Happy Veterans Day

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
To all az members and readers who served or are on active duty now, thank you for your service and hope you have a great day.

Maybe go hit some balls or go get a bite to eat. There are a number of national chains who are offering some freebies to active service members and vets between today and tomorrow. They can be found here:

https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/09/free-meals-military-personnel-veterans-day/

Also you can check your local news sites for some add'l local offers.

And most importantly, thanks to all those who made the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedom. :yeah:

best,
sgt chicken, 4th Inf Div, long ago

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
To all veterans out there, thank you for your service. Marines, happy belated 242!

0ne9marine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy birthday Marines

Attachments

• 14907067_1276313105744229_6322006808869203479_n.jpg
    14907067_1276313105744229_6322006808869203479_n.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 151

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. Serving in our nations military was an honor and privilege for me and it definitely helped me to grow up in a hurry.

Radio KILR in Estherville, Iowa interviewed my Uncle Ed Kroenke yesterday. It is worth listening to if anyone is interested. He is my families last surviving WWII vet and landed on D Day with the 101st Airborne before transferring to the 82nd Airborne do to all the casualties his group suffered.

He is 92 now and was 18 when he was drafted. He had a rifle shot out of his hands, caught a round through his helmet that nicked his head and eventually cost him an eye.

Froze all his toes at the Battle of the Bulge and told me those fox holes were the coldest place on earth. He liked the big BAR.

He is one of 13 from his original group of 155 to get home alive or in one piece. The first group was shot up so bad they had to be reinforced as only about 35 were left after 2 weeks. Same thing happened to the reinforcements.

I love him and wish we were closer.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Thanks to all of you for the kind words. Serving in our nations military was an honor and privilege for me and it definitely helped me to grow up in a hurry.

Radio KILR in Estherville, Iowa interviewed my Uncle Ed Kroenke yesterday. It is worth listening to if anyone is interested. He is my families last surviving WWII vet and landed on D Day with the 101st Airborne before transferring to the 82nd Airborne do to all the casualties his group suffered.

He is 92 now and was 18 when he was drafted. He had a rifle shot out of his hands, caught a round through his helmet that nicked his head and eventually cost him an eye.

Froze all his toes at the Battle of the Bulge and told me those fox holes were the coldest place on earth. He liked the big BAR.

He is one of 13 from his original group of 155 to get home alive or in one piece. The first group was shot up so bad they had to be reinforced as only about 35 were left after 2 weeks. Same thing happened to the reinforcements.

I love him and wish we were closer.

and now I love him, too. :smile:

Thanks for sharing his story and for your service, as well. :cool:

and roger that on the service helping us to grow up.

best,
brian kc

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I stand and salute our military when I see them walking through the airports. If we are in a line to pay for food, I'm buying theirs! I do the same for police and firefighters at local restaurants, picking up their check. That's my way of saying thanks.
I was regular U.S. Army during the late 60's and stayed stateside for my service. I supported the troops going overseas, driving trucks and buses and working in supply. Some of us did not go to 'Nam, but we were still an integral part of the overall effort.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I stand and salute our military when I see them walking through the airports. If we are in a line to pay for food, I'm buying theirs! I do the same for police and firefighters at local restaurants, picking up their check. That's my way of saying thanks.
I was regular U.S. Army during the late 60's and stayed stateside for my service. I supported the troops going overseas, driving trucks and buses and working in supply. Some of us did not go to 'Nam, but we were still an integral part of the overall effort.

You signed the same blank check as others, some had to cash it...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To all az members and readers who served or are on active duty now, thank you for your service and hope you have a great day.

Maybe go hit some balls or go get a bite to eat. There are a number of national chains who are offering some freebies to active service members and vets between today and tomorrow. They can be found here:

And most importantly, thanks to all those who made the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedom. :yeah:

best,

Thanks from Gail an’ me.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• 9EA4ABAA-3BA4-4FAE-8341-492A9302AED3.jpg
    9EA4ABAA-3BA4-4FAE-8341-492A9302AED3.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 108

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Definitely...thanks to our veterans. Not just on Veterans day, but every day.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You signed the same blank check as others, some had to cash it...

You're right about that. The Army owned me for six years!
The day I got out of Basic (and Advanced) Training in Fort Polk, LA. (Oct. 1966) I drove non stop to Johnston City, IL. I had two weeks to report to my new Company in Dayton and I spent it watching the hustlers hustle each other. It was glorious! :thumbup2:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Happy Veterans Day to you too. THANKS FOR SERVING!

JoeyA

best,