Roasted Ash Shaft

prather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've got a few Roasted Ash Shafts in stock.
They're a gorgeous chocolate brown.
.700" - 1.00" rough taper, 29" long, 5oz.
$35.00 each
See HERE

Ed P

Registered
Thanks Jeff.
Just ordered 3 of them. Will make nice jump cues.

Regards Ed Petersen

prather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed, I'm sure you're right. You'll have to give me your feedback on them! We may have to keep them in stock.

Thanks Jeff.
Just ordered 3 of them. Will make nice jump cues.

Regards Ed Petersen

prather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The roasted Ash Shaft is just Ash wood that has been dried with very high heat, which helps to keep moisture out - therefore keeping it more stable/straight, and in turn gives it the dark/chocolate color. They're pretty lightweight as well. The piece I just weighed is around .700" @ 31" long and weighed 5.3oz.

What are roasted ash shafts?

Ed P

Registered
Jeff,
I received the Ash shafts today. They look really nice. They are also super straight. Wanted to say thanks for another great product.

Regards Ed Petersen

Ed P

Registered
I got them for thier unique color and weight as they will be slightly lighter than a standard shaft due to the "roasting" process. I have never know anyone to use them for a regular shaft. As previously mentioned I am going to make a jump cue. As long as they were not roasted too much, then they will not be to brittle. I do know other players who use Ash shafts for jump cues and they work really well due to thier hardness rating.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you, Ed.

Really can't see a technical reason not to use for regular pool cue, but they could tend to look "odd" compared to familiar maple. Sort of like a "oak" cue effect with the heavy grain. Like your back country cousin home-made it with his pen knife out of a wind fall. :D But from strength/wt/hardness they ought to "hit" really well.

smt

prather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed, I'm glad you liked them! We appreciate the kind words, and thanks for answering the following question. I have been told they're great for jump cues as well as for snooker.

Jeff,
I received the Ash shafts today. They look really nice. They are also super straight. Wanted to say thanks for another great product.

Regards Ed Petersen

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much deflection do they have?

That would depend on the cue-maker.

However, deflection (squirt) is almost completely dependent on end mass of the shaft, last 5 to 8"; considering typical wood values of stiffness. (as opposed to say CF)

So everything else being equal, look at the numbers.

Ash is 42 lbs/ft^3 vs hardmaple 44 (maples is denser)
1,320 Janka vs 1,450 (maple is harder)
youngs modulus, 1,740K vs 1,830 (maple is stiffer)

the comparison numbers are so close that it is almost a wash.
IOW, you can find examples of both that are "better" than the other wood at that level.

Which again puts it back to the cuemaker & his selection and machining.

roasted wood is even less dense than the natural product.

So, all in all, comparable builds, the ash ought to be observably lower deflection (lower squirt)

Then it gets back to shooter - not all players enjoy fully LD shafts.

smt

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

However, deflection (squirt) is almost completely dependent on end mass of the shaft, last 5 to 8"; considering typical wood values of stiffness. (as opposed to say CF)

IOW, you can find examples of both that are "better" than the other wood at that level.

So, all in all, comparable builds, the ash ought to be observably lower deflection (lower squirt)

smt

Thank you for the reply

Last edited:

prather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a much better answer than I could have given LOL.
Thanks for the reply!

smt

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the roasting do anything to the pore structure?

It evaporates volatiles that would take decades or longer to disperse or polymerize "naturally". It closes the cell walls.

Many sources state it makes the wood "stiffer" - I don't believe that in the technical sense, partly because shear strength is reduced (I know they are not directly related).

My only persoanl experience with Torrefied wood is in the construction trades where it is being used to make lumber rot resistant. The lumber is avowably weaker, but picks up some nice attributes: great rot resistance, tends to shed water due to the closed cell walls, and is much more stable than untreated wood of any sort. (Does not move much with wide humidity changes)

Here's an honest quick summary:

https://robcosman.com/pages/newsletter-article-torrefied-wood

For more, google "Torrefied wood". But take some of the simple reports with a grain of salt. The wood is slightly weaker, and probably no stiffer; but it gains a lot of attributes useful to wood cues: It tends to be extremely stable. For LD shafts, the reduction in density should be a plus as well.

smt

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It evaporates volatiles that would take decades or longer to disperse or polymerize "naturally". It closes the cell walls.

Many sources state it makes the wood "stiffer" - I don't believe that in the technical sense, partly because shear strength is reduced (I know they are not directly related).

My only persoanl experience with Torrefied wood is in the construction trades where it is being used to make lumber rot resistant. The lumber is avowably weaker, but picks up some nice attributes: great rot resistance, tends to shed water due to the closed cell walls, and is much more stable than untreated wood of any sort. (Does not move much with wide humidity changes)

Here's an honest quick summary:

https://robcosman.com/pages/newsletter-article-torrefied-wood

For more, google "Torrefied wood". But take some of the simple reports with a grain of salt. The wood is slightly weaker, and probably no stiffer; but it gains a lot of attributes useful to wood cues: It tends to be extremely stable. For LD shafts, the reduction in density should be a plus as well.

smt

I've not had a chance to use it either. I have read that article and some other things. I was more curious for Ash since it's large pores are a feature of the wood. You can use a pigmented sealer to make the grain really stand out and keep the surface from feeling so rough and making it really hard to apply an even finish to.