Introduction

ArmyDoc

Registered
Hey everyone, I just joined the forum today, I didn't see an "introduction area" so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I've been playing pool for a couple years now, haven't had much time since joining the military but my new unit has a rec-room with a table and I got the itch again. Unfortunately my cue was stolen while I was home on leave, nothing special (an old viking with a mcdermot shaft) that was given to me for helping a guy move lol. I'm in the market for a new cue and looking in the 200-300 dollar range. I think I'm set on the Joss JOS01. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to getting to know the folks on here and learning everything I can.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The JOSS is not a bad choice at all. There are many options though so take your time. You already have a cue.

Are you an MD?

Welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

ArmyDoc

Registered
The JOSS is not a bad choice at all. There are many options though so take your time. You already have a cue.

Are you an MD?

Welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

Not an MD lol. I'm a line medic for a Military Police company. Thanks for the welcome!:grin:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Weclome to the forum... Joss is a fine cue for that price range. I always liked mcdermotts too.

ArmyDoc

Registered
Weclome to the forum... Joss is a fine cue for that price range. I always liked mcdermotts too.

Thank you, I've thought about a Lucasi but have read that their qaulity has gone down over the years. Any suggestions on mcdermotts in the price range I'm looking for?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you, I've thought about a Lucasi but have read that their qaulity has gone down over the years. Any suggestions on mcdermotts in the price range I'm looking for?

I have a 4 year old Lucasi and it has held up very well. The quality of Lucasi cues has gotten better thru the years. They make a fine cue in the lower price point range. But you certainly can not go wrong with a Joss.
And as an old veteran i welcome you to the forum and thank you for your service.
And watch out for a poster named Tramp Steamer. :eek:

Last edited:

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cant really go wrong with a Joss. They look nice and play great. Throw a LD shaft on and it will play even better.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member

That's the rep I've heard for lucasi too. They sound fancy but they're considered entry-level. I like the Zorro cue lol - http://www.mcdermottcue.com/zor3.php

But honestly, I dunno, all the ones in that price range seem pretty similar (g-core shaft, everest tip) so it comes down to looks. I had no issues with the G-core shaft but the everest tip may need some adjustment.

Someone else mentioned low deflection shafts, I personally like mine a lot (OB2), try one if you get a chance.

0ne9marine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a Lucasi that i had rewrapped by joe blackburn at SBE. i bought a OB1 shaft as the stock shaft got warped, so the shaft collar is black not matching the butt. the shaft was $185. been lightly played as this is a stick i don't use anymore. $225

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for what you do.

You might also look into a Leon Sly SP. I hear great things about his cues and he is also a member of AZB.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think I'm set on the Joss JOS01.

Buy the Joss, Doc...many after-market shafts will fit on it if your tastes change.I've got one that was made in '68...still straight.

And welcome to the forum.

And Measureman is right about Tramp Steamer....he'll claim you owe him a
t-shirt. (actually, he's one of our favorite and most hilarious posters)

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joss is a nice choice. If you want a McD with a LD shaft you can get one of theirs with a G-core shaft in (and even below) your price range. It isn't as LD as some other shafts, but many on here seem to really like them.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Welcome to the forum, Doc. Plenty to see, and learn here.
By-the-way, mark your calendar for next Thursday. We've scheduled a field trip to the Pony Express Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri. They were going to have us come by a couple of months ago, but the invitation got lost in the mail.
After that we're going to go by Roberta's place for ice cream and cake. :smile:

brock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple cues, I will send you one free. Thank You For Your Service For America

brock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank all of you for the comments and the welcome, to those that thanked me for my service, happy to do it. Thank you for the support!

Really? I don't know what to say man, thank you! I can pay for the shipping.

I'm at Ft. Lewis, are you in the military?

No, but my uncle was a Full Bride Coronal Army

Where is Ft lewis???????????

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the forum, Doc. Plenty to see, and learn here.
By-the-way, mark your calendar for next Thursday. We've scheduled a field trip to the Pony Express Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri. They were going to have us come by a couple of months ago, but the invitation got lost in the mail.
After that we're going to go by Roberta's place for ice cream and cake. :smile:

Do I have to make the cake because I'm a woman :p Fine, I'll make it but only because I'm an awesome cook.:wink: