Kamui Black Super Soft vs Techno Dud

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How different do these two tips play. Getting my player re-tipped next week and thinking of trying out the Techno Dud (hear it's the new craz)...

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm doing the same and would also like to know. I'm worried about mushrooming as well because I never had that problem with layered tips other than kamui brown and moori

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use some milkduds, and have been for several years. They're made by Az member 'pooldawg8' for about $3 each. There's no way in hell others can get any better, maybe pricier but not better!

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use some milkduds, and have been for several years. They're made by Az member 'pooldawg8' for about $3 each. There's no way in hell others can get any better, maybe pricier but not better!
Yup!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you.

I am looking for an opinion on how close or different they play though...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can advise is I switched all my cues, except the Prewitt that still has original Moori Brown tips,
to Kamui Clear Black soft tips. One by one every cue was switched over to KBC soft tips and I have
zero regrets. In fact, folks that try my cues invariably ask what type of tip is it since they liked the feel.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
If you love the tip you have, stick with it. No sense in wasting money chasing something better when you already like what you have.

That said I've tried both and would take a technodud over Kamui any day, but I didn't like any of the Kamui tips I've tried

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you.

I am looking for an opinion on how close or different they play though...

Different. The Techno Dud hits more like a medium. So it plays on the firmer side. However, the hit is very nice, and it grips the ball like crazy. Maintenance is nearly non existent. Probably the most consistent tip I e ever used as far as keeping its shape and hardness. The Kamui SS is much softer, also grabs like crazy. It will hit far mushier, and will need regular maintenance to keep a good surface on the tip.

If you’ve not tried the Techno Dud, I highly recommend it.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different. The Techno Dud hits more like a medium. So it plays on the firmer side. However, the hit is very nice, and it grips the ball like crazy. Maintenance is nearly non existent. Probably the most consistent tip I e ever used as far as keeping its shape and hardness. The Kamui SS is much softer, also grabs like crazy. It will hit far mushier, and will need regular maintenance to keep a good surface on the tip.

If you’ve not tried the Techno Dud, I highly recommend it.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I'm seeing Mike on Monday (tentatively scheduled) so I think for now I will stick with (since he doesn't stock them I think) with my go to Kamui Black Super Soft for now. But in the future I will try it out.

I know that with the KBSS at a certain point (I'm there now) I can't hit as far out without popping the cue ball up. I was trying to see how far low I could go and it was about 3mm from the stripped ball line...

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you love the tip you have, stick with it. No sense in wasting money chasing something better when you already like what you have.

That said I've tried both and would take a technodud over Kamui any day, but I didn't like any of the Kamui tips I've tried[/QUOTE

Last year I switched all my shafts to Kamui clear black and I did not like them for anything but breaking. I switched my player back to Triangle and am playing with much fewer miss hits.

Just my thoughts

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just go with an Ultraskin baby!

Honestly,you should try an Ultraskin for $5-7 a piece retail...or as I just found out on this forum, someone sells here for under $3 each!! (Medium is my preference and think they perfect)

I've used about 12-15 Kamui tips in both black and tan at different hardness ratings...I like this brand too, but didn't notice any type of differences in performance that justified the higher prices. Also, I change my own tips by hand with no lathe (just got pretty good--my own thread to come on that later) so I have a lot of single-piece leather tips like Triangles, Elkmaster, LePro and Triumph and some water buffalo I like to mess with.

Maybe I'm one of the few, but any tip I've tried will work...I've never 'hated' a tip before.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm seeing Mike on Monday (tentatively scheduled) so I think for now I will stick with (since he doesn't stock them I think) with my go to Kamui Black Super Soft for now. But in the future I will try it out.

I know that with the KBSS at a certain point (I'm there now) I can't hit as far out without popping the cue ball up. I was trying to see how far low I could go and it was about 3mm from the stripped ball line...

Good morning. Haven't been posting much. Just working.
Your right, I don't stock Techno duds nor will I at this point. I will install any tip that the customer supplies and based on the consistency of how they trim and shape, along with playability, that will determine whether I add them to my inventory or not. Based on numerous installs, I find the Techno to be inconsistant so far. If the starting point is an Elkmaster, then the starting point is one of the most inconsistent tips to date.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning. Haven't been posting much. Just working.
Your right, I don't stock Techno duds nor will I at this point. I will install any tip that the customer supplies and based on the consistency of how they trim and shape, along with playability, that will determine whether I add them to my inventory or not. Based on numerous installs, I find the Techno to be inconsistant so far. If the starting point is an Elkmaster, then the starting point is one of the most inconsistent tips to date.

As Always Mike, I turn to you for advise thank you. Hope to see you Monday...

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member

That said I've tried both and would take a technodud over Kamui any day, but I didn't like any of the Kamui tips I've tried

Last year I switched all my shafts to Kamui clear black and I did not like them for anything but breaking. I switched my player back to Triangle and am playing with much fewer miss hits.

Just my thoughts

I went through a phase where I was trying everything under the sun. I loved Sniper tips, but thought I could find something better. I'd buy a tip, put it on, try it out, cut it off and put a Sniper back on. Who knows how much I wasted on that. Fwiw of all the tips I did try, I liked Kamui black the least. That's out of Sniper, Moori, Ultraskin, Kamui browns and Dennis Searing's tips.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Honestly,you should try an Ultraskin...I've never 'hated' a tip before.

I've had only one tip I really hated, and it was an ultraskin. Had more freshly-chalked miscues with that tip than any other I've ever had.

I guess mileage varies.