Starbond CA glue

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not tried it for finish, but have tried it for tips. Was not that impressed. Locktite brand is very difficult to beat.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not tried it for finish, but have tried it for tips. Was not that impressed. Locktite brand is very difficult to beat.

What intrigued me was that they market certain formula's as a wood finish. Locktite won't market there product as a finish only as an adhesive. They also sell colored ca which is nice. I have found that when you try and add pigment to CA it tends to act as an accelerator and becomes difficult to work with.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What intrigued me was that they market certain formula's as a wood finish. Locktite won't market there product as a finish only as an adhesive. They also sell colored ca which is nice. I have found that when you try and add pigment to CA it tends to act as an accelerator and becomes difficult to work with.

What color applications would you use super glue for instead of epoxy? Now if they came up with one that was white maple colored. It would be almost worth its weight in gold.

Ernie eyocues

Ernie Omori
Silver Member
I have used at least 5 different CA glues for tips and never been
satisfied until I used the KEG CA glue from Starbond. To test the
glue, I glue up a few tips and rip them off and the bottom layer of
leather is still on the shaft I'm call it acceptable. The Loctite pro
and other CA has failed me several times. The 1 time the KEG
failed is when I didn't let it dry long enough. I dries slower than the
normal CA glues.

ekb6760

Misplaced Texan
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have used at least 5 different CA glues for tips and never been
satisfied until I used the KEG CA glue from Starbond. To test the
glue, I glue up a few tips and rip them off and the bottom layer of
leather is still on the shaft I'm call it acceptable. The Loctite pro
and other CA has failed me several times. The 1 time the KEG
failed is when I didn't let it dry long enough. I dries slower than the
normal CA glues.

Is this the one you are referring to?
https://www.starbond.com/flexible-heavymedium-ca-glue-keg-500.html

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one I had was in a kit and was the thin one, I think. Too hard to tell. But under their website, is a link to different industries . There is pen making and coatings, which they recommend for a finish is their thin one, and a medium for more build up. They also have a low odour thin ca as well.
There may well be a product they have that is good for cuetips, and the one I tried clearly was not the best choice. The one I had, came in a set that had fillers etc for different things Certainly not all CA's are equal, and there are many different formulations for the range of CA products out there.

Neil

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called and spoke to someone at Starbond and they said that their CA is manufactured in Japan in smaller quantities and that one of the things that sets them apart from most CA manufactures is that if you buy direct from them that the product will always be fresh and should have a long shelf life. I am going to order an assortment and give it a try. Thanks for everyone's input.

Ernie eyocues

Ernie Omori
Silver Member
the CA I use

What I use for tips is the "KEG 500, medium thick"
and I use it for high impact areas.
And I use the other products for my finishes and
standard gluing purposes. I have purchase most
of their different viscosity CA. I'm pleased with
the results.

I have installed 60 to 80 tips so far and I have
been lucky and happy with the results. I have
used a few pints so this is not just one sample
size.

Hopefully this helps. This is only my experiences.