referring to notes

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Had a match the other night where a player called a foul on his opponent for referring to notes during play. I've never seen anything in BCA that covers that. ???

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Not near as bad as the time I was playing One Pocket and my opponent accused me of hitting whitey twice.
His buddy happened to be filming the whole affair in 16 millimeter color so we had a record of the alleged event. The problem, of course, was that we had to wait for it to be processed.
After getting the film roll back from the camera shop he returned to the poolroom with a screen and projector and set everything up.
We ordered beer and popcorn, and patiently watched his oldest kid's birthday party unfold before the pool play came on. I don't mind telling you I wasn't that impressed with Rudy the Clown.
At the end of it all I was surprised to find out that I had indeed fouled so I promptly apologized, and went home. :)

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply Tramp. But I'm actually looking to find out if its legal or not. Funny story though!

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a match the other night where a player called a foul on his opponent for referring to notes during play. I've never seen anything in BCA that covers that. ???

what if it was a note from his wife to buy milk on the way home?
Never heard of a rule that you cant "coach yourself" while playing....

So if I mumble to myself "keep your head down" thats a foul too?

I dont what rule could possibly have been broken

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Where are the notes and who wrote them?

Don't think it is legal as someone else may have wrote down the notes about what to do and it would be coaching.

The same would be if that person got on his phone and texted to someone to get some suggestions.

🎱

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Another rules question if you please. Is there a stated rule about cell phones being used during a match or just a common courtesy thing. I ask that ringers be off during play, obviously, but some people can't stop checking there phone or posting something. I realize they are responsible for paying attention but is there an official BCAPL position?

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Where are the notes and who wrote them?

Don't think it is legal as someone else may have wrote down the notes about what to do and it would be coaching.

The same would be if that person got on his phone and texted to someone to get some suggestions.

🎱

There is a banking angle app now for your phone. Fine to practice with, not during play. Same thing?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phones......................

Another rules question if you please. Is there a stated rule about cell phones being used during a match or just a common courtesy thing. I ask that ringers be off during play, obviously, but some people can't stop checking there phone or posting something. I realize they are responsible for paying attention but is there an official BCAPL position?
In the Midwest 9ball Tour, tournament director/ref. Evelyn Dysart has STRICT rules on phone use:1st time: foul, ball-in-hand to opp., 2nd time: loss-of-game,3rd time: loss-of-match. In other words: TURN-OFF your f*^@#*g phones before your match. As the saying goes, "Common courtesy isn't common anymore".

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I also question players wearing ear buds or headphones. They could be connected to someone giving them instrctions.

🎱

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member

Aha! 2014-2015 official rules of cue sports int. 1-3/2a and b. Under the no electronic head gear section. Cell phone may be worn but can't be accessed for messages info or conversations and ringers must be off.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Ask him to show you where that rule is at in the BCA rules book...You can't accuse someone of doing something illegal unless you have proof..Otherwise players could jump up all the time and yell foul..But who says they are right..

If he shows you in the book then accept it of course..But he needs proof that that's a foul rule...

Or you could phone or E-Mail playbca.com or CSI and ask them...

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member

Actually the player that was called for referring to his notes maps out every table in the room. Dead rails, roll offs, pocket irregularities, etc. Pretty smart if you ask me. Now having that knowledge is one thing, but does accessing notes during your shot constitute a foul? You can't legally access your phone for info so what would be the difference?

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Ask him to show you where that rule is at in the BCA rules book...You can't accuse someone of doing something illegal unless you have proof..Otherwise players could jump up all the time and yell foul..But who says they are right..

If he shows you in the book then accept it of course..But he needs proof that that's a foul rule...

Or you could phone or E-Mail playbca.com or CSI and ask them...

Funny thing is that after I first made the call that I had never seen any rule covering that I voice searched google and found wording that said if it effects the outcome of the game it was illegal. But now that I want to find it again I can't.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I think it would come under unsportsmanlike and be up to the referee's discretion.

I think the spirit of the rule is the way to come up with the right call. The telephone rule is to eliminate the chance of coaching or using someone else's knowledge to play a shot. Since there is no way to be sure that the notes were not generated by someone else I would not allow it. That being said I would make the first infraction a warning only.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While there is no specific rule against using written material, I would say you can't do it. It is a device or tool that is not a usual part of the game. I'd give a warning on the first offense.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
While there is no specific rule against using written material, I would say you can't do it. It is a device or tool that is not a usual part of the game. I'd give a warning on the first offense.

Thanks That seems to be the consensus. I will pass it on.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it would come under unsportsmanlike and be up to the referee's discretion.

I think the spirit of the rule is the way to come up with the right call. The telephone rule is to eliminate the chance of coaching or using someone else's knowledge to play a shot. Since there is no way to be sure that the notes were not generated by someone else I would not allow it. That being said I would make the first infraction a warning only.

I agree with you and Bob J, but I guess it also depends on what is written on the notes....

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the player that was called for referring to his notes maps out every table in the room. Dead rails, roll offs, pocket irregularities, etc. Pretty smart if you ask me. Now having that knowledge is one thing, but does accessing notes during your shot constitute a foul? You can't legally access your phone for info so what would be the difference?

Sounds really weird to me. I'd hide his notes if I was playing him and watch him fall apart just for the entertainment value.