Lets get pool to Mythbusters!

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
2. Can the cue ball or head ball be struck so hard that they will break into two?

No need to contact Mythbusters on this one. I've personally seen a cueball split into two pieces on a break. Done by my best friend Shan Miles, who also won the 1989 APA 8-ball singles championship in Vegas.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
There are a few myths that could be challenged.

Is a laminated tip better.

Is Kamui chalk that much better to pay $30 for a cube.

Is a full splice cue better than one that isn't.

Does the type and style of joint affect anything.

And for the grand finale

Settle the argument between JB and JJ about who builds the best case to protect a cue. :rotflmao1:

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
Old/thin shafts breaking and cheap/old balls shattering are not in any way an interesting "myth."

I'm not aware any real "myths" that could actually be tested in they way they run mythbusters.

What about the myth of alcohol makes you play better? Some say it does and some say it does not. They could define the peak blood alcohol level where your game goes from relaxed to impaired. It would be good to include the affects on darts to.

I think anyone who has had a drink and played darts or a game pool in a bar would be interested. That would include a large group of people.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure most you know the show "Mythbusters".

Wouldn't it be cool and good for pool if they tested some stuff about pool on their show?

Have them build a pool robot and use it to compare the aiming method threads we never seem to get rid of.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
What about the myth of alcohol makes you play better? Some say it does and some say it does not. They could define the peak blood alcohol level where your game goes from relaxed to impaired. It would be good to include the affects on darts to.

I think anyone who has had a drink and played darts or a game pool in a bar would be interested. That would include a large group of people.

Yeah but do people claim it helps everyone or just a limited number of people?
I don't think there's much controversy that it might help some people in some way.
But if anyone wanted to claim it never helped anyone or it would help everyone, even nondrinkers... that would be a controversial enough claim to test.

atheistpally

Registered
I'm gonna leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAt-7i36G8&t=0m13s

Since Adam Savage himself loves playing pool, I'm sure if there was a worthwhile billiard myth to check out, he would've thought of it already.

The only slightly interesting thing I can think of testing would be if either stripes or solids are easier to pot. Some people (mostly amateurs though) seem to prefer a certain suit and claim to win more often when they are shooting their favorite stripes or solids. Maybe because of the stripe pattern, those balls' edges are easier to see/aim with. Or maybe the opposite is true, making the solid colors more advantageous.

Last edited:

Slider

S.F. Bay Area
Silver Member
One myth I'd really like to see busted is the one where a "Pool Hustler" can somehow captivate and hypnotize an "innocent" mark and relieve him of all his worldly possessions.

(By many accounts, it is precisely this myth that keeps the general public from enjoying what is arguably the most fascinating game, ever.)

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
There are a few myths that could be challenged.

Is a laminated tip better.

Is Kamui chalk that much better to pay $30 for a cube.

Is a full splice cue better than one that isn't.

Does the type and style of joint affect anything.

And for the grand finale

Settle the argument between JB and JJ about who builds the best case to protect a cue. :rotflmao1:

I don't think we are arguing about that. The answer is Zero Halliburton.

Although....If comparing just two brands of somewhat similar appearance....wouldn't even be 30 second segment for them to figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk