Bob Frey out for 2 month

pookster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob ask me to post this...He will be out for 2 month due to shoulder surgery and will not be picking up phone call but he will do his best to try to call you back if you leave a message.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please extend my best wishes to him...........I can very much relate to his medical predicament and hopefully, a very fast recovery.

Matt B.

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
I surely wish Bob to get well soon!!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't want to rain on Bob expectations but 3-4 months (12-15 weeks) is pretty common.

2/3rds of all rotator cuff surgeries involving full thickness tears for men over the age of 55 "fail"
within 2 years of the surgery.......I've had 3 surgeries to my right shoulder and all 3 surgeries
failed (re-tears worse than before) within 6 months.

My last surgery was on February 3rd and I am still haven't the gotten okay to use my arm or play pool yet.
This time the recovery outlook is more like 6 to 9 months with very carefully managed physical therapy.

Hopefully Bob's surgery didn't involve full thickness tears of the Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, Subscapscularis,
or Terres minor muscles which comprise the rotator cuff. A torn labrum would be preferable to those surgical repairs.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I didn't want to rain on Bob expectations but 3-4 months (12-15 weeks) is pretty common.

2/3rds of all rotator cuff surgeries involving full thickness tears for men over the age of 55 "fail"
within 2 years of the surgery.......I've had 3 surgeries to my right shoulder and all 3 surgeries
failed (re-tears worse than before) within 6 months.

My last surgery was on February 3rd and I am still haven't the gotten okay to use my arm or play pool yet.
This time the recovery outlook is more like 6 to 9 months with very carefully managed physical therapy.

Hopefully Bob's surgery didn't involve full thickness tears of the Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, Subscapscularis,
or Terres minor muscles which comprise the rotator cuff. A torn labrum would be preferable to those surgical repairs.

It says "shoulder surgery". Not specifically rotator cuff surgery. He could be having a torn bursa repaired, or the like. Or many other things besides rotator cuff issues.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shawn,

I realize that....Bob and I have chatted about his shoulder off and on prior to his surgery.
Partial tears aren't operated on and it wasn't a issue of lubricating the joint. He hadn't yet
gone over his MRI with his surgeon when we last chatted why is which I specifically wrote

"Hopefully Bob's surgery didn't involve full thickness tears of the Supraspinatus,
Infraspinatus, Subscapscularis, or Terres minor muscles........"

I am an expert on those type repairs having undergone 5 rotator cuff surgeries since September 2009.
Anyway, like I originally wrote, I hope he has a very fast recovery.

Matt B.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I dropped an old Frey off I'd acquired several months back & he told me it would be 6-8 weeks to get it refinished, new leather wrap & 2 new shafts. He told me then he was scheduled for an MRI.

Got a call 2 weeks ago saying my cue was ready. I popped into Baltimore last Wednesday to pick it up & found Bob all strapped up in one of those post surgery harnesses. He said that they had to repair 3 tears, it was clear he was in pain. He said mine was the last one he'd done before going under the knife. Over 30 years old but looks brand new.
50ecfd582f7ae81ace366b807e99f9c1.jpg

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, there ya go ......it's avoiding the re-tears during physical therapy and the 6 months thereafter
that presents the greatest risk & the statistics I quoted are for real......a 2/3rds failure rate when over 55.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
hope for the best recovery for him.

imagine a cuemaker telling you your cue is finished and it really was.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I dropped an old Frey off I'd acquired several months back & he told me it would be 6-8 weeks to get it refinished, new leather wrap & 2 new shafts. He told me then he was scheduled for an MRI.

Got a call 2 weeks ago saying my cue was ready. I popped into Baltimore last Wednesday to pick it up & found Bob all strapped up in one of those post surgery harnesses. He said that they had to repair 3 tears, it was clear he was in pain. He said mine was the last one he'd done before going under the knife. Over 30 years old but looks brand new.
50ecfd582f7ae81ace366b807e99f9c1.jpg

I admire Bob for being a reputable person.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I had Bob refinish a Early 80's Sruggs cue and it was a wonderful experience. I had it back in less than two weeks including shipping time.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I admire Bob for being a reputable person.

He certainly is, this cues a great example of that. When I dropped it off he told me 6-8 weeks, he also told me he was scheduled for an MRI as his shoulder was bothering him.

He called & said it was ready 7 weeks to the day after I dropped it off. As I said in my 1st post when I went to pick it up last week I found him in that harness post surgery. He told me he'd found he needed surgery after his initial MRI but postponed it until after he finished the work on this cue, that he'd made a commitment. Now that's a man of his word.

I've been fortunate to know Bob for over 35 years & his work is always top notch, on time or early. I'm proud to not only call him my cue maker but my friend, one of the finest men I've ever known.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He certainly is, this cues a great example of that. When I dropped it off he told me 6-8 weeks, he also told me he was scheduled for an MRI as his shoulder was bothering him.

He called & said it was ready 7 weeks to the day after I dropped it off. As I said in my 1st post when I went to pick it up last week I found him in that harness post surgery. He told me he'd found he needed surgery after his initial MRI but postponed it until after he finished the work on this cue, that he'd made a commitment. Now that's a man of his word.

I've been fortunate to know Bob for over 35 years & his work is always top notch, on time or early. I'm proud to not only call him my cue maker but my friend, one of the finest men I've ever known.

I bought sneaky last year from a different maker. I regret not dealing with Bob. The 5 week quoted turnaround turned into 5 months. Everything was great until I made a deposit and paid in full. I was put on the back burner. Was not worth waiting for. I'm sorry I gave the guy my business. We need more people like Bob around....but maybe that is what makes him so special. He is rare.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish him a speedy recovery. I love my Frey sneaky, it's my daily player. In a couple of months I'm going to order a custom from him.