UltraSkin/SIB tip poll

For UltraSkin/SIB tip users only. Choose your favorite UltraSkin and/or SIB tip.

• SIB soft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UltraSkin very soft

• UltraSkin hard

• UltraSkin heavy hitter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Locotone07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

For UltraSkin/SIB tip users only.
Please choose your favorite UltraSkin and/or your favorite SIB tip.

Just getting back into shooting some after taking a 27 year hiatus. Was playing LePros back then as layered tips didn't exist back then. Want to try Tom's tips, but way too many options....hoping members could help me place my first order....
Thanks in advance,
-Loco

Last edited:

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

For UltraSkin/SIB tip users only.
Please choose your favorite UltraSkin and/or your favorite SIB tip.

Just getting back into shooting some after taking a 27 year hiatus. Was playing LePros back then as layered tips didn't exist back then. Want to try Tom's tips, but way too many options....hoping members could help me place my first order....
Thanks in advance,
-Loco

Contact Tom he will help you decide

Locotone07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried, while friendly, not all that helpful as he was giving me comparisons to another layered tip (Moori) I've never tried. Do you have a favorite?

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried, while friendly, not all that helpful as he was giving me comparisons to another layered tip (Moori) I've never tried. Do you have a favorite?

Can't really go by me, but I have used the Ultraskin VS and the Ultraskin Pro. I like the Pro. I am about to try his SIB medium. I'm still working out things with my stroke . I'm using the Mezz EX Pro shaft that is an 12.5 LD. I'm about a low intermediate player. Tom helped me a lot when I told him where I was at skill wise, what I games I play and what type of shaft I was using. So for the price he gets you can afford to try a few.

Locotone07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last response I got from Tom was:

The UltraSkins have been compared to a Kamui many times. The SIB though new to many has feedback of like an old Moori. All the types are PigSkin. The cutting on the lathe is way different as the feel of the hit is different. They do not compete with each other, more fill a gap. If as a player you like how a Kamui hits I would say give UltraSkin a try. If you liked the hit of the old Moori I would suggest you give the SIB a try.

But I don't have experience with ANY layers tips...

The pricing is great, so I was planning on trying four to five different varieties of his tips. Don't have the time to try all nine varieties, I'm hoping if all the AZB members that use his tips would poll, then it would help me narrow my choices.

Last edited:

3rdeyemedia

SIB vs Ultraskin my experience

I used a fairly unique pool cue. It is an 11 mm Bob Renis cue made out of Dymondwood. It is a very stiff narrow shaft but has a unique hit that I really like.

I first put an Ultraskin medium and did not like the way this hit. In comparison to the LePro tip that it replaced, I preferred the lePro. The Ultraskin had an inconsistent hit and I often miscued with it being on such a small diameter shaft.

I later tried the SIB Pro which I love and hits great. It never miscues holds chalk well and gives just enough spin but not so much to throw off straight shots. On another of the exact same stick I tried the SIB Medium which I also like. Yes, the SIB medium hits better than the UltraSkin medium (for me). It is much harder that the SIB Pro but I use them in different conditions.

1. I use the SIB Pro on fast very clean tables where I want to slow the ball down for shape. If I hit the ball at medium speed the ball will come off the cue slower and will have a softer hit allowing for more English and better positioning.

2. I use the SIB Medium on slower, dirtier or more beat up tables where the felt maybe rougher. With the same medium stroke the ball will come off the cue with more speed and less English or side spin. Thus making this a better cue for longer straight shots. It is more forgiving when slightly off center as it doesn't spin the ball as much at medium speed hits. If I stroke the cue with more speed it will give a lot of English probably more than the SIB Pro.

Overall, I like both SIB's better than the UltraSkin. I think the SIB Medium is a more well rounded cue as I can play both 9 foot and bar tables well. However, when I am playing tournament pool, I absolutely prefer the SIB pro as when I need to play a safety and really hit the ball soft and park it behind a ball or something I can hit at nice solid shot but still get a nice slow ball speed guaranteeing I hit a rail. The SIB medium is more lively and will hit the ball with sometimes a little more speed than i want and sometimes with not as much throw as I want.

Thanks

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried many layered tips.
Don't waste your money.
I have gone back to good old single layer Triangles.