Looking for TX info

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to Texas. Will be driving through Dallas Wed afternoon/evening. Thursday in Austin to for a quick visit then drive to Lubbock on Friday April 26 stay till Tuesday or Wednesday May 1 then I will return to Indy.

question is there any good room in Dallas worth stopping in to hit some balls for a couple of hours, i think my route is I35 based so do not want to be driving to Ft. Worth side of town.

Where to play in Austin during the day. I prefer a Diamond or Gold Crown.

Any place worth checking out from Austin to Lubbock, I will probably take the country route Brownwood to Sweetwater. 183 to 84 I think.

Interested in Pool rooms, BBQ, things I ought to check out on the way. Tech shops worth checking out in Austin would also be of interest. My schedule can be adjusted if the trip is worth it, I am just out on a short mancation after working down here in Ft Smith AR

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now you know

There are more Pool rooms in Texas rhen any other part of the country.

Not that many Diamond tables, this is still Gold Crown country, but there are a few here and there.

If you just want to hit some balls, there a Slick Willies in every Texas City, Houston, Dallas, Austin (8 in Houston) CJ has a place in Dallas as well should be action there.

There also a bunch of Fast Eddies all over Texas, Houston, Dallas, Austin theres also a Clicks Pool Hall in every city as well.

These are the major chains, but there are plenty of action places and most of these places have action too...., Rusty's in Fort Worth & Dallas are good places for action..., all these places are safe and well run.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Austin

Best Equipment Here Is At Skinny Bobs Up In Round Rock. 9 FoOt Gcs And A 3 Cusion table. If You Have Some GamblE In You That is Where You Need To Be.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not think CJ currently had a place. I will do some googling. I leave Ft Smith tomorrow probably around noon will probably wake up in Austin but might spend the night in Dallas.

Best Equipment Here Is At Skinny Bobs Up In Round Rock. 9 FoOt Gcs And A 3 Cusion table. If You Have Some GamblE In You That is Where You Need To Be.

Just saw you post, sounds good to me so I will be here Wed night. I like 14.1 if you want to play we can probably make a friendly wager.

Last edited:

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Skinny Bob's is definitely the best pool hall near Austin. Home of the Texas Open. Well worth a visit. Awesome equipment, very nice pool hall, plenty of action. Top notch, IMO.

I play league at The Grand on Airport Blvd Wed nights. Feel free to stop by on your way out to SB's.

I hear that there is a pool hall with Diamonds along I-35 between Austin and Dallas (Taylor? Waco?), but I'm not sure where it is or what it's called. Someone, either on AZB or at Skinny Bob's, will know.

Also, if you're going through Houston on your way in, check out Big Tyme Billiards (on the north side: Spring, TX). They have a couple of nice Diamond 9's and a bunch of Diamond bar boxes.

I look forward to meeting you Thursday night, and learning and sharing some SloMo tips. I hate to say it, but you're going to whip me in 14.1 on my own Diamond Pro 9'.

-Blake

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
For BBQ, The Salt Lick is worth a visit, as is The County Line. Stubb's is famous, too. Sausage from Elgin is hard to beat. If you have some extra time, the BBQ in Lockhart is nationally famous.

However, IMO, the best BBQ in Texas is home-cooked. I'll have some ready for you on Thursday night. :)

Safe travels, my friend.

-Blake

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cj does not have the room in Dallas. Skinny bobs has all gold crowns. All big pockets, nice Lil room though.

If you hit Houston come thru big tyme billiards, on the north side a block off I45.

I don't know what's in east Texas.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I went through Dallas a couple of months ago. The Billiard Den had a few nice GC's and nice people. Hawley's had GCs but is in a pretty rough neighborhood.

Around Austin, Skinny Bob's has nice GC's though the pockets are just a hair loose. Fast Eddie's has nothing but Olhausens.

As far as BBQ, one place you might try in the Austin area is Bone Daddy's. BBQ is okay but, OMG, the eye candy will take your breath away. LOL

Go early cuz there is always a line out the door.

Stones

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Future Cues in Temple has all diamond tables. Maybe 15 bar tables and 4 nine footers. You will drive right by it going from Dallas to Austin on 35.

Skinny Bob's has a big Wednesday night league so no tables will be available from around 6pm to 9:30pm or a bit later. Shoot me a pm if you plan on going up there. Maybe we can get slomo to play some as well.

Franklin's has some of the best bbq in the US but the wait is terrible. A place called Le barbecue opened up which is close in quality to Franklin's but there is almost no wait there.

I just saw you will be in Austin on Thursday. Skinny Bob's has a Thursday night league but it only uses 6 tables so you shouldn't have any issue getting a table if you come down.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
angelos on white settlement in ft worth is worth the stop for bbq

pool action is in houston not dallas,i would not bother stopping in dallas for pool

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dana...You should have spent a couple of hours with randyg while you were in Dallas...certainly an experience not to be missed, for someone like yourself who puts a high value on instruction! Maybe next time...PM me for randyg's number! :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
angelos on white settlement in ft worth is worth the stop for bbq

pool action is in houston not dallas,i would not bother stopping in dallas for pool

I am more looking to play than make a score so i will probably not be needing to drive down to houston. I have been juicing dropping some weight. so i will slow down the juicing eat some great brisket and play some pool. it will be a good time

Update stopped at Temple TX Future cues nice equipment had to wait for a table as it was free pool night (sweet/thanks) Played a little cheap 9b with a local and was doing OK mostly leading on the Diamond bar box and went stone cold mindless at the end and blew 3 games in a row after doing the bulk of the work. I was stuck 4 games paid up. Was ready to play some more but i could tell he wanted to bail he had a day job and it was 11 and he didnt want to quit winner but i said it is cool no problem. Nice guy I would like to play some more when I hadn't got up early worked half a day and then drove 8 hrs including an hour in a serious jam north dallas merge into construction zone jam - wow it was brutal. A*****o we will play some more I enjoyed it, you got game.

Spoke to RandyG in Dallas. Great guy hope to get some of his time in the near future.

Tonight I am in Round Rock at a very sweet little hotel. Tomorrow will be great bbq, austin speed shop, dell, more bbq, pool and slowmotion video - livng large in TX.

Anyone from Lubbock I will be in the area Fri-Sun if you want to play or check out a True Rack let me know.

Last edited: