Earl Strickland

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NONE OF THIS IS WORTH ARGUING ABOUT OR CALLING EACH OTHER NAMES OVER.
IT IS WORTH DISCUSSING & FINDING OUT HOW OTHER POSTERS VIEW EARLS PLACE IN POOL.

I HAVE BEEN A FAN FOR MANY YEARS & STILL ENJOY WATCHING HIM SHOOT.
I DO NOT ENJOY WITNESSING HIS DISRESPECTFUL RANTS AIMED AT THE FANS & HIS OPPONENT WHEN THINGS DON'T GO HIS WAY.

I WAS PRESENT FOR ALL THREE NIGHTS AT BOTH THE MATCH AGAINST SHANE ON THE 10 FOOTER & THE MATCH AGAINST DARREN ON THE 4 POCKET TABLE.
I CHOSE TO BE THERE BECAUSE I LOVE TO WATCH GREAT POOL.
THERE WERE MANY ANTAGONISTS AT THE SHANE MATCH & ZERO AT THE DARREN MATCH.
THE THING IS AFTER BOTH MATCHES WERE OVER I DID NOT HEAR ANYONE SAY "WOW THAT WAS A GREAT MATCH" OR "I WOULD WATCH THAT All OVER AGAIN IF I COULD".
MOST IF NOT ALL SEEMED TO BE THINKING "MAN I'M GLAD THAT IS OVER, IT WAS PAINFUL TO WATCH.

MYSELF, I THINK THAT WATCHING JOHNNY ARCHER & JOHN MORRA PLAY NEXT ON THAT TABLE WILL BE A MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE, DUE TO NO DRAMA JUST GREAT POOL PLAYING.

SLIM

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some just don't get it.

They want the robots that they are being taught to be.

There is a picture of Y.A. Tittle kneeling on the field with his helmet knocked of exposing his bald head with blood running down his face.

Football is a game where you must hit those that may even be your idle but that does not mean that you lose respect for them.

Every young player that gets to get on a table with Earl should feel honored to be able to that.

That does not mean that they do not try to kick his butt & wipe the floor with him. But... THAT does not mean that they should be disrespectful to one of the Greatest Players to ever stroke a cue.

Some just don't get it...

& you nor I nor anyone will be able to make them get it on a texting forum site.

All Best Wishes for You & Yours... & All.

Football is not pool! It is a game played by inherently crazy people who have no regard for their own well being or those around them on the field. I played football from age 8 to 22, and there is no comparison to pool.

Earl doesn't need to be disrespected by anyone to go off, all he needs to do is miss a ball. If these young bucks can best him, and they can, why should they kneel down and kiss his ring? That is his problem on a nutshell, he is to caught up in self reverence that he forgot how to enjoy the game. It's seems like when he misses he feels the need to remind everyone in the room how good he is, as if they are casting universal judgement of his abilities base solely on that one shot. It's too bad,a clear headed earl would be unstoppable, even at his current age.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can Earl be bad for pool? He has more threads talking about him than anybody else - no such thing as bad publicity:thumbup:

Guys like Earl, McCready, Fats, Alex are the ones EVERYBODY loves to watch. Guys who talk and make the game exciting and get the crowd involved are the ones keeping the game alive for viewers.
Nobody wants to sit in a church and watch mum pool NOBODY!!!
Jason

Yeah, look at how decorum killed snooker. And 3C billiards.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Football is not pool! It is a game played by inherently crazy people who have no regard for their own well being or those around them on the field. I played football from age 8 to 22, and there is no comparison to pool.

Earl doesn't need to be disrespected by anyone to go off, all he needs to do is miss a ball. If these young bucks can best him, and they can, why should they kneel down and kiss his ring? That is his problem on a nutshell, he is to caught up in self reverence that he forgot how to enjoy the game. It's seems like when he misses he feels the need to remind everyone in the room how good he is, as if they are casting universal judgement of his abilities base solely on that one shot. It's too bad,a clear headed earl would be unstoppable, even at his current age.

I would tend to guess that you did not have very good men (or women) as football coaches or there were other issues.

I am rather amazed how seemingly so many have some sort of reading issue here on AZB.

Did I say anything about anyone kneeling down & kissing anything? I said they should try to kick his butt & wipe the floor with him as long as they are not disrespectful of a once Great Player.

What ever Earl's demons are they are for him to know & try to tame. If he can not, he will gradually weed himself out of the picture.

I'd rather watch Earl & hope he can keep it under control than most of the younger talent other than a few exceptions.

Anyway, I certainly did not say that anyone should kneel & kiss anything.

All Best Wishes for ALL.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might wanna play me some?

Point is people watch - if you can't understand that you should probably stick with playing 3ball or cutthroat.
Jason

I would also like to see you call Earl that to his face

Yeah, they really don't. Except for what is, in a country of 300+ million people, a handful of people no one gives a damn about pool. It is so sad that they get a few hundred live at an event and a few thousand maybe on pay per view and celebrate. Of course that can't have anything to do with the way the pool world promotes itself.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Challenging me to play because I said you can't compare the entertainment value of Earl to guys like Keith and Alex? Compensating much? Lol.

People would much rather watch someone like Alex because he is actually entertaining. Seems to be you fail to understand the difference between entertainment and a trainwreck.

And I wouldn't just outright call Earl an asshole to his face, but I would if we were playing and he started behaving like one.

I'd call him that myself lol. Actually he's the player I've wished I could beat my entire pool playin life.

Fact is the room is still filled with people watching Earl.....even when Alex, Corey, etc are playing in the same room.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it his pool skill or wanting to see what he does next?

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes a day. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
Kenny: How could this be?
Researcher: Answer most commonly given: "I want to see what he'll say next."
Kenny: : All right, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
Kenny: : But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Researcher: Most common answer: "I want to see what he'll say next."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every young player that gets to get on a table with Earl should feel honored to be able to that.

That does not mean that they do not try to kick his butt & wipe the floor with him. But... THAT does not mean that they should be disrespectful to one of the Greatest Players to ever stroke a cue.

I was struggling to understand where you were going with this line. Earl acts the way he does because he feels disrespected? Or are you pointing this to the haters posting on this forum? I rarely see any real cause for earl to get upset by what his opponents do. Any guess as to the mindset of earl on my part is clearly speculation. I am just trying to understand the why of it. His physical game is probably the best my eyes have seen. His mental game is killing him. He clearly wants to compete as he still is entering tournaments and playing to a high level, however, far too often he takes himself out of matches. Just my opinion, though.

I love watching earl play pool, when he isn't in "earl" mode. Nobody wants a robot. Of course we want to see personalities. What we don't want to see is poor sportsmanship and sore losers.

P.s. I had great football coaches who did not teach that mentality, however if you pay attention, that is the prevailing mindset of successful football players. I have known many football players over the years and this is a very common trait to the best of them. How much football have you played?

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would tend to guess that you did not have very good men (or women) as football coaches or there were other issues.

I am rather amazed how seemingly so many have some sort of reading issue here on AZB.

Did I say anything about anyone kneeling down & kissing anything? I said they should try to kick his butt & wipe the floor with him as long as they are not disrespectful of a once Great Player.

What ever Earl's demons are they are for him to know & try to tame. If he can not, he will gradually weed himself out of the picture.

I'd rather watch Earl & hope he can keep it under control than most of the younger talent other than a few exceptions.

Anyway, I certainly did not say that anyone should kneel & kiss anything.

All Best Wishes for ALL.

Respect begets respect.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd call him that myself lol. Actually he's the player I've wished I could beat my entire pool playin life.

Fact is the room is still filled with people watching Earl.....even when Alex, Corey, etc are playing in the same room.

Ok I think we're getting somewhere now.

I agree that people will fill the room to watch Earl, but I think the majority do so to see if he can catch lighting. No doubt when he's on his game, he's fun to watch.

If people go to watch just to see him implode, then those are the real assholes.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching earl play pool, when he isn't in "earl" mode. Nobody wants a robot. Of course we want to see personalities. What we don't want to see is poor sportsmanship and sore losers.

Yep, I think this pretty much sums up how I'm sure all the Earl "haters" feel.

You don't have to be a complete jerkwad to be entertaining.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is so much more to Earl that makes him exciting to watch than just his blow ups.

His talent, his enthusiasm, his eccentric inventions... he has many reasons to watch him.

I must admit though, when he shows unfiltered bad sportsmanship I find that fascinating also. I understand why a promoter would need to keep that under control though. But, even if Earl kept his anger in check I would still find his passion, enthusiasm, talent, and overall game fun to watch. There is only one Earl and I like him.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I was struggling to understand where you were going with this line. Earl acts the way he does because he feels disrespected? Or are you pointing this to the haters posting on this forum? I rarely see any real cause for earl to get upset by what his opponents do. Any guess as to the mindset of earl on my part is clearly speculation. I am just trying to understand the why of it. His physical game is probably the best my eyes have seen. His mental game is killing him. He clearly wants to compete as he still is entering tournaments and playing to a high level, however, far too often he takes himself out of matches. Just my opinion, though.

P.s. I had great football coaches who did not teach that mentality, however if you pay attention, that is the prevailing mindset of successful football players. I have known many football players over the years and this is a very common trait to the best of them. How much football have you played?

My Wife has a Female Cousin that has had a very hard life. My Wife is an extremely compassionate individual as is her whole family. They were raised right, as was I.

Anyway, this cousin is an only child, while my Wife is one of 10. Basically this cousin can be very aggravating & I overheard the 'girls' talking ill of her.

I had befriended this cousin on Facebook & I had learned more about her than her cousins knew about her.

When I told my Wife some of the things that her cousin had confided in me, knowing that I might tell my wife, her cousin, my Wife had a completely different view of her cousin.

Walk a mile in the shoes of the one you judge before you judge them.

I had severe migraine headaches when young & did not play much football, but I later played enough to know to hit before you get hit & from snap to whistle & between the lines I will try to 'kill' you, but if you step out of bounds or when the whistle blows, I'll help you up & invite you to a party I know about.

If you ask me what am I, My answer is a football player.

That might be what gets me into some trouble here form time to time.

All Best Wishes for You, Yours, & ALL.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Respect begets respect.

No it does not...

Someone might have respect for me & I none for them.

True respect is earned.

There is a difference between no respect & DISrespect.

Someone that I truly respect might disrespect me & I can still have respect for them.

One strike is not a strike out. (I'm not talking about Earl.)

I guess I should just stop there with you.

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I certainly am capable of empathy. Where earl goes is beyond quirky or misunderstood. I can understand your point of trying to see it from his perspective,I just can't come up with a justifiable reason to behave as such. Your wife's cousin, though misunderstood by your wife, probably wasn't running around acting like a total doucher, just saying.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Ok I think we're getting somewhere now.

I agree that people will fill the room to watch Earl, but I think the majority do so to see if he can catch lighting. No doubt when he's on his game, he's fun to watch.

If people go to watch just to see him implode, then those are the real assholes.

We have reached agreement
Jason

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/g8NRwR9wD9g

I urge people watch this short 20 minute video.

This player was controversial. He isn't a robot and shows plenty of emotion.

Yet he's not acting like a total twat. That's entertainment.

Alex Higgins was a huge talent, but I wouldn't say he acted better than Earl. Here is another short video that discussing his brilliance but also his antics, including punching an official after a loss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVzr6qWa3Vc

Both of them had mental problems, in my view, and it is a shame.

Regards,

Gideon