Bob Manzino "Gatsby"

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is Bob’s latest cue. It was very difficult photographing something where much of the metal inlays seemed to reflect every bit of light. I now know what Ken Kerner was talking about with his Evolution cue. Truly, this has to be seen in person to fully appreciate.

The cue’s design was inspired in part by the iconic Chrysler Building located on Manhattan in New York. That structure, which was completed in May 1930, is regarded by many to be the quintessential model of the architectural designs which so embraced the Art Deco movement of that era.

Given the skyscraper’s uniqueness, Bob and I agreed upon using a particular feature of the building’s interior as the key design element for this cue. Within the sleeve are two primary patterns that display a stylized representation of the Egyptian Papyrus motif, including scalloped fan, which appears on the ornate doors of the lobby elevators.

Last edited:

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Gatsby" Background Stuff

As the design evolved and the layout materialized, I thought the name “Gatsby” would be appropriate given that it was the Hollywood movie and original novel which seemed to capture in my mind that period of time when lavish ornamentation and geometric design was forefront in fashion. The name stuck and Bob and I continued to refer to the project as Gatsby all during the build.

Although the design concept was cool when envisioned on paper, it initially posed some challenges. We needed to retain the key elements of the original artwork and create something that could be looked at as unique, but identifiable. At the same time, it had to have symmetry and proportion.

Last edited:

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Gatsby" More Background Stuff

As if the design work wasn’t enough challenge, the actual build became an even bigger task. The cue consists of over 456 individual inlays. Much of the elevator door artwork was included so as to keep it close to the original design as possible. To do that, there were a whole lot of pockets and inlays Bob needed to plan on.

Further complicating that task was the issue of scale and materials. Closely replicating the shape and design of the original tulips was touch and go at first. We knew they were critical to maintaining any resemblance to the actual artwork, but what to do with them on the cue posed some issues. Each tulip is made up of really four individual parts. To give them depth and contrast, Bob used three different materials (copper, gold & MOP) for inlays. The MOP curls at the tips of each leaf are insanely small. Given the nature of that material, there were more than one or two pieces that got hosed in the cutting process.

Last edited:

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Gatsby" and More Stuff

To achieve element contrast and definition, pockets required hand cut corners. Within the fan alone, each one of the rose myrtle burl inlay pockets as well as the copper half-moons required sharply cut corners. The inlays in these areas are so small that without that attention to detail, they would have been lost in the overall design.

Inlay materials included gold, silver, copper and MOP. In addition, contrasting woods of goldfield, thuya and rose myrtle burls were used to accent the fan motif. The nose and 3-section handle are of goldfield burl. Keeping with my wish to have an ivory free cue, holly was used in the forearm recuts.

It goes without saying that I’m extremely happy to have been a part of this project and to now have this rather unique cue as part of my Manzino collection. However, the real purpose in posting this write-up was to highlight those very special talents that many either aren’t aware of or may not ever get the chance to appreciate. Finally, cues tend to come and go in collections, but the memories of this build and the friendship gained will never be forgotten. Thank you Bob, it was a blast.

Last edited:

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Holy moly!!!! 2016 winner already...smh. What an awesome cue and background! Congrats. Show more pics of the forearm too. ;)

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gorgeous!!!! Truly great design. Whomever owns this cue has a true masterpiece. Thanks for the pics.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul, Congratulations. I was at Bob's shop 10 days ago. Everything was put out of sight except this cue. He explained to me that you said it was ok for me to see it. I was speechless. To say the cue is spectacular would be an understatement. It is one of the most interesting cues I have ever seen! On so many levels this cue is so creative and well executed. BTW, Bob's cues play fantastic...as good as they look.

Enjoy,
Phil

Last edited:

Big Chris

windycitycueshow.com
Silver Member
Wow, incredible work. Truly a piece of art. It's easy to see why Mr Manzino is a top tier cue maker.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Man...I'm nearly speechless...this cue and story behind the build is awe inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing both!!!

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New Favorite

This could be one of the best threads of how a cue came to be. Thanks for sharing.

I am usually not a fan of heavily inlayed cues but this just flows so well. Also started thinking about all the "tribute" cues you see today. Very few can take an inspiration and make it their own without copying it. I spent a good amount of time comparing the Chrysler building indoor pic with the inlay.

Bob pushed the bar once again. Let's see if anyone can compete in '16 - this is looking like a clear winner.

Sanjay

Last edited:

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
" The Captain "

I always say " The Captain Delivers " but l think this goes way beyond delivery ⛵⛵⛵
The nicest Manzino out there, your a lucky collector!!
Also l think Bob is the best to work with all around, time, price & craftsmanship!
Thanks for sharing

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Holly molly:eek::grin-square:
This and Eden are Bob's BEST Cues.
Thanks for sharing, love the material mix.
Ralf