Identify this Cue?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It took 11 years and still not exactly the right answer. It is an Abe Rich Cue from Florida. Not a Rich Q or Rich Cue from up north. I just thought that distinction needed made.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue I had, (the one pictured) I took in a trade from John Wright about 1 1/2 years before Gus Szamboti passed away. I had just received my new Gus Szamboti a few weeks before. It was one of the fancier cues Gus made with a bunch of ivory inlays in the points and butt. Bushka rings above the wrap, red veneers. It was awesome. I was at a tournament in Indianapolis where John tracked me down. He'd heard through the "grape vine" about my new "Boti"! He made me several offers on the cue, each time I told him, It's not for sale! He laid out his display case with a dozen exotic cues. Maybe we can trade. He had the Bushka, with 5 shafts (2 original, 3 Doc Fry along with a letter from Doc Fry authenticating the cue) several Joss West cues, etc.. He said he'd take my cue and a few hundred to boot for the Bushka. I told him I'd take the Bushka and a Joss West for my cue, just to shut him up! He said that's rediculous, I can't do that! Five minutes later, he came up and told me, "OK , You've got a deal!" I didn't really want to trade! I just told him that because I didn't think he'd make the deal and wanted to drop the subject! He insisted that I honor the offer and I did, regretfully! I lost a lot of sleep over that deal! Gus had been a mentor of mine. He used to sell me ivory ferrule blanks and actually helped me a lot when I had specific cue construction questions. When he heard I'd traded my new cue, he was "hot as a firecracker"! He yelled at me on the phone and hung up. It was a month before he'd even talk to me! That was one of my biggest regrets in life, trading that cue! The Balabushka made me sick every time I looked at it, so I sold it soon after. I think Pete & Dennis Glenn bought the cue, but I wouldn't swear to that. I had 13 Boti's and 2 Bushkas all together, but only the one that Gus MADE FOR ME! I forget who ended up with what, when I split them up. Rich Ford from Cleveland bought a few of them IIRC. I was collecting Botis when you could buy them for under $300. Some of the guys in my poolroom had Szamboti cues they purchased new for $110. A good friend of mine has a REAL rare one. One of few (literally) made with the Wico plastic veneers like Gordon Hart used a lot in the OLD Vikings!

Sherm

YIKES -

That might be one of the saddest stories that has ever been posted.

Wish I could unread that one....

UGH

Ken