Mosconi's 526 run POOL TABLE questions

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
Danny D not even in attendance?

Danny was nowhere near Springfield, Ohio on that day in 1954. He was a teenager in Buffalo, NY trying to learn how to box. I love Danny but he comes up with some interesting stories from time to time. I grew up in Dayton, Ohio and I knew Russ Maddox and George Rood, who bought that poolroom from the previous owner in 1958 or '59. They also both knew Mosconi well and Rood had competed against him before. They told me in no uncertain terms that Mosconi did in fact run the 526 in front of many witnesses and only missed the last ball. It may have been on a break shot. I'm not 100% certain about that though.

I was in that poolroom on High St. in Springfield in the early 60's and there was some kind of plaque on the wall commemorating Mosconi's run. I think it was by the table he made the run on. There may have been a copy of the signed affidavit up there as well. I do remember seeing that document one time when I was a newbie in pool. Willie's run was often talked about back then in Southwestern Ohio poolrooms and I never heard anyone talking about him missing during the run. It seemed like everyone knew someone who was there that day.

Hi Jay,

You as always are such a great wealth of knowledge and factual pool history I always would refer to you or Charlie Ursitti for things like this.

You are correct, Danny having been born in 1937 would have been 17 years old and not even playing pool, but was working on his boxing career.

I mentioned in a previous reply on this post that Danny has some definite issues with Willie's character that he described he formed over a few events with Willie and he never budged on his dislike for the man. As I mentioned he did say he was a masterful player with a touch of a pickpocket. However as for his personal character when he really was at the height of his career he said he was an arrogant snob who demonstrated these poor character flaws on several occasions.

As for the affidavit, I highly doubt there was some mass conspiracy and that everything that we have on record is probably the most accurate info we have on the event.

This was never a challenge to Willie's abilities as I think anyone who loves this game like we do know that Willie was the greatest of his era and will go down in pool history as a true legend.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have received permission from the Smithsonian to reproduce copies of the affidavit signed by witnesses at the time of Mosconi's run. They also gave me a high-resolution scan of the affidavit. Well, not exactly "gave" since they charge a fee for permission to copy. If anyone would like a copy suitable for framing, please let me know and we can discuss the details of printing it.

Here is the affidavit as shown on the Smithsonian's website: https://amhistory.si.edu/archives/images/d9744-4.jpg
(The link in an earlier post above is broken.)

Here is a part of the page showing the resolution a print will have:
CropperCapture[290].jpg

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have received permission from the Smithsonian to reproduce copies of the affidavit signed by witnesses at the time of Mosconi's run. They also gave me a high-resolution scan of the affidavit. Well, not exactly "gave" since they charge a fee for permission to copy. If anyone would like a copy suitable for framing, please let me know and we can discuss the details of printing it.

Here is the affidavit as shown on the Smithsonian's website: https://amhistory.si.edu/archives/images/d9744-4.jpg

View attachment 518057

Did you also get the list of trick shots Mosconi carried in his wallet?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know if the Smithsonian has that?

The brain cells are a little fuzzy on this but I do seem to recall that years ago I saw both the affidavit and the trick shot list together on the Smithsonian site.

Lou Figueroa
but I could
be wrong

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure the Smithsonian would license it for reprint. If I had to guess, I'd say it would be $100 to $200 with permission for fewer than 1000 prints. I do not have permission.

How much demand do you really think is out there for something like this?

Lou Figueroa

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member

View attachment 518057
Thanks Bob, thats a great piece of pool memorabilia. If this original document is stored at the Smithsonian I guess that really puts the matter to rest.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk Pro

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
Danny was born 2/19/1935 (per Wiki), so he was age 19 when Willie ran 526 on 3/19/1954.
I stand corrected. My father was born in 37', Danny in 35'. I often get those 2 years confused.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk Pro

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If this original document is stored at the Smithsonian I guess that really puts the matter to rest. ...
Well, sort of, but there are still a lot of questions about the details. Sadly, no chat room was operating during the run.

But the affidavit has been well known and easily accessible for a long time. It is in no way a new thing. No one should be surprised now by its existence.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was sorting through my extra copies of the National Billiard News and came across this issue with a relevant headline. (The previous owner of the copy is also remarkable.) I think this is the most relevant thread to post it.

CropperCapture[467].jpg

Scan20200217_0004.jpg

Scan20200217_0005.jpg

Scan20200217_0006.jpg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This really isn’t worth 2¢ but I’ll mention it anyways

Back in 82 the first time I went into a real pool room I was told by a guy that the 526 was on a 8’ table with 5” pockets. I asked who was the “best” at pool. He told me Mosconi and went on to mention the equipment which didn’t mean much(anything) at the time. I do remember this well only because I was very interested in the question.

Urban legend or truth. IDK.....What I’m sure of it wasn’t a 10’ table with 4” pockets or had fast cloth.

Fatboy

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was sorting through my extra copies of the National Billiard News and came across this issue with a relevant headline. (The previous owner of the copy is also remarkable.) I think this is the most relevant thread to post it.

View attachment 541582

View attachment 541583

View attachment 541584

View attachment 541585

I played pool with the author of this article several times , he was a pretty cool guy.
One time Grady was hanging around Springfield for a week or so and I still gambled . He kept wanting to bet people he could do the New York Times crossword puzzle faster than anyone in town and even spot them some time.
Since I knew Jimmy, I figured, I would try to talk Grady into betting on the local town paper crossword , which I could get before hand and memorize. After a couple of days I liked Grady so well, I no longer wanted to try it, and he probably wouldn't have gone for it anyway.
My guess is, he had a similar deal with someone at the Times, lol
I sure miss Grady, I was never around anyone that made me laugh as much as he did.
I walked in the door of the DCC one time and he yelled one of the filthiest epithets at me from the feature table area you can imagine, everybody around him was appalled, and I was mortified , I know I had to have been the color of cut beets and he said '
Oh hell , he knows I'm jokin , I felt like I earned my pool crony wings that day.
RIP Grady