Best Pool Ball Rack for 9 Ball and Straight Pool

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for a good rack, price wise I would like to stay away from the Delta Elite 13 which costs $179.

Any ideas?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for a good rack, price wise I would like to stay away from the Delta Elite 13 which costs $179.

Any ideas?

How about the non-elite? I've gotten some wooden racks that were nice for a pool hall, but they are sticking a bit to the head ball now for some of them. For home use, I'd get the cheaper Delta.

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about the non-elite? I've gotten some wooden racks that were nice for a pool hall, but they are sticking a bit to the head ball now for some of them. For home use, I'd get the cheaper Delta.

The non elite is still $80. Unless anyone can find it cheaper

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any ideas?
I was not impressed with the Delta rack. I ordered one for the wife of one of our regulars who was giving it to her husband as a gift for his home table. I tried it out and found absolutely nothing special about it, in regards to how tightly it is able to rack the balls, and it makes way too much noise. I prefer the heavy duty Diamond wood racks any day, at least for 8-ball and 9-ball. I will say for 14.1, the Diamond rack is a little too thick on the sides, which can create obvious issues if the 15th ball is left too close to the rack.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Those plastic Diamond racks are junk IMO. They had some at the last regional 8 ball tourney. They are hollow with an open bottom, and dont feel right to me sliding over the cloth etc.

The non elite is still $80. Unless anyone can find it cheaper

$69.95 https://www.seyberts.com/ball-racks/delta-13-select-pool-ball-rack-black/

Delta racks are really hard to beat IMO, I have the Select and it is a great rack. I would recommend a drop of loctite on the screws. And as far as quieting them down, you dont need to buy the $25 branded inserts. $5 worth of leather and some double stick tape or a few drops of super glue and you are good to go.

http://springfieldleather.com/Import-Tooling-Pre-Cut-6-x-12?custcol19=8&custcol21=2

If you have a local leather store (Tandy etc) you can save on shipping for the leather. :thumbup:

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with the previous post. I use a delta rack. I added some leather inserts and the noise is not at issue. I also have a diamond rack that came with the table but never use it for 14.1

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was not impressed with the Delta rack. I ordered one for the wife of one of our regulars who was giving it to her husband as a gift for his home table. I tried it out and found absolutely nothing special about it, in regards to how tightly it is able to rack the balls, and it makes way too much noise. I prefer the heavy duty Diamond wood racks any day, at least for 8-ball and 9-ball. I will say for 14.1, the Diamond rack is a little too thick on the sides, which can create obvious issues if the 15th ball is left too close to the rack.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link for the Diamond wood racks so I can get an idea of which one? Thanks

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those plastic Diamond racks are junk IMO. They had some at the last regional 8 ball tourney. They are hollow with an open bottom, and dont feel right to me sliding over the cloth etc.

$69.95 https://www.seyberts.com/ball-racks/delta-13-select-pool-ball-rack-black/

Delta racks are really hard to beat IMO, I have the Select and it is a great rack. I would recommend a drop of loctite on the screws. And as far as quieting them down, you dont need to buy the $25 branded inserts. $5 worth of leather and some double stick tape or a few drops of super glue and you are good to go.

http://springfieldleather.com/Import-Tooling-Pre-Cut-6-x-12?custcol19=8&custcol21=2

If you have a local leather store (Tandy etc) you can save on shipping for the leather. :thumbup:

Have you used that Delta rack for 9 ball and straight pool?

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is this it?

https://www.seyberts.com/Diamond Cherry Pool Ball Rack

Is there a 9 ball rack the same style?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you used that Delta rack for 9 ball and straight pool?

Yes, and one pocket, and 8 ball, and 61 rotation, and side pocket Sally etc etc etc

Ok got it. I guess they don't make a 9 ball rack.

Nor do you want one even if they did. Ive never understood the purpose of the 9 ball specific rack, other than another gimmick to sell. The only real use I have ever found for the '9 ball rack' is racking 7 ball easier than a regular triangle.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I prefer the regular Delta rack. I got mine used on AZ for under $40 and new for around $50.

The one I'm referring is the cast aluminium. I prefer those over the assembled as I seen them loosen up over time.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the regular Delta rack. I got mine used on AZ for under $40 and new for around $50.

The one I'm referring is the cast aluminium. I prefer those over the assembled as I seen them loosen up over time.

;) :thumbup:

MrSharp

Registered
I have a 9 ball rack that came with my table kit, used it a couple times and that’s it, prefer a regular rack.

I have a Delta 13 elite with the inserts, isn’t that loud with the inserts, I like that they don’t flex at all when you push the balls into it, likely cheaper options that will do the same but will never look as good doing it lol.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this it?

https://www.seyberts.com/Diamond Cherry Pool Ball Rack

Is there a 9 ball rack the same style?
Yes, that's it - 3 different stain options, but they are all otherwise identical. Hopefully you're just kidding about the 9-ball rack? No they are not available from Diamond, for reasons any pool player doesn't have to ask - Sorry to come across as a bit of a snob. I'll admit that at times, I am.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

In my opinion, the Delta-13 gives the Diamond rack the 7, the break, and a hand-span every shot. It's not even close. It's easy to install your own sound deadener (cork or leather) and then it sounds just like wood. The Delta-13 will be the right shape forever.

On the other hand, for 9 ball, you should not be using a rack.