Raffles?

wackychung

Registered
I'm going to start this by saying this isn't to bash anyone's raffle.
I've seen a couple of raffles here that sell the tickets for more than the item is worth.
Example: $2 per spot 46 spots= $92 but the item only cost $50. Is this ok? since the costs are split and everyone is only paying $1 more? or is this frowned upon?
if it's ok and people join the raffles, how come everyone doesn't just raffle off their items to get more money?
Again not bashing anyone's raffle, just trying to understand

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When running or joining a raffle, you have to take into account fees and shipping. It seems like most people will not join if it is not a good value, or if the seller seems to be asking too much....not always the case though.

I think most people understand that raffles are a lot more work then an outright sale, and do not mind the seller making a little bit more by doing a raffle. Of course someone making more then the item is worth new is not cool.

If everyone did a raffle at the same time, I think it would not be a good thing. With so many raffles going on at once, I think the percent of raffles filling would go down greatly. I think 3-6 good raffles at once is a good number. When guys are doing 2-3 raffles at a time, I think it actually hurts the raffle section in whole. There are only so many of us who participate in raffles, and I try to be courteous as possible to the others.

abie10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most raffles work that way, they are meant to make money, not to serve anyone else.

do the math on any raffle (on here or in the real world) and the money collected ALWAYS equals more than the prize or prizes given

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
In some Raffles, the owner is maybe getting more than what the item might be worth. I usually do the math but don't pay much mind re
what the seller is going to make on his end. Its like 5 bucks so I'll throw my hat in the ring sometimes.

Generally I believe the owner (hereby known as the Raffler) is pretty fair about pricing the item per spot and not making a ton. Maybe they have tried to sell the item with no luck and this is another way to market the cue or case so they have some cash to move on and do another deal.

The buyers (hereby known as the Raflees) are generally getting a good deal by purchasing a cheap chance on a more expensive item.

For myself, its seldom about whether or not I need or can or can't afford to buy something if I want it, more than just joining in and taking a chance on winning a prize. I usually have just stuck to the $10 or under raffles.

Definitely would like to see a Dennis Searing cue for $5 spots. I would buy all of them.

Its more work to run a raffle than it is to just list an item for sale so if the Raffler makes a bit more on it, good for him.
If I win a $500 cue or case for $10, good for me.
Either way, they can be fun and I like having fun. Fun is my middle name.

So far, batting Zero on the raffles but every dog has its day.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
In just about every state when a Raffle is licensed it is a rule (law) that the total value of the tickets cannot exceed the retail price of the item including certain fees.

Rightfully someone SHOULD have the right to raffle off items for whatever they want to. But that's the law. In the league national events the rules say you can't raffle off items for more than the retail value.

Basically it's up to each person to decide for themselves how much they want to risk on any item. I personally don't want to have to deal with 46 transactions every time I sell a case. I would only do raffles if I had some way to automate the process and it was legal and safe for both sides.

As a person buying a raffle ticket I am really not much concerned about whether the person holding the raffle is getting more than the retail price or not. For me it's only about how many tickets are being sold so I know the odds and the cost of the tickets so I can decide on how much risk I want to take.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
basically it's up to each person to decide for themselves how much they want to risk on any item. I personally don't want to have to deal with 46 transactions every time i sell a case. I would only do raffles if i had some way to automate the process and it was legal and safe for both sides.

amen.......................:d

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Ross, if they are one dollar a spot, consider them sold.
If not, I will have to rob the piggy bank.

RichLec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raffles??? Where? Lol... I am addicted to the raffles section here. Still haven't won one but like everyone else said it's all about how much you are willing to risk. The people who join the raffles are the ones that will make it happen. If you decide to put a raffle up that looks like you are trying to steal from them then guess what, you are going to have a pretty empty raffle.

The Schwartz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, People are free to try to sell whatever they like for however much they feel it is worth. If I don't like the price of spots in a raffle, I don't buy spots. Simple as that. The same principle is applied for anything else I buy, except gasoline...

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most raffles work that way, they are meant to make money, not to serve anyone else.

do the math on any raffle (on here or in the real world) and the money collected ALWAYS equals more than the prize or prizes given

Not true. I have run raffles and I take into account what I would sell it for and add 4% for paypal and shipping. I don't inflate the price.

I participate in raffles where I believe the price is fair. If I think they are gouging too much, I just don't get in.

It does seem like there are a lot of raffles going on right now. Many more than before.

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I beg to differ my friend, not ALL raffles work that way! Do the math, when I raffle a $1000 cue (which the end user can check the price of online) I sell 100 tickets @ $10 each.....last time I did math, 10 x 100 = $1000! The cue companies do it as a way to get back some of the costs incurred during big events like the BCA Nationals, and in return the winner receives a cue that perhaps they would never be able to afford otherwise, for $10....it is a win win for all.

In future I would suggest you do your research before making such blanket statements.

Respectfully
Grace Nakamura-Babcock

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In some Raffles, the owner is maybe getting more than what the item might be worth. I usually do the math but don't pay much mind re
what the seller is going to make on his end. Its like 5 bucks so I'll throw my hat in the ring sometimes.

Generally I believe the owner (hereby known as the Raffler) is pretty fair about pricing the item per spot and not making a ton. Maybe they have tried to sell the item with no luck and this is another way to market the cue or case so they have some cash to move on and do another deal.

The buyers (hereby known as the Raflees) are generally getting a good deal by purchasing a cheap chance on a more expensive item.

For myself, its seldom about whether or not I need or can or can't afford to buy something if I want it, more than just joining in and taking a chance on winning a prize. I usually have just stuck to the $10 or under raffles.

Definitely would like to see a Dennis Searing cue for $5 spots. I would buy all of them.

Its more work to run a raffle than it is to just list an item for sale so if the Raffler makes a bit more on it, good for him.
If I win a $500 cue or case for $10, good for me.
Either way, they can be fun and I like having fun. Fun is my middle name.

So far, batting Zero on the raffles but every dog has its day.

It's good to know there are people out there that still possess common sense....you going to Vegas????

Hope to see you guys again soon!
Grace
PS If you are coming to Vegas for ACS I will be at the Lucasi booth, I will however be RAFFLING for Espiritu Cues at the BCA, 200 tickets @ $10 and the winner can design their own cue or take one of the pre-built custom cues at the show!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's good to know there are people out there that still possess common sense....you going to Vegas????

Hope to see you guys again soon!
Grace
PS If you are coming to Vegas for ACS I will be at the Lucasi booth, I will however be RAFFLING for Espiritu Cues at the BCA, 200 tickets @ $10 and the winner can design their own cue or take one of the pre-built custom cues at the show!

Grace is a raffle goddess!!! She gets out there and gets it done at those shows. I'd love to see how many miles she would put on a pedometer when she is out selling raffles.

Never any worry with her raffles, always fair and always good stuff. See you down the road Grace!

samurai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grace is a raffle goddess!!! She gets out there and gets it done at those shows. I'd love to see how many miles she would put on a pedometer when she is out selling raffles.

Never any worry with her raffles, always fair and always good stuff. See you down the road Grace!

Hey JB Cases, I did wear a pedometer one year and logged 32 miles a day....thanks for the vote of confidence, our job is tough enough at these events without people making assumptions, and painting everyone with the same brush...hope to see you soon, now it's off to Vegas for 16 days.