Sports Fan Question

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long until the WPBA has to deal with the political correctness issue that other sports are dealing with?

I mean the lines of "female" athletes are really starting to blur. At what point can born males who are not males (like the power lifter, MMA fighter, teenage track stars etc) be able to enter events (also gender fluid people too)?

I know some don't care for these thoughts but seeing double standards in Pro events makes me wonder...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've had some breaks at 9-ball where I had every right to identify as a non-male..:angry:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How long until the WPBA has to deal with the political correctness issue that other sports are dealing with?

I mean the lines of "female" athletes are really starting to blur. At what point can born males who are not males (like the power lifter, MMA fighter, teenage track stars etc) be able to enter events (also gender fluid people too)?

I know some don't care for these thoughts but seeing double standards in Pro events makes me wonder...

Not sure how to interpret this. Are you saying you've seen double standards in pro pool or are you just speculating? If you have knowledge pertinent to how other sports deal with this issue if and when it arises, why do you choose not to share it?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rhea posted the standards the WPBA has.
I dont remember what they were exactly.

I agree that the sports you mentioned have some
egregious "players" that make it very unfair.

The beautiful thing about pool is that testosterone
doesnt play a huge role. Sure, there are many women
"pros" that would have no chance to win against
most "A" players. They just dont have the number
of players that men have. The very top of women
players have proven they can hang with elite men.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't see anything in pool where a woman can't be as good as a man. So very few shots take more strength that an average woman can muster that it should be a non-issue.

Major thing is practice, will to play and learning the right way. If some guy that plays pool decides to play as a woman, then beats all the women, that just means the women he is playing against did not practice or learn as well, not because of sex. It's not like NBA vs WNBA where the women just can't physically compete in the NBA, women pool tournaments vs open tournaments are pretty much due to skill differences, nothing else. It's like any other tournament, if you have to play even with better players, many won't play. So you need to make space for those that are not as good with handicaps, usually it's done with game or ball spots, with women they do it by excluding the men. Anything else said about the division is just fluff or making excuses to not talk about the real reason.

It's not like most sports that take actual physical ability to do properly. It's more like shooting or chess, it's skill and practice not strength or muscles mass or size.

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a friend, she has been playing in tour events for a very long time, so apparently it isn't an issue.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It won't be an issues in the billiard world. Not enough money in it to change anything. College scholarships are almost non-existent.

Thus, the woman sports that feed the colleges, track & field, etc., are starting to feel the pinch. Woman are being denied state championships because they were up against dudes. So, folks that would at least finish 3rd are now 4th and 5th. They don't give medals for 4th place ;)

Top colleges LOVE folks who win state championships. So, it appears, woman will be the losers in all of this and there is a movement speaking out against it now. It shall continue.

But pool, not so much. The larger lung capacity as well as the larger heart and body muscles of men does not have the same impact in pool as it does in a physical or endurance sport.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how to interpret this. Are you saying you've seen double standards in pro pool or are you just speculating? If you have knowledge pertinent to how other sports deal with this issue if and when it arises, why do you choose not to share it?

Hi Stew,

In another thread I mentioned about the dress codes for some events that as with at different work places, the code differs from the sexes.

Example: Collared shirts, Dress Pants. but in these events women in leggings and wearing a warm up jacket. Double Standard imo.

As for the WPBA thing, I am just wondering how it will be handled in the impending future. You see it in Power Lifting and other sports now. I know men who are high enough Fargorated to play in the upper WPBA ranking but aren't "Pro Players". If they wished to compete, now a days all it seems they need to do is declare Gender Fluid and I think they could push the envelope there (which I disagree with).

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you will find that in most 'equal opportunity' competitive environment, competitors may join an opposite Bender's competition when it raises her level of competition, not lowers his.

Hi Stew,

In another thread I mentioned about the dress codes for some events that as with at different work places, the code differs from the sexes.

Example: Collared shirts, Dress Pants. but in these events women in leggings and wearing a warm up jacket. Double Standard imo.

As for the WPBA thing, I am just wondering how it will be handled in the impending future. You see it in Power Lifting and other sports now. I know men who are high enough Fargorated to play in the upper WPBA ranking but aren't "Pro Players". If they wished to compete, now a days all it seems they need to do is declare Gender Fluid and I think they could push the envelope there (which I disagree with).

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who feel I am stirring the pot I apologues, this wasn't my thoughts. I just was curious (was out of the world from 2009 until 2019) what the take on it is now and if it's been an issue yet. Once again I apologize for any offense here.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see anything in pool where a woman can't be as good as a man. So very few shots take more strength that an average woman can muster that it should be a non-issue.

Major thing is practice, will to play and learning the right way. If some guy that plays pool decides to play as a woman, then beats all the women, that just means the women he is playing against did not practice or learn as well, not because of sex. It's not like NBA vs WNBA where the women just can't physically compete in the NBA, women pool tournaments vs open tournaments are pretty much due to skill differences, nothing else. It's like any other tournament, if you have to play even with better players, many won't play. So you need to make space for those that are not as good with handicaps, usually it's done with game or ball spots, with women they do it by excluding the men. Anything else said about the division is just fluff or making excuses to not talk about the real reason.

It's not like most sports that take actual physical ability to do properly. It's more like shooting or chess, it's skill and practice not strength or muscles mass or size.
I agree with this. Someone will chime in with some "excellent" scientific study that will "prove" otherwise.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who feel I am stirring the pot I apologues, this wasn't my thoughts. I just was curious (was out of the world from 2009 until 2019) what the take on it is now and if it's been an issue yet. Once again I apologize for any offense here.

Its not an issue, like I said my home girl has been competing for 15 years and still currently does. I don't think the minor league female pool world cares.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't offended. I just remember what this turned into the last time we had this discussion.

Woman are just a capable of training and using the same skills as men that are necessary to play world class pool.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't offended. I just remember what this turned into the last time we had this discussion.

Woman are just a capable of training and using the same skills as men that are necessary to play world class pool.

He's not talking Billy Vs. Bobby, he is referring to and asking about transgender players.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Our modern Western culture is increasingly becoming based on lies....
...worse...more lies to give credence to the original lie...and they keep stacking up.

3642E154-F1A6-4837-8D94-3EC6508E7C23.jpeg

The highest ranked female chess player in history got to 2735....
...chess pieces are not that heavy.

There have always been outliers...but basically men are hunters, women are nurturers.
......vive le difference

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the 2016 rules with a simple google
search.

Basically they need to provide medical
proof that their hormones are within
the normal range for a healthy woman.

Medical release records from a qualified
licenced professional.

The acceptable range is at the doctors discretion.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the 2016 rules with a simple google
search.

Basically they need to provide medical
proof that their hormones are within
the normal range for a healthy woman.

Medical release records from a qualified
licenced professional.

The acceptable range is at the doctors discretion.

This may be the case now, but the lines are getting more and more blurry (in our new pc cultural. Non Binary and Gender Fluid are the new steps in this slippery slope. My friend went from female to male now is neither, demands to be referred to as they or mixter.

My iriganl thoughts were mainly about the double standard of dress code these days. But it morfex into a bit more.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Your viewpoint was discussed pretty well in this little thread that started a couple years ago. I see you posted in it a couple of times, but I don't know whether you read it all. I think it's a pretty good read for anyone interested in the men vs. women topic.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=457520

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be the case now, but the lines are getting more and more blurry (in our new pc cultural. Non Binary and Gender Fluid are the new steps in this slippery slope. My friend went from female to male now is neither, demands to be referred to as they or mixter.

My iriganl thoughts were mainly about the double standard of dress code these days. But it morfex into a bit more.

Times will change and I'm sure pool along with the
rest of the world will adapt.

The wpba has a dress code outlined in the rules I found.

They also said that it's a womans tour so regardless
what a person wants to call themselves they still
have to provide medical proof their hormones are
in the female range.

I might be to old to understand all this him/her/they/gender neutral/ gender fluid or whatever
else they call themselves or want to be called.

People are people. If they treat me with respect I will
respond in kind.

I dont think I understand why this bothers you.

At the end of the day pool is pool.
I could put on a dress, a wig, and call myself Shirley.
Chen, Kim, Corr, and a whole host of others are still
gonna whip my a$$ on a pool table more often than not.