CNC's for cuemakers

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got lucky and only ended up paying about 400.00 for it. I Haven't seen a deal like that in many years.

I added the DRO and vfd, but the powerfeeds and power drawbar came with it.

I have access to my friend's mill, which is a Vectrax Bridgeport clone, with ground ballscrews and Centroid controls built in for full 3-axis machining. Only problem is, the controls are over 20 years old, so I have to use an old XP computer to transfer jobs to 5-1/4" floppy! It only cut aluminum in its life so it runs beautifully. Was disgusted to hear they paid $500 for it!

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Only thing about MX4660 is I've heard a couple issues early on about one axis going out on them. I believe they are DM542s but not sure if the unit is user-serviceable.

I do have a 4HP Chinese spindle/VFD, as well as 49" OAL THK super-precision linear rail set, all NOS, if anyone's interested.

Marriss' support at GeckoDrive is second to none, and he is one of the most knowledgeable guys out there in the CNC world. His online resources are super-helpful. He has a new G214 that allows up to 256 microsteps, and new step-morphing technology allowing smoother movement and better resonance damping.

Hello Louie,

I bought the Tekno 3140-C, so in terms of spindle, I am good for the time being :)
Sent you a PM.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
. . . .

Marriss' support at GeckoDrive is second to none, and he is one of the most knowledgeable guys out there in the CNC world. His online resources are super-helpful. He has a new G214 that allows up to 256 microsteps, and new step-morphing technology allowing smoother movement and better resonance damping.

I agree Maris's support is excellent.
Gary

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is anyone using a Centroid for a router or any cnc machines?If so what are your thoughts?
How does Centroid compare to Mach3? Is Mach 4 worth looking at?
Any ideas or input will be appreciated.
Neil Lickfold

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is anyone using a Centroid for a router or any cnc machines?If so what are your thoughts?
How does Centroid compare to Mach3? Is Mach 4 worth looking at?
Any ideas or input will be appreciated.
Neil Lickfold

Neil,
I've been looking at upgrading my 2-axis tapering rig, so your question is of interest to me as well. The Centroid software demo video is pretty convincing. I guess my only concern is the pretty strict requirements on the control PC - something I had not planned on, but not necessarily out of the question.
My research has found that Mach3 is popular and well supported on the forums at places such as CNCZone, but is not actively being improved on by ArtSoft. Mach4 isn't getting great reviews. One software that is getting good reviews (and some mixed) is UCCNC, which you might want to look at.
My 2 cents,
Gary

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil,
I've been looking at upgrading my 2-axis tapering rig, so your question is of interest to me as well. The Centroid software demo video is pretty convincing. I guess my only concern is the pretty strict requirements on the control PC - something I had not planned on, but not necessarily out of the question.
My research has found that Mach3 is popular and well supported on the forums at places such as CNCZone, but is not actively being improved on by ArtSoft. Mach4 isn't getting great reviews. One software that is getting good reviews (and some mixed) is UCCNC, which you might want to look at.
My 2 cents,
Gary

I run a Centroid Acorn on a CNC lathe conversion. Personally I think the Acorn paired with DMM Tech servos and drives is unbeatable. More importantly how ever I think that the Centroid CNC software is hands down better than either iteration of Mach. The user interface in my opinion is simple, and very intuitive to use where as I always felt that mach just seemed way to cluttered. The built in "Conversational" programming aspect of the software virtually eliminates the need for a third party CAD program.

Currently the only drawback I can see as possibly being an issue is that the Acorn is limited to four axis's. On small routers with a single drive, IE: 1 servo/stepper per axis this would not be a problem as you would have your standard 3 axis layout with a 4th axis available for an indexer, However for larger routers with a paired axis IE: 2 servos/steppers to drive a single axis you would loose the ability to have an indexer unless you hardware paired your motors but that would be at the cost of auto squaring. They are still in development of the CNC router software but if they keep with the current software model you will have to buy a pro license at an additional $139.00 dollar cost for the software axis pairing option as currently the standard license does not allow for software pairing of an axis.

Mind you all of this relates to the Acorn, their other products off the ability to have upto I believe 8 axis's with add on cards but that also comes at a much steeper price point.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I actually might be putting my secondary CNC for sale soon since I am thinking about going through a different setup. If anybody is interested feel free to text me 385-212-0979. I can send more pics and details.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input and the highlighting of some potential limitations.
Neil

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
I run a Centroid Acorn on a CNC lathe conversion. Personally I think the Acorn paired with DMM Tech servos and drives is unbeatable. More importantly how ever I think that the Centroid CNC software is hands down better than either iteration of Mach. The user interface in my opinion is simple, and very intuitive to use where as I always felt that mach just seemed way to cluttered. The built in "Conversational" programming aspect of the software virtually eliminates the need for a third party CAD program.

Currently the only drawback I can see as possibly being an issue is that the Acorn is limited to four axis's. On small routers with a single drive, IE: 1 servo/stepper per axis this would not be a problem as you would have your standard 3 axis layout with a 4th axis available for an indexer, However for larger routers with a paired axis IE: 2 servos/steppers to drive a single axis you would loose the ability to have an indexer unless you hardware paired your motors but that would be at the cost of auto squaring. They are still in development of the CNC router software but if they keep with the current software model you will have to buy a pro license at an additional $139.00 dollar cost for the software axis pairing option as currently the standard license does not allow for software pairing of an axis.

Mind you all of this relates to the Acorn, their other products off the ability to have upto I believe 8 axis's with add on cards but that also comes at a much steeper price point.

Seems like I remember the pulse rate limited to 100khz. Were u able to run the dmm motors with there actual resolution or did u have to use electronic gearing?

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Laguna tools "swift" looks good.

https://lagunatools.com/

It is a good machine but does not have the travel if you want to do tapering. For inlay work, cutting points, ring billets, cutting parts and engraving if you have a 4th axis setup on the table it will work. But way over priced. You can't get the Laguna for less for less than $8,000.00 after shipping, taxes, 4th axis, etc.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have the same 18x48 mini Tony.
There are a couple things to be aware of, unless he's made changes.
1. you can't tighten the couplers onto the ballscrews AFTER you've installed the screws, so make sure they are already on or you'll have to take it apart again. This applies to all his machines I believe.
2. The zerks on the ballscrews are tucked away as well, so grease them before you assemble the z and y axis. The x can be accessed simply by sliding a table piece.
3. the caps that hold the end bearings should be a slip fit, not a press fit. My x end caps were machined incorrectly and George had to send new ones out.

I've also got the 4660 running nicely and would be happy to help. I made custom brackets and paid 250.00 for the REAL Molex crimper, which makes things very neat and tidy.

I can duplicate the brackets here with the Bridgeport and make up the wires, which I have plenty of as well since they are the same machines.

I apologize for being rude to you in the past, so I'm trying to take a step in the correct direction. I have spent way too much of my life hanging on to grudges.

I also have more than enough of the EXPENSIVE wires that Clearpath recommends for their machines if anyone needs them...
Welcome back

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since this thread got revived how have all of you made out with with your CNCs? We still use a Taig CNC mill for inlays and a Bludworth 4 head CNC saw machine for tapering shafts. We started rebuilding another Bludworth single head CNC, but got side tracked and never got it going.

CroweCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since this thread got revived how have all of you made out with with your CNCs? We still use a Taig CNC mill for inlays and a Bludworth 4 head CNC saw machine for tapering shafts. We started rebuilding another Bludworth single head CNC, but got side tracked and never got it going.
pretty sure everyone knows my story with george lol. Cary at dark horse cues offered his help getting the rest of the parts made for the frame. After those arrive, its on to z axis and tons of electronics.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
pretty sure everyone knows my story with george lol. Cary at dark horse cues offered his help getting the rest of the parts made for the frame. After those arrive, its on to z axis and tons of electronics.
What electronics did you end up with ?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm on the opposite end of the cue making spectrum from you all (I'm a hobbyist), but I've had fun using a $150 3018 CNC to make simple inlays.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I can taper within a thous with the mini. Using Cuecut makes everything easy to match or create any taper I'd like. The Predator, much like DZ's but with a 5hp Colombo, is a beast. After leaving the mini without a brake, because it never dropped when not under power, I came into the shop to find the Z laying on the table. Getting a new nut from George was....difficult. I just needed the nut, and found one that worked while waiting. George sent me two screw and nut assemblies for the price of one...I'm still using the Ebay nut. The Predator, with the heavy spindle and Z assembly refused to stay put when not energized. I put a brake on it that Acorn releases when it gets the initial command.. works great. I like Acorn much more than Mach and the transition wasn't difficult.