Acme 5/16x14 pin

jmonche

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am sure that you guys have answered this in the past, but I can't seem to find the right answer after doing a number of searches, so here goes.... are there any disadvantages (construction and playability) with a cue that has an Acme 5/16x14 pin? Also, does the Acme pin devalue the cue? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure that you guys have answered this in the past, but I can't seem to find the right answer after doing a number of searches, so here goes.... are there any disadvantages (construction and playability) with a cue that has an Acme 5/16x14 pin? Also, does the Acme pin devalue the cue? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me.
Can't speak for all cues butt JOSSWest used to use this type pin and regular 5/16x14 shafts will NOT go on them. Doesn't affect durability or playability. A good cue maker/mechanic can re-tap a shaft to fit.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does not take any value away from the cue at all. It is as structual sound as any other joint screw. Standard shafts will not fit it because the screw has basically square threads. Mr. Stroud used it and I also have a half dozen cues out there with it. The normal size of it is approximately.323x14 acme but I have run across some that were .310x14 acme.

IMG_20191224_102326.jpg

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It does not take any value away from the cue at all. It is as structual sound as any other joint screw. Standard shafts will not fit it because the screw has basically square threads. Mr. Stroud used it and I also have a half dozen cues out there with it. The normal size of it is approximately.323x14 acme but I have run across some that were .310x14 acme.

View attachment 540761
Mike, I hope you see this. Do you know where I can get my hands on a 5/16x14 acme insert for a new shaft?
Thanks, Bob Farr.