lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We already been down this road with the bcapl world thingy.

In all seriousness I understand your remarks. Sure apa nor bcapl do not cover the world and its probably part marketing hype . When uld you rather it be called 3 country championship...as far as i know they cover only 3 countries at the moment.

Btw ....japan just won the 9 ball championship.

Last edited:

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
It is called the APA world championship. If your primary pool playing is within the APA then that comprises most of your pool "World". Anyone in the world can join and play regardless of physical location. Yes it requires relocation in some cases, yes it requires joining the APA "World" and playing on a team, but if you are hell bent on competing in this event.....anybody can. Again.....it is the APA world championship......not the official crowning of the King of pool.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World is really subjective... but they do represent the worlds largest pool league and 4 countries. So I think if the MLB can get by with the 'World Series' in their championship name. Then the APA can have their World Championship.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We used to have the world championships of ping pong in our basement nightly when we were 7,so I guess anything is possible.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No,the name is really "APA World Pool Championships",thats how it is promoted on APA website. And while anyone in the world can join APA league only 3 countries did so far. Hell even the meaning of APA which is "Americans poolplayers association" contradicts the word "World" in the name of such championships:D And some players really think these are legitimate World Championships which limits their view on the pool world drastically which is sad and counterproductive in marketing pro pool...

Do you get worked up when you go to a restaurant and see "Jumbo Shrimp" on the menu?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No,the name is really "APA World Pool Championships",thats how it is promoted on APA website. And while anyone in the world can join APA league only 3 countries did so far. Hell even the meaning of APA which is "Americans poolplayers association" contradicts the word "World" in the name of such championships:D And some players really think these are legitimate World Championships which limits their view on the pool world drastically which is sad and counterproductive in marketing pro pool...

You are correct in that apa stands for American poolplayers. However they also have cpa which stands for Canadian pool layers.....would Japan be jpa ?

I am also interested in hat the 4th country is.

As for the baseball world series. Coop used a perfect analogy in my opion. Baseballs world series does not take in the entire world. And your analogy about the worlds series having their best ball players in it.. Well the same could be said about apa's world championship having their best players in it.

Unlike some leagues where all you have to do is be a member to attend their championships....in Apa you have to qualify by being the best in your area by winning a qualifying tournament.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 countries?wow:eek::eek::eek: out of 195 countries in the world...thats one helluva subjective world:confused::D btw USA,Canada,Japan aaaand....?which is the 4th? And while MLB has probably the highest salaries in baseball world (maybe Japan with their league can compete..?) so at least vast majority of the worlds best players are there hence "World Series" is the competiton of the best baseball players in the world APA surely doesnt fit that criteria..

I am just wondering why this bothers you so much. Are you upset because you do not have APA in your area?

Seems like any league can call their biggest event whatever they want. I still call it BCA Nationals even though they changed the name.

There are much more serious problems with pool than what the biggest league names the event.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What does the OP think of the baseball World Series when that only is comprised of teams from one country?

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am also interested in hat the 4th country is.

In 2015 when I went. They made a very big deal out of being 4 countries. I have no idea how many were present this year or last year. I just remember hearing that number.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The title isn't wrong. It is the championship tournament of all the APA teams in the world. Even if all the APA teams were all in a 5 mile radius, it would still be the "APA World Championships" if there were all eligible to qualify for it. Welcome to marketing.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I disagree. If they called it the "Amateur Pool World Championships," that would be a problem.

If, on the other hand, it is the Championships for all APA players wherever they are, then it is appropriately the "APA World Championships." The adjective "APA" is critical here. Even if APA had only a few players outside the Americas, calling it the APA World Championships is welcoming and appropriate, imo.

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
We used to have the world championships of ping pong in our basement nightly when we were 7,so I guess anything is possible.

lol, I also won many world championships when I was young. The championship represented 3-4 people from a nice cross section of the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Yeah....we used to have the Sorry (board game) Championship of the World every Saturday afternoon at the Meadowbrook recreation center.

Maniac (and I won it numerous times)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I agree with Marek.
Hype tends to devalue language...
..then we have to coin new words to say what we really mean.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Marek.
Hype tends to devalue language...
..then we have to coin new words to say what we really mean.

What would you call it? It is not a National Tournament as other countries participate. Just APA Championships?

I do not believe it is hype.

If you want to get technical, the only sport I can think of which has an actual World Tournament is soccer. So if APA devalues the term "world", then so would basically every other time it is used in a sports context.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What would you call it? It is not a National Tournament as other countries participate. Just APA Championships?

I do not believe it is hype.

If you want to get technical, the only sport I can think of which has an actual World Tournament is soccer. So if APA devalues the term "world", then so would basically every other time it is used in a sports context.

My favorite tournament for most of the years I played pool was the US Open....
...simple honest title and it meant what it said.

Advertising and politics has taken language to a whole new level of bullshit.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA indeed is not available in my area,on the other hand I have other avenues to entertain my desire to compete in pool,Eurotour to name just one;) and why it bothers me? It just doesnt feel right to me to name something "World championships" when it is what it is. And like I said in my original post - i believe that APA does really good job bringing quite a bunch of players together to compete,its just that marketing which is totally ridiculous to me. On the other hand I am an European who happens to hate all kinds of marketing BS, so maybe its just me..

So what would you call it? As far as I know, APA has local and regional championships. This is not a National tournament as that would imply only players in the US are competing. I believe it was called APA Nationals when only players from US and Canada played.

How many countries need to have participants before something is viewed as a world championship?

Just curious.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many countries need to have participants before something is viewed as a world championship?

That is not the point. It is about the level of the competing players. In the Snooker WC there are players from maybe six or seven nations, sometimes even less with a heavy focus on the UK and China.
But these are the best players in the world and the winner of this event can rightly call himself World Champion.

If you call something a World Championship and you can`t get a high amount of top players competing, then it doesn`t really matter if there are 1, 10 or 100 countries featured. You might have a cool, fun tournament with lots of players, but you don`t have a World Championship.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA indeed is not available in my area,on the other hand I have other avenues to entertain my desire to compete in pool,Eurotour to name just one;) and why it bothers me? It just doesnt feel right to me to name something "World championships" when it is what it is. And like I said in my original post - i believe that APA does really good job bringing quite a bunch of players together to compete,its just that marketing which is totally ridiculous to me. On the other hand I am an European who happens to hate all kinds of marketing BS, so maybe its just me..

You're in good company - there was a thread a while back criticizing BCA leagues for calling their big event "BCA pool league World Championships."

Here's the problem: They used to call them "BCAPL National Championships," but there were quite a few people from other countries. They were rightly criticized for naming the tournament as if it was US-only. So they changed it to "World" last year. That's the real basis of the issue, rather than marketing hype.

I don't know the history of the big APA tournament's name, but I would guess it's the same thing.