APA Needs to STOP Re-Ranking Players During Touraments

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing APA over a decade, made it to Vegas 7 out of the last 11 years. The severely under handicapped/over handicapped players make up a small percentage of the players I've faced out there. Canadians were specifically under handicapped, a lot played snooker and were excellent shots. Their normal competition were other Canadians, so I can understand how they earned their handicaps.

In Chicago we definitely have our share of sandbaggers. I let my LO know, whether he acts on it or not is out of my control. I do not endorse sandbagging and when we face sand baggers I just tell my players to play their game. If you get too wrapped up in worrying about your opponent you neglect your own game. Worry about what is in your control, not what is out of your control. I you get raised so be it. If you don't like it then quit. No one is making you play in the APA, there are other leagues. It will never be a perfect system, I've seen people go down in handicap on a win, go up because their opponent lost by scratching on an 8 ball, etc. If you try to make sense out of it you will just frustrate yourself.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The APA should promote the singles competition more. It is the only thing in the APA where a player could actually win some money. In the team competition remember your winnings are divided by eight and there is only one winner.

Then players handicaps would be better rated for the team competitions. Just seems to be the singles is kind of an APA afterthought and not promoted enough.

ejasons

Registered
If a team is constantly not marking their safeties, it’ll only show up if the sheets don’t match. And that’s a first I’ve heard of points for matching sheets. We get bonus points for paying on time. But nothing for sheets matching.
Yeah, points for matching sheets seems like a bad idea. We get a point for "score sheet filled out correctly", but we've never failed to get those points, so they're not very strict.

Around here, we do compare innings, since that it an objective measure, and is easy to space out. But don't compare defensive shots (and are told not to), since that is subjective, and, as you mentioned, can be used to see when teams regularly under-report.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Hostile

Ask your league operator. I did, 19 years ago.

I’m not the one *****ing on an online forum as to how unfair a league is that I chose to join? You don’t like it, just leave. Don’t ***** and moan on the way out the door. Like I said, 20 years in the league without one issue. And I play at the max handicap. So....

What is your problem? He simply told a story and his story seems to open a fair question about how his situation was handled.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Been playing APA over a decade, made it to Vegas 7 out of the last 11 years. The severely under handicapped/over handicapped players make up a small percentage of the players I've faced out there. Canadians were specifically under handicapped, a lot played snooker and were excellent shots. Their normal competition were other Canadians, so I can understand how they earned their handicaps.

In Chicago we definitely have our share of sandbaggers. I let my LO know, whether he acts on it or not is out of my control. I do not endorse sandbagging and when we face sand baggers I just tell my players to play their game. If you get too wrapped up in worrying about your opponent you neglect your own game. Worry about what is in your control, not what is out of your control. I you get raised so be it. If you don't like it then quit. No one is making you play in the APA, there are other leagues. It will never be a perfect system, I've seen people go down in handicap on a win, go up because their opponent lost by scratching on an 8 ball, etc. If you try to make sense out of it you will just frustrate yourself.

The reason most Canadians play well is because most of our league play is on 4.5x9 tables. Some bars in small towns have bar boxes. But for me, the only time I ever play on a box is in Vegas. Otherwise, 4.5x9 or 6x12.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
What is your problem? He simply told a story and his story seems to open a fair question about how his situation was handled.

And it’s been answered. He just doesn’t get it.

Handicap declaration form.

HANDICAP DECLARATION FORM.

Got it?

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked why the hostitlity

And it’s been answered. He just doesn’t get it.

Handicap declaration form.

HANDICAP DECLARATION FORM.

Got it?

You haven't answered why the EXTREME Hostility? He is being honest and fair and you are attacking like he is actually being disingenuous. I can tell you now he is just being real but you seem....questionable.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
You haven't answered why the EXTREME Hostility? He is being honest and fair and you are attacking like he is actually being disingenuous. I can tell you now he is just being real but you seem....questionable.

Says the guy who is calling people asses after 33 posts....

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member

It’s actually rife with indifference. Maybe he’ll understand CAPS LOCK. It’s his mode of communicating.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You would think that would be the case, but a lot of the higher finishers in singles move up during the course of the tourney too. I know of one in particular that qualified as a 6 and got to the final "8" as an 8.

He wasn't DQ'd. Had he been playing in a team event, I guess he would put the team in jeopardy.

The APA magazine recently had a spread on the singles championships there were a bunch of them that moved up in ranking also.

Maybe playing singles is the last stage of your APA journey when you can't fly under the radar anymore?

The APA should promote the singles competition more. It is the only thing in the APA where a player could actually win some money. In the team competition remember your winnings are divided by eight and there is only one winner.

Then players handicaps would be better rated for the team competitions. Just seems to be the singles is kind of an APA afterthought and not promoted enough.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Sorry to say it but having read a few of your posts I can only conclude that you are an ASS!

One of the APA haters apologizing again...
No need to be sorry, opinions vary, yours is just insignificant.
I appreciate your input, and ditto :grin:

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of ass backward cop out is this for doing your job, and properly ranking HONEST people BEFOREHAND! So they're not screwed over mid-tournament.

You're pretty quick to accuse people you arbitrarily deem better than their SL as DISHONEST. Just WOW. Thanks "APA Operator"!!

No I'm not. Can you tell me who's honest and who's dishonest ahead of time? That's kind of my point - if I knew which were the dishonest ones ahead of time you wouldn't see them IN the tournament. Until that happens and as long as I have dishonest people in my tournaments, the honest ones will suffer sometimes. This has absolutely nothing to do with whether you are honest or dishonest yourself.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo, what? lol

So, our options are:
1) Get DQ'd, (because your LO didn't have you properly ranked, in someone else's opinion)
2) Convince the APA to "completely overhaul their rating model."
3)??

How about the formula used for ratings so we, as players, can be pro-active about our ranks, and avoid all the trouble of getting ranked out mid- tournament?

Keep score properly. Mark every safe. Mark the table size you play on. Honestly, the system works fine. People are really really dumb though. They don’t know how to do what they are supposed to do. Don’t bother to learn. If scores are kept properly, the “small region vs big city” argument totally evaporates. People should play every match with the same purpose...to try their best and win. If they only do that sometimes, then they are misrepresenting themselves and should expect issues. In 23 years of playing with 100% honest teams, and only getting to Vegas twice, I’ve only once had a player raised unexpectedly. The league office screwed up. It was corrected. Big surprise...we play honest, keep score properly, and don’t have issues. Give it a try.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums