Goodwill Hunting Pool Cue

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always like his style of cues, simple and elegant. Beautiful example of his work, nice find!
Am you understanding that you found that in a Goodwill store?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Great find. I can vouch for the period, as it has the same wrap that Palmer used, at least in their second catalog, that looks like linen, but is actually dacron or similar material. My guess would be anywhere from mid 60s to early 70s or so.

I need to look through Goodwill stores more often...

All the best,
WW

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great find. I can vouch for the period, as it has the same wrap that Palmer used, at least in their second catalog, that looks like linen, but is actually dacron or similar material. My guess would be anywhere from mid 60s to early 70s or so.

All the best,
WW

Spot On!!!, it has been dated as mid to late sixties.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Spot On!!!, it has been dated as mid to late sixties.

What a great find. Just thought I'd show you a later cue I had made as a tribute to Frank Paradise, but the butt could have just as easily been Doc Fry, no? Pretty similar motif.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• 20120914_213603.jpg
    20120914_213603.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 20120914_213706.jpg
    20120914_213706.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,092

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

I agree. Dacron. I have several cues with that wrap including a couple very early Rich cues.

Considering condition and price the cue is a stellar find no matter what it is.

I agree, mid to late sixties.

If it isn't a DF cue it is a very respectable copy of his designs.

I search Goodwill twice a week. But this cue was listed under sporting equipment, not billirds, so I missed it.

The auction sites are not dead. Incorrect or inaccurate listings can be gold.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great find. Just thought I'd show you a later cue I had made as a tribute to Frank Paradise, but the butt could have just as easily been Doc Fry, no? Pretty similar motif.

All the best,
WW

Is that Cortland?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where's the penny?

Yup.

But no worries. He paid pennies for the cue no matter what it is, in a manner of speaking. :thumbup:

Great find.

I would have snagged it for more than what he paid.

Figuring out what it is, that's the next step.

I missed one about 8 years ago that went for $40 on ebay. It ended up in this gallery. Sparkle rings...I knew what it was. Got busy and missed it. It turned out to be quite genuine.

I love this game. Lots of fun hunting. He got something.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup.

But no worries. He paid pennies for the cue no matter what it is, in a manner of speaking. :thumbup:

Great find.

I would have snagged it for more than what he paid.

Figuring out what it is, that's the next step.

I missed one about 8 years ago that went for $40 on ebay. It ended up in this gallery. Sparkle rings...I knew what it was. Got busy and missed it. It turned out to be quite genuine.

I love this game. Lots of fun hunting. He got something.

Barry the man for authentication?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Chopdoc:

How do you know what Lizardking paid? Your posts make it sound like Goodwill has an online auction site, that you were able to search, and found the cue he bought. Lizardking's post make it sound like he physically bought the cue at a brick and morter Goodwill store local to him.

Just curious, as I had no idea Goodwill had an online presence if that is indeed true.
Thank you.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Chopdoc:

How do you know what Lizardking paid? Your posts make it sound like Goodwill has an online auction site, that you were able to search, and found the cue he bought. Lizardking's post make it sound like he physically bought the cue at a brick and morter Goodwill store local to him.

Just curious, as I had no idea Goodwill had an online presence if that is indeed true.
Thank you.

Well, I figured that cat was well out of the bag.

Yes, goodwill has an auction site. There are other auction sites as well.

For the record I never said I knew exactly what he paid. But he got it from Goodwill...so what do you think?

Yes, you can search completed sales at the Goodwill site.

I don't mean to throw the guy under the bus by saying what he paid. That's his business. But it was a public sale. And he said it was Goodwill. So it's pretty much out.

I figured people generally knew about Goodwill. We have spoken of it in the forums before.

I have landed some nice deals from Goodwill as well.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hmm, nice, Abe.
"Details:
Butt - 16 1/8 ounces, 5/16-18 Brass Pin (pictured)
Shaft - 3 3/8 ounces, 12.6mm tip (possible original tip?)"
Hmm, 5/16x14.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Hmm, nice, Abe.
"Details:
Butt - 16 1/8 ounces, 5/16-18 Brass Pin (pictured)
Shaft - 3 3/8 ounces, 12.6mm tip (possible original tip?)"
Hmm, 5/16x14.

Based on the photo, I would say 5/16 X 14. And that's hard to tell, as well-recessed as that joint pin is. But if so, it eliminates some suspects...

All the best,
WW

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Chopdoc:

Thank you.

It was purchased online, from a brick and mortar Goodwill Store. Goodwill Stores have an online auction site that encompasses all Goodwill stores that choose to participate.