2nd Best

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If SVB is generally recognized as the best American player, who would be number two? Is there a clearly defined #2 in this country or is the rest of the field on an equal level?

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Subscirbed!

3898460-8864152835-

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For clarity sake, how are you defining "American"? Do you consider the players originally from other countries, but now permanently live in the U.S. as foreign players? I only ask because that may give a whole other set of players to consider.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not that easy to say...,

If SVB is generally recognized as the best American player, who would be number two? Is there a clearly defined #2 in this country or is the rest of the field on an equal level?

I have watched them all over the last three years. I have watched them in person many times and on video, I think that its close, Rodney Morris and Johnny Archer.

There are lots of strong players, but nobody beats these guys in a one on one match up on a 9FT table, winner break race to 15 best out of 3 sets.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Mike Dechaine is a strong choice for #2 American in rotation games.

After what we just saw at Smoking Aces, Skylar has to enter the conversation, as well.

JA seems to me like he may have just passed his apex.

Rodney and Oscar rank high, imo.

best,
brian kc

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Shane would say Dennis Orcolo would be number two (based on TAR interviews)

Dennis is not American.

Many players have said Mike Dechaine is the second best rotation game player. He has at least the second best 10 ball break, I have heard many people say that and I've witnessed it.

Although Earl has been playing strong again, and of course there are guys like Duel and so on that are always in the top 10 lists.

Tough to call who is behind Shane, the only real thing we can all agree on is that the rest of the Americans are a clear second to Shane.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched them all over the last three years. I have watched them in person many times and on video, I think that its close, Rodney Morris and Johnny Archer.

There are lots of strong players, but nobody beats these guys in a one on one match up on a 9FT table, winner break race to 15 best out of 3 sets.

You can't say that about anyone. Day to day, any of the top 10-20-30 players have a chance to bet anyone else, even in a long race.

You need to have someone play maybe 20 times to get a clear leader. The top 10 maybe easy to nail down but exactly who is in what spot is very iffy. Morris, Archer, Duel, Dechaine, any number of other strong players can be in the top 10 but not clearly #2. I would rank Dechaine second though if I absolutely had to pick a 9 or 10 ball player for #2.

When Duel won the US open he beat the whole field there which was something like 6-7-8 sets he won. Yet Shane is out there giving him the 7 ball and still beating him. Can't just pick a good showing in one day of sets for an overall rank.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
America's second best? Deuel, Bergman, and Skylar Woodward are behind Shane on AzB's money list. Would you call any of them, America's 2nd best?

I wouldn't.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

You can't say that about anyone. Day to day, any of the top 10-20-30 players have a chance to bet anyone else, even in a long race.

You need to have someone play maybe 20 times to get a clear leader. The top 10 maybe easy to nail down but exactly who is in what spot is very iffy. Morris, Archer, Duel, Dechaine, any number of other strong players can be in the top 10 but not clearly #2. I would rank Dechaine second though if I absolutely had to pick a 9 or 10 ball player for #2.

When Duel won the US open he beat the whole field there which was something like 6-7-8 sets he won. Yet Shane is out there giving him the 7 ball and still beating him. Can't just pick a good showing in one day of sets for an overall rank.

If SVB is giving anybody the 7 then their not in consideration for #2. He wouldn't try to give Archer or Rodney the 7 that's for sure. Dechaine plays good, but Archer and Rodney have played good far longer and handle the pressure of competition far better.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool and Billiards magazine has the ranking as follows:
Shane is almost 220 points ahead of Mike.

1. Shane VB
2. Mike Dechaine
3. Dennis Orcollo
4. Alex P
5. Carlo Biado
6. Jayson Shaw
7. Lee Vann Corteza
8. Warren Kiamco
9. Darren Appleton
10. Niels Feijen

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

1. Shane VB
2. Mike Dechaine
3. Dennis Orcollo
4. Alex P
5. Carlo Biado
6. Jayson Shaw
7. Lee Vann Corteza
8. Warren Kiamco
9. Darren Appleton
10. Niels Feijen

these lists can be a little cloudy at times - for instance Niels ain't # 10. :wink:

best,
brian kc

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For clarity sake, how are you defining "American"? Do you consider the players originally from other countries, but now permanently live in the U.S. as foreign players? I only ask because that may give a whole other set of players to consider.

I was asking about American born players however I'd be interested in hearing opinions on those who were'nt born here but seemed to have permately moved here. Also, Is there a legitimate ranking system here in the states? If not, why not?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That wont work for me

1. Shane VB
2. Mike Dechaine
3. Dennis Orcollo
4. Alex P
5. Carlo Biado
6. Jayson Shaw
7. Lee Vann Corteza
8. Warren Kiamco
9. Darren Appleton
10. Niels Feijen

Got to have Busta on any top 10 list and he cant be less the on this list behind Dennis and SVB.., No players from the far east????