Cue Ferrule & Joint Stock (Shreger Line Stock)." As a matter of fact, they are the first FOUR hits for that search term. So, the supplier is certainly not trying to sell to the cuemaker trade only, and is hardly trying to keep this a secret. In fact, they are probably paying to promote it.

Please excuse me if I misinterpreted your comment.

jv

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Arvoris Plus the same as Resin-Ivory+S? I’m sure it is difficult to say without having each in your possession. But I was hoping someone may have experience with both.

My bad

Cheers,
Tony
No it's a different material.
Arvorin is on the soft side, I prefer to use Juma myself, if you want it to look like ivory, Elforyn super tusk is great to work with and looks great.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I had no idea what you meant, so I went and read the one and only sticky for this subforum.

Now I think you're probably referring to this:
"Supply sources can be asked for, but all replies should be sent in the form of Private Messages. This protects our cuemakers supply sources from the general public. Almost no industry shares their wholesale sources with their customer base. So in fairness to our cuemakers we ask that this type of information be handled through Private Messages."

Is that what you meant?

I'd like to offer that if one goes to google and uses the search term "resin cue ferrule imitation ivory" that the NUMBER ONE, non-advertisement hit is guitarpartsandmore.com for "Resin-Ivory+S™ S Grade Cue Ferrule & Joint Stock (Shreger Line Stock)." As a matter of fact, they are the first FOUR hits for that search term. So, the supplier is certainly not trying to sell to the cuemaker trade only, and is hardly trying to keep this a secret. In fact, they are probably paying to promote it.

Please excuse me if I misinterpreted your comment.

jv

Now that we've established you can read I'll go easy on you seeing that you're a newb here based on your post count.
First....this is not google....it's AZ Billiards.
The sticky's from the Mods are there for a reason and it's not to decorate the top of each sub forum.
There are many members here who sell products to us whom would gladly help anyone in need of supplies.
Like myself, there are also many members here who taking cue building a little more serious than just a hobby to put a few extra bucks in their pockets that I'm sure feel the same as I do about blatantly blurting out sources of any type.
There are plenty of ways to find out the information you seek just posting it on AZ Billiards is probably not the proper avenue.
Do it in PM next time please.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sources

Unfortunately the more information you give out the more the site becomes teach me to be a repair person or teach me how to become a cuemaker in less than 500 words :) Oh, an please now tell me where you get all that stuff that I don't even know I need. :) Ok, and you live two blocks away you say...gee whiz

Mario

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
After experimenting,it turns out a nice finished product,but these are the points I found.

It doesn't like carbide tooling. I know my cutters were sharpened right when applicable and when I tried inserts I knew they were fresh,so that was not the issue. Without using auto feed,no amount of varying the feed rate made much of a difference,even with only a .020 depth of cut it pitted badly.

HSS is the key here,slow to moderate feed rate,and no more than a .050 depth of cut will get you there.

It also likes being cleaned up with fresh sandpapers.

If you have to drill it for a Meucci type ferrule,drill a pilot hole,SLOWLY.

Once polished out,it looks about as nice as anything I've ever seen.

So far neither of the ferrules I used it on have come back yet either :wink:. Tommy D.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arvorin

Turning speed is an important factor along with feed rate, sharp tools etc.

Mario

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 487

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting sub-topic.
I did not actually see where the OP asked for a source? Did he edit that part out? I saw the post early and he (indicated) he was going to buy it on eBay; but wanted to understand working properties.

If, on a machinist or woodworking site you ask about the properties of a material, say "stainless steel" I'm happy to convey an opinion on whether you should use 17-4PH or 303, or advise to use a different material altogether. Maybe even send you to Hudson supply. The more they sell, the cheaper and more accessible it becomes for everyone. I probably won't say where i buy exotic lumber. These days the more they sell, the less there is on the market.....

smt

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting sub-topic.
I did not actually see where the OP asked for a source? Did he edit that part out? I saw the post early and he (indicated) he was going to buy it on eBay; but wanted to understand working properties.

If, on a machinist or woodworking site you ask about the properties of a material, say "stainless steel" I'm happy to convey an opinion on whether you should use 17-4PH or 303, or advise to use a different material altogether. Maybe even send you to Hudson supply. The more they sell, the cheaper and more accessible it becomes for everyone. I probably won't say where i buy exotic lumber. These days the more they sell, the less there is on the market.....

smt

Thank you.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a few responses similar to what BarenbruggeCues responded when I asked something once, I wasn't sure what to think. But, the very same people were super kind and helpful in private messages with any questions I had, I can't even believe how helpful a few are, Dave comes to mind.

If the cuemakers want it that way, by all means that is the way it should be, they are the ones offering advice, answering questions, etc..

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Interesting sub-topic.

smt

In post #8 I made a blanket statement saying so much for a sticky.
jviss quoted me and responded.
I quoted him and responded.
I'll tell you the same thing I told him. Your analogy holds no water. This is not some other machinist or woodworking site, it's AZ Billiards. That's all that is relative here.
All I did was point out a rule that was put in place and authorized by the owner of this site at the top of this sub section. I didn't call any individual by name I just made a simple blanket statement. So if somebody gets all butt hurt over the fact that I just pointed out a rule...not my problem.
Discuss till your eyeballs fall out about materials, properties of said materials, what will happen...what won't happen. I could care less.
Use a PM to relay sources of any material type please.
Not my rule....I just pointed out that someone was not obeying it.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see your point that maybe the OP was not your target.

In your opinion is it out of line to ask about materials with the intention of a public discussion? (not sources)

smt