Breaking with my playing cue, shaft "The Pro" meucci

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen somewhere in Reddit that the shaft is made out of Maple and it is completely fine to break with it if I'm not concerned about the tip life.

And since I use lepro tips anyway, I thought why carry two cues, so I figure to just break with my Meucci, and it has a maple shaft "The Pro".

So anyway that was just for about two weeks of play and I don't play every day.

Long story short, today my friend noticed something in my ferrule, then after looking at it closely, the ferrule cracked from the top "near" the tip vertically, the crack is small, maybe a quarter of an inch or smaller, is this normal? did the ferrule really cracked from breaking the balls?

P.S. my break is not even that powerful, maybe in the range of 16 to 19 MPH.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen somewhere in Reddit that the shaft is made out of Maple and it is completely fine to break with it if I'm not concerned about the tip life.

And since I use lepro tips anyway, I thought why carry two cues, so I figure to just break with my Meucci, and it has a maple shaft "The Pro".

Long story short, today my friend noticed something in my ferrule, then after looking at it closely, the ferrule cracked from the top "near" the tip vertically, the crack is small, maybe a quarter of an inch or smaller, is this normal? did the ferrule really cracked from breaking the balls?

I had a Meucci Pro and broke with it and didn't have any problems.

However, I never used that shaft anywhere near as many times as I have my other ones.

None of my ferrules or shafts have ever broken or cracked from breaking and I've broke with some of them thousands and thousands of times and I can hit the balls HARD!

Some of the newer LD cues have different constructions (hollow front ends, weird ferrules, etc.), so I don't know how long they would stand up from constant breaking.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Might seem dumb to ask but you sure it’s not a scratch? Ferrules get scratches all the time and it’s real hard to tell if it’s just a scratch or a crack.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Meucci Pro and broke with it and didn't have any problems.

However, I never used that shaft anywhere near as many times as I have my other ones.

None of my ferrules or shafts have ever broken or cracked from breaking and I've broke with some of them thousands and thousands of times and I can hit the balls HARD!

Some of the newer LD cues have different constructions (hollow front ends, weird ferrules, etc.), so I don't know how long they would stand up from constant breaking.

I have an early ninties Meucci Sneaky pete no dot shaft and it cracked around the ferule just as the OP described. I never broke with it either. We just cut it down on the lathe past the hollow part and retipped it. The result was the tenon was exposed flush with the ferrule ring around it. From the side the ferrule was shorter. For me it actually plays nicer(firmer) that way and I did not miss the 1/8th of an inch shorter shaft that resulted. That has held up to this day and it was a cheap easy local fix. The local cue guy did it as part of a retip..no extra charge:)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci has never been known for strong ferrules. Add to that the lightened front-end i would not break with it if it was mine. Just get a good breaker.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might seem dumb to ask but you sure it’s not a scratch? Ferrules get scratches all the time and it’s real hard to tell if it’s just a scratch or a crack.

This is a good question, I will check on that tomorrow since the case is in my car.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I recently plsyed with a pro meucci. fuvk it played nice. meucci is kinda back. dot shafts will finally die the death they deserve

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did the ferrule break here?

attachment.php

Or here?

attachment.php

Or was it more like this one?

main-qimg-6dd335a9b61671ad1a2ac85dc769fad3.webp

Or was it farther back?

DSCF2781.jpg

And yes, these are all Meuccis.

:thumbup:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turned out it’s a crack and I can’t believe breaking soft can cause this

I only bought this cue less than two months or less even than that from budget cues. Is there some sort of policy for this? IMG_8007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
contact them. only way to find out. it shouldn't break but meucci's have a lonnnnnnnnnng history of crummy ferrules. looks like it hasn't changed. USE A BREAK CUE if you have a Meucci. Its that simple.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Another secret in the pool industry.

The Meucci Pro is just a regular shaft with a short ferrule.

No secret complicated technology. Just another sales pitch.

Funny how most shafts today are advertised as LD when they are just regular shafts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Another secret in the pool industry.

The Meucci Pro is just a regular shaft with a short ferrule.

No secret complicated technology. Just another sales pitch.

Funny how most shafts today are advertised as LD when they are just regular shafts.

There are a few LD shafts that just use light ferrule assemblies but the majority use some type of hollowing/filling to reduce end-mass. I like Mezz's method: take a high quality maple and lighten the last 5 or so inches. I've hit a bunch of LD shafts and Mezz are by far the best combination of feel and LD. They're also damn near perfectly made. LIGHT YEARS more quality than ANYTHING Moochy has ever made. EVER.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pro DOES play good but it is NOT meant for breaking. I don't care what anyone says on this. I've owned/used/borrowed Meucci cues for 40yrs and they have NEVER had strong ferrules. Bob has always gone for lightness to achieve some degree of LD going all the way back to about '79. I couldn't tell you how many Meucci ferrules i've seen or heard about coming apart/cracking/exploding due to breaking the balls. Just use a damn break cue. Or buy a better cue.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the cue repair guy and I asked him what can we do, he suggested to cut the ferrule until after the crack and if you see the photo, the ferrule would be very short, the pro shaft already has short ferrule now you can imagine it even shorter.

I agreed and then played with it for a bit using a brand new tip “sniper” and to my surprise it actually plays very good, although I’m missing long shorts but maybe it is due to the new tip, who knows.

But it plays rather good with shorter ferrule.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the cue repair guy and I asked him what can we do, he suggested to cut the ferrule until after the crack and if you see the photo, the ferrule would be very short, the pro shaft already has short ferrule now you can imagine it even shorter.

I agreed and then played with it for a bit using a brand new tip “sniper” and to my surprise it actually plays very good, although I’m missing long shorts but maybe it is due to the new tip, who knows.

But it plays rather good with shorter ferrule.

A good result. Mine held up for years of nearly daily use after we did that to mine!

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good result. Mine held up for years of nearly daily use after we did that to mine!

Did you shorten the ferrule too? And did you notice improvement with that? Is the deflection different?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you shorten the ferrule too? And did you notice improvement with that? Is the deflection different?

I have an early ninties Meucci Sneaky pete no dot shaft and it cracked around the ferule just as the OP described. I never broke with it either. We just cut it down on the lathe past the hollow part and retipped it. The result was the tenon was exposed flush with the ferrule ring around it. From the side the ferrule was shorter. For me it actually plays nicer(firmer) that way and I did not miss the 1/8th of an inch shorter shaft that resulted. That has held up to this day and it was a cheap easy local fix. The local cue guy did it as part of a retip..no extra charge:)

Yes, shortened the entire cue about 1/8 inch. The only change is the cue hit a bit firmer and didn't feel quite as whippy. As for deflection? I haven't gotten to wrapped up in that. I just adapted to how the cue in my hand plays. No big change to be honest!

Last edited:
Did the ferrule break here?

attachment.php

Or here?

attachment.php

Or was it more like this one?

main-qimg-6dd335a9b61671ad1a2ac85dc769fad3.webp

Or was it farther back?

DSCF2781.jpg

And yes, these are all Meuccis.

👍
I think someone removed the weight bolt that helps hold the butt cap on.I just fixed one like that the steel bolt had been replaced with a plastic one and it broke!!