One pocket

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have to say yes and no, cue ball control, banks and shot selection would be a plus.
Safety play is more of a maybe since what could be a great safe in one pocket would not always be a good safe in 8 ball. Still probably always a good idea to play different games

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the first thing to keep in my mind is that playing any pool game is the least effective way to get better at pool. Identifying your weaknesses and working on turning those into strengths is the only real way to improve.

When it comes to one-pocket specifically, most players have a tendency to hide their weaknesses. Of course this makes sense if your goal is to win. So if you are only average at ball pocketing you aren't going to get a whole lot better at pocketing balls by playing one-pocket. Instead you will just avoid all the tough shots. The same thing will happen with your kicking, banking and safe games. You will just look for shots that you are strong at and run away from the others.

If you’re not careful I think one-pocket can actually stunt the growth of your overall game because of the things I mentioned above. I started out playing pool in a one-pocket town and I think it ultimately held my pool game back quite a bit because it didn't require me to work on my stroke like some of the other games do. The B players and below all work on out moving each other only to play an inexperienced one-pocket player that happens to be an A level rotation player and they get their livers shot out.

So proceed with caution. Yes one-pocket is a really interesting game and playing it can help you get better but only if you pay attention to the weaknesses in your game it points out to you, and you then work on mastering those.

eightandout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a one pocket player, i must say there's nothing more boring than to watch someone run a rack of nine ball. When two players get in a safety battle in 9 ball, then it becomes exciting to the fans. 9 ball is a power- kick your ass- sit down and watch me kind of game. It's basically you against the table (sort of like golf). One pocket is a slow drip water torture that most 9 ball players can't stand. If two players get in a safety battle in 9 ball, i'm betting on the one with one pocket experience. A one pocket player brings a strong mental game to the table and good pool requires a strong mental game. One pocket will definitely help your game.

Slider

S.F. Bay Area
Silver Member
I would tell a 9 ball player with an interest in one pocket to study videos of top-level 1P play, and play with more experienced players. I would also advise interspersing rotation sessions in order to maintain "stroke" and rhythm.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rasputin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last year I spent a few weeks playing only onepocket. When I had my first 9ball match after this period, it seemed super easy, like a children's game. Just pot the balls and run out.

So at least it can help you to feel like a better player.

But seriously also, very precise cueball control is what I think you will mostly learn from 1pocket. Not that one needs this skill that often in 9ball. 8ball yes, obviously.

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to have complete confidence in your stroke to play one pocket. Not only for the initial safety battle, but when you get a chance to make a ball (usually a hard shot, especially with position play...) you really need to make it and run a few more if possible! You can't let any opportunity pass by if you hope to beat a half decent player, even if they're spotting you a bunch.

Maybe just playing won't make you better, but it will reveal your flaws like no other game. And if you practice your one pocket shots, your other games will improve significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the first thing to keep in my mind is that playing any pool game is the least effective way to get better at pool. Identifying your weaknesses and working on turning those into strengths is the only real way to improve.

When it comes to one-pocket specifically, most players have a tendency to hide their weaknesses. Of course this makes sense if your goal is to win. So if you are only average at ball pocketing you aren't going to get a whole lot better at pocketing balls by playing one-pocket. Instead you will just avoid all the tough shots. The same thing will happen with your kicking, banking and safe games. You will just look for shots that you are strong at and run away from the others.

If you’re not careful I think one-pocket can actually stunt the growth of your overall game because of the things I mentioned above. I started out playing pool in a one-pocket town and I think it ultimately held my pool game back quite a bit because it didn't require me to work on my stroke like some of the other games do. The B players and below all work on out moving each other only to play an inexperienced one-pocket player that happens to be an A level rotation player and they get their livers shot out.

So proceed with caution. Yes one-pocket is a really interesting game and playing it can help you get better but only if you pay attention to the weaknesses in your game it points out to you, and you then work on mastering those.

I'm going to mostly disagree with, but only in my world.

Since switching to 1P from 8&9 ball, I have never worked so hard on banking, safety's, and cue ball control. But for the 8&9 ball league hackers, most live of handicapping and have no interest in truly improving their game. Although a lot of them talk the talk but won't walk the walk.

So I guess in he end your mostly correct.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
It will help your 8 ball game for sure. You will have more controlled breakouts, play better shape in the rack area, be confident on all short rail banks, and play better safeties.