My cue has a bad warp when rolled together but rolls almost perfect when rolled apart

I recently purchased a Brunswick Billiards cue that was made by Joss, and I know it is pointless to say the brand name of the cue that I purchased, but just wanted to mention it anyways.

Well, when I roll both pieces apart on a pool table, they roll almost perfect (other then a very slight roll out in the joint area of the butt, and a little bit of taper roll out in the shaft, but the tip of the shaft remains flat when it is rolled), but when the cue is rolled together, the entire shaft comes pretty far off of the table (probably enough to affect a players game), and I would just like some opinions about why the cue rolls so badly when it is rolled together?

Could it possibly be a warped joint, or what?

If you would not mind giving me 4 minutes of your time by watching the video that I created last night (and telling me what you think about why my cue rolls so badly when rolled together), then I would be very grateful for any opinions about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhauvDnqz18

The shaft of the cue is also damaged. It needs a new tenon, new ferrule, and a new tip.

Is the cue worthless (as it is), or not worth the money that it would cost to get repaired?

I have added pictures of the cue for those that do not wish to view the video that I created.

Thanks for your replies about this.

Attachments

• P9240131.jpg
    P9240131.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 551
  • P9240133.jpg
    P9240133.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 546
  • P9240135.jpg
    P9240135.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 534
  • P9240134.jpg
    P9240134.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 529
  • P9240137.jpg
    P9240137.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 526

DJordan816

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah most likely a facing issue. Another possibility could be that the pin isn't straight but it should be easy to tell if its the pin

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
It looks like there is a warp in the butt when it is rolled. It isn't bad but when you hook up the shaft it gets magnified by the distance. There may also be a facing issue or a slight bend in the pin. Although in the video it looked like the pin was straight.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It looks like there is a warp in the butt when it is rolled. It isn't bad but when you hook up the shaft it gets magnified by the distance. There may also be a facing issue or a slight bend in the pin. Although in the video it looked like the pin was straight.

I agree that the warp is magnified by the distance, but I don't think it's a facing issue
The small lift at the joint typically comes from the handle.
Handle replacements are not that uncommon, but probably not worth the cost for this cue.

So the very slight lift in the joint of the butt could really be causing the straight shaft to roll out that bad? Well, thanks a lot for taking the time to view my video and tell me what you think. I paid $80 for the cue, and really do not want to put all that much more money into it. So now the cue needs not 1, but 2 repair jobs that could possibly be very expensive. Thanks again.

I agree that the warp is magnified by the distance, but I don't think it's a facing issue
The small lift at the joint typically comes from the handle.
Handle replacements are not that uncommon, but probably not worth the cost for this cue.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
So the very slight lift in the joint of the butt could really be causing the straight shaft to roll out that bad?

Something could be a little out of round which magnifies the wobble.
There could be multiple issues with the cue,, but I think the problem is primarily coming from the handle, and what seems slight, could definitely cause a considerable wobble with everything screwed together.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
From my experience, even if the handle was warped, properly facing the butt and shaft should eliminate a lot of the wobble from rolling.

Wow, cue making really sounds like a very hard job. So everything needs to be perfectly straight in the butt for a shaft to also roll straight when screwed on to the butt. I guess a local experienced cue maker could tell me if the cue could be fixed, and how much that would cost before charging me any money? I hope that the re facing will make it roll a little better. My Schon cue butt does not roll perfect either, but the shaft rolls perfect when it is rolled with the butt screwed together. Thanks.

Something could be a little out of round which magnifies the wobble.
There could be multiple issues with the cue,, but I think the problem is primarily coming from the handle, and what seems slight, could definitely cause a considerable wobble with everything screwed together.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Brunswick Billiards cue that was made by Joss, and I know it is pointless to say the brand name of the cue that I purchased, but just wanted to mention it anyways.

Could it possibly be a warped joint, or what?

Is the cue worthless (as it is), or not worth the money that it would cost to get repaired?

Thanks for your replies about this.

It' no surprise that it's made by Joss and it warped. Their warranty doesn't cover a warped cue. I had a nice Joss cue that would wobble quite a bit when just the butt was rolled on a table. It was within a couple months of being brand new. I sent it to Joss and they couldn't do anything about it. Not only is it typical of the junk they produce, but they'll weasel their way out of any fix (defect in workmanship or materials) by stating that warped cues are not covered.
I'm not saying they don't hit well and most Joss owners never have a warranty issue, but when you do, the cue suddenly becomes worthless, just like Joss's warranty and Danny Janes's word.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It' no surprise that it's made by Joss and it warped. Their warranty doesn't cover a warped cue. I had a nice Joss cue that would wobble quite a bit when just the butt was rolled on a table. It was within a couple months of being brand new. I sent it to Joss and they couldn't do anything about it. Not only is it typical of the junk they produce, but they'll weasel their way out of any fix (defect in workmanship or materials) by stating that warped cues are not covered.
I'm not saying they don't hit well and most Joss owners never have a warranty issue, but when you do, the cue suddenly becomes worthless, just like Joss's warranty and Danny Janes's word.

Some folks just dont get it.

In the book about Sam Walton of Wal-Mart fame, it tells a story about an unhappy customer with some problem tires. The customer comes back and says he got these tires from Walmart and he thinks they are terrible and wants his money back. The manager of the department refuses to refund the money and the customer asks to speak to Sam.

Sam tells the department manager to refund the money. The department manager shares that the tires in question are not even sold by Walmart. Sam tells the department manager to refund his money anyway. He tells them that the money refunded is nothing compared to the bad reputation and hard feelings that the disgrunted customer will share with everyone he knows.

To me, it appears that Sam knew a few things about customer service and the big picture.

Ken

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Anyone with a lathe could straighten out MOST of the wobble.
The joint surfaces should be faced off and the tip turned down.

Post your video in the Ask the Cuemaker section for an answer.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some folks just dont get it.

In the book about Sam Walton of Wal-Mart fame, it tells a story about an unhappy customer with some problem tires. The customer comes back and says he got these tires from Walmart and he thinks they are terrible and wants his money back. The manager of the department refuses to refund the money and the customer asks to speak to Sam.

Sam tells the department manager to refund the money. The department manager shares that the tires in question are not even sold by Walmart. Sam tells the department manager to refund his money anyway. He tells them that the money refunded is nothing compared to the bad reputation and hard feelings that the disgrunted customer will share with everyone he knows.

To me, it appears that Sam knew a few things about customer service and the big picture.

Ken

Off topic:

The other side of the coin:

Its funny, I worked in a Walmart return center for a few days. They have 4 or 5 in the country. These are huge centers where every individual store ships their returned merchandise to.

People return brand new perfectly working stuff for claiming it is broken. People also put in old stuff in the new box from another brand, and return it keeping the new one for free. Walmart also does not lose any money on returns. Every item that is returned is charged back to the manufacturer. That's why Walmart (today) does not care about taking anything back.

How do I know this, the manufacturers send employees (me in this case), to audit Walmart's returns. We open up all the returned items, test them, and the ones that were legitimately broken, are charged to the manufacturer. The ones that have no issues, we make Walmart refund the money to the manufacturer. In my company's products, the ratio of b.s. returns to legit was something like 10 to 1.

WIthout this audit process, Walmart keeps every dime from every return. And only a few companies do the audits, and not on a regular basis either.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the ferrule and tenon replacement will probably cost you about $40 to $50 or so with a 1 piece tip.

The butt is warped. Can't be fixed without rebuilding hte whole cue (not worth it).

As stated, a reface might help for $10 or $20, but the root problem is the butt is warped.

Your shaft wil also not fit on any other butt, if it is indeed the 5/16-13 thread (not 14).

So for $40 to $70 depending on what your local prices are, and what you decide to do, you will end up with a warped cue with a new tip and ferrule. It will probably play just fine. I doubt you'd be able to sell it for more than $60 locally after it had a new tip and ferrule.

If you decide to get it repaired, or just call the whole thing a loss, and put the repair money into another used cue, is up to you. You can at least see what your local repair prices are for the new tip and ferrule, before you decide. But by all means, don't go putting an ivory ferrule and a moori tip on it:):)

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
If the cue was shipped to you from another state (different climate), you may want to give it a week or so before you do anything. I've had some butts warp slightly in shipping before and then straighten out some over time.

But the consensus here is right, that small of a roll out in the butt can definitely lead to what you are seeing in the shaft when it's screwed together.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy and Cheap Fix

If you just want it to roll pretty straight when it is together, all you need is some scotch tape on the face of the butt collar.

It's simple. Put the cue together, roll it to where the tip comes off the table and mark the butt collar. That's where you put the scotch tape on just half of the face of the joint collar.

Not all the way around, just on half. If it's not enough, put one more layer of scotch tape on it. Usually just one piece will do though.

Simple and cheap!:thumbup:

Rub that Magic Tape hard enough and it comes almost invisible.