Attachments

• 0331181728-2.jpg
    0331181728-2.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 929

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I went to this one at Q Master. Sigel won one division (9-Ball?) and Varner may have won the Eight Ball or One Pocket (I don't remember). Mizerak did good that year also, may have won one division. The tournament room was separated by a curtain from the main floor of the poolroom and the back room was kind of hidden away and only a few people (players and backers) could get in there. I was with Keith and he stayed in action the whole week. I think he only played the 9-Ball and One Pocket. We might have made enough in the back room to make up for our tournament expenses.

I'm pretty sure it was that year, or a year or so later in 1980 (still the same format but with increased prize money - 5K Eight Ball and One Pocket, 15K in the 9-Ball). I bought a brand new Jay Flowers case ($150), the forerunner to the Justice style cases that are so popular today.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I went to this one at Q Master. Sigel won one division (9-Ball?) and Varner may have won the Eight Ball or One Pocket (I don't remember). Mizerak did good that year also, may have won one division. The tournament room was separated by a curtain from the main floor of the poolroom and the back room was kind of hidden away and only a few people (players and backers) could get in there. I was with Keith and he stayed in action the whole week. I think he only played the 9-Ball and One Pocket. We might have made enough in the back room to make up for our tournament expenses.

I'm pretty sure it was that year, or a year or so later in 1980 (still the same format but with increased prize money - 5K Eight Ball and One Pocket, 15K in the 9-Ball). I bought a brand new Jay Flowers case ($150), the forerunner to the Justice style cases that are so popular today.
Maybe you are thinking of 1980. I think Louie Roberts won the 9 ball in 1979 and Sigel in 80

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Louie Roberts beat David Howard in the second final match of the double-elimination 9-ball event. They got $3000 and $2000 respectively.

In the one pocket, Sigel beat Peter "Rabbit" Linhard twice in the final to take $1500 and Linhard $800.

In 8-ball, Larry Hubbart topped the 8-player field and took home $1200.

The event had been called the "Q-Master Billiards Championships" in advertising in 1978.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
Barry Behrman was very nice and cashed a check from me (a stranger) so I could
buy a set of Centennial balls from someone else for $60.

This was the only time I saw Louie Roberts in person. He came into the tournament
room with a babe on his arm and a highball in his hand. It was like Sinatra.

Mike Sigel played Steve Mizerak. The Miz walks in with a whole lotta swagger and
"Hey, I'm Mr. Lite Beer" attitude. Sigel came in dead serious and focused. I knew
Mike would win, and he did.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Barry Behrman was very nice and cashed a check from me (a stranger) so I could
buy a set of Centennial balls from someone else for $60.

This was the only time I saw Louie Roberts in person. He came into the tournament
room with a babe on his arm and a highball in his hand. It was like Sinatra.

Mike Sigel played Steve Mizerak. The Miz walks in with a whole lotta swagger and
"Hey, I'm Mr. Lite Beer" attitude. Sigel came in dead serious and focused. I knew
Mike would win, and he did.

BBD (Barry before drugs) was a great guy! Once the pills, booze and other stuff took over he became another person about half of the time. The trick was to know which Barry he was at any given moment. :smile-us-down: