Pool Rooms With Golf Games

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss playing golf in a pool room. I get over to California Billiards to play some on the 6 x 12 once and a while, but it is a 2 1/2 hour trip each way and hit or miss to get a game. I played golf all over Southern Ca from the late 50’s through the 90’s and have played hundreds of games on Big Bertha in Bellflower over the years at three different locations before they retired her and replaced the table with one with pockets so tight it ruins the game. I don’t mind tight pockets, but the table they have now at Hard Times, Bellflower is so tight your ball literally has to be within a half inch or so from the pocket to make the ball. That is not golf the way I learned to play it.

I will be 80 in a couple weeks and thinking of taking a road trip next year to visit some rooms on my bucket list. I want to do this while my health is good and I can still play a little. I enjoy ring games and will play heads up if I think I have any kind of chance. I will also play cheap one pocket with players that are not a pain in the ass to play. Players that know me, and there are many, know I am not a nut hunter and love to play.

There used to be rooms like Family Fun Center and Colfax Billiards in Denver, and the Farmers Daughter in Salt Lake City where you could walk in the door and get a golf game. Where are they now? The Phoenix area had the Golden Cue and Golden Eight Ball, gone now and maybe one 5 x 10 snooker table in the whole area left.

I know there must be some rooms left where you can play some golf. Where are they?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss playing golf in a pool room. I get over to California Billiards to play some on the 6 x 12 once and a while, but it is a 2 1/2 hour trip each way and hit or miss to get a game. I played golf all over Southern Ca from the late 50’s through the 90’s and have played hundreds of games on Big Bertha in Bellflower over the years at three different locations before they retired her and replaced the table with one with pockets so tight it ruins the game. I don’t mind tight pockets, but the table they have now at Hard Times, Bellflower is so tight your ball literally has to be within a half inch or so from the pocket to make the ball. That is not golf the way I learned to play it.

I will be 80 in a couple weeks and thinking of taking a road trip next year to visit some rooms on my bucket list. I want to do this while my health is good and I can still play a little. I enjoy ring games and will play heads up if I think I have any kind of chance. I will also play cheap one pocket with players that are not a pain in the ass to play. Players that know me, and there are many, know I am not a nut hunter and love to play.

There used to be rooms like Family Fun Center and Colfax Billiards in Denver, and the Farmers Daughter in Salt Lake City where you could walk in the door and get a golf game. Where are they now? The Phoenix area had the Golden Cue and Golden Eight Ball, gone now and maybe one 5 x 10 snooker table in the whole area left.

I know there must be some rooms left where you can play some golf. Where are they?
Magoos in Tulsa,Ok. has a daily game. Real tight 5x10 old Brunswick. Good players and good guys to hang with. Contact Duane Remick on here for details. He plays a lot.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magoos in Tulsa,Ok. has a daily game. Real tight 5x10 old Brunswick. Good players and good guys to hang with. Contact Duane Remick on here for details. He plays a lot.

Thanks, I have heard about Magoo’s, and it is on the list. I think Gabe Owen used to play out of there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I have heard about Magoo’s, and it is on the list. I think Gabe Owen used to play out of there.
Gabe played at the Billiard Palace which was owned by same guy at one time. Its the only poolroom with big tables left in town. Big joint, 10-GC4's, 3-Diamond 9's, 10-Diamond bb's, 6-Valleys and the snooker table. Food, bar, pro shop. If you're in the area come on by. Shooter's in Olathe(4hrs north in KC area) has a nice Brunswick snooker but i'm not sure if they play golf much. Great spot to go to.

Nccm

Registered
Mr. Henderson

College Billiards has a table similar to big bertha with not so tight pockets. You can get a game with
no problem.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Henderson

College Billiards has a table similar to big bertha with not so tight pockets. You can get a game with
no problem.

Thanks, I have not been to College since the late 80’s when I worked in Rancho Bernardo for a while. Lots of players around then including Swanee and Roy The Cook, but no golf that I can remember.

Nccm

Registered
Yes Sir, back then they didn't have a table, they have had a table for about 10 years now with continuous play. Also about 8 billiard tables. Come on down and play golf and 3 cushion.

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a pool hall right next to the rum runner in Vegas nice 6x12 that I've seen some big golf games in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, Hendy. Happy birthday!

Only golf in the mid Atlantic that I have heard of is the outside kind.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf on a snooker table? Do you stand on the table and putt the ball around?

Hey Johnny we're the same age for at least a couple of weeks.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just out of curiosity, did you ever play at the Pool Palace in San Bernardino? I got my start in 3C there in the 80s and they had a 6x12 with an almost perpetual golf game going. Long gone now, and it was about as dumpiest a dump can be, but still, good times.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They recovered that table at Bellflower with some heavier commercial
cloth, and the corners weren't done well. IMO a lot less golf action on
it vs. back in the day.. that table used to always be going.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Indy used to have a really nice daily golf game, and the table time from that kept the rest of the room open.

Jarvis, Oaks, York, and many others come in and out.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blue Fin Billiards.......10’ snooker table.......regular golf games Thurs & Fri.
Sat depends a lot on tournaments being conducted but a game usually gets
played. Contact Tommy Hill, owner & proprietor, 559-276-9000 or myself.
Blue Fin is located in Fresno, CA. It is a great pool hall & Tommy is very social.

Matt B.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For thirty years, probably longer, there was always a golf game going on during the day here in Clearwater. I always said I would learn it when I'm old and have no stroke. Well, I'm old and have no stroke but they got rid of the snooker table a few years ago. Thank god.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blue Fin Billiards.......10’ snooker table.......regular golf games Thurs & Fri.
Sat depends a lot on tournaments being conducted but a game usually gets
played. Contact Tommy Hill, owner & proprietor, 559-276-9000 or myself.
Blue Fin is located in Fresno, CA. It is a great pool hall & Tommy is very social.

Matt B.

I have played on that table Matt. I practiced on it last year on my way to LA to play at James Boch’s house to play a little tournament on his 5 x 10.

The pockets on the 5 x 10 there are brutally tight like the table in Bellflower. Changes the strategy of the game quite a bit. Chris Cruz has invited me down to play, but I have not made it yet. Tommy is a good guy and I talked with him a bit when he came up and played at Hard Times, Sacramento a few weeks ago.