Pettmans 117 Compressed version

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dana:

Thank you for doing the time-compression work on this -- very, very enjoyable to watch!

I wish this kind of work were done for more players' runs. Stuart Pettman is already a pretty quick player (he doesn't deliberate much at all), so even the "normal" run without time compression is already an enjoyable view. But I think some time-compression work on other players that may not be as quick as Pettman (e.g. Archer, Souquet) would reveal some good pattern study.

Thanks again!
-Sean

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuart Pettman runs 117 at the 2013 DCC 14.1 Challenge. Compressed down to 20:33 so the video is basically only Stuart going into his stance, shooting and the balls rolling. All of the scouting and planning were removed to make the shooting and patterns jump out. Great shooting Stuart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je5faff3uvc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Elvi. That was fun to watch. Runs the balls with virtually no english.

Anyone know anything about Stuart and the significance of the black mark on his shaft?

Lou Figueroa

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dana:

Thank you for doing the time-compression work on this -- very, very enjoyable to watch!

I wish this kind of work were done for more players' runs. Stuart Pettman is already a pretty quick player (he doesn't deliberate much at all), so even the "normal" run without time compression is already an enjoyable view. But I think some time-compression work on other players that may not be as quick as Pettman (e.g. Archer, Souquet) would reveal some good pattern study.

Thanks again!
-Sean

No problem, I am glad you like it. It is actually much more enjoyable to watch but it was a pain to do as I did not have a good work flow, started with a bad copy of the video etc so I redid it 2 or 3 times. I now know how to use some sortware and am much faster. I think i will try to do some from this years Derby, I think we could get more coverage of our event and for our sponsors (thanks again to them).

Anyone know anything about Stuart and the significance of the black mark on his shaft?

Lou Figueroa

I believe he is trying to have a consistent length of stroke. I watched that whole run, it is my shoes in the video white tennis shoes. Anyway he is just a real nice guy and he does not get flustered, always thinking.

When I did this video I considered just showing the last pause and then the stroke and the rolling balls. Well anyway I could see all of my edits it was unbelievable how many of them were about the exact same length of time. Very consist routine, awesome speed control. He had never played any 14.1 prior to this event, I think this run occurred early in his second ticket so run 13-16 or so.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Lou:

Stuart Pettman is a pro snooker player that bases himself out of Thailand. He competed at all the major snooker events, but he's considered a Tier 2 player. He retired after the 2010/2011 season. Still, he has the typically-great snooker cue action -- dead-nuts straight -- as evidenced by the non-14.1-typical shots he takes (e.g. rifling-in length-of-the-table long shots on the 10-footer).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Pettman

Snooker players like to orient their shafts according to the grain (standard practice with ash wood, to orient the grain with the "chevrons" facing up), so that black mark may be an orientation marker for a plain-maple shaft. (Not necessary, but old habits die hard.)

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
the Cue have the straightest shoot when the black mark is on top, see him many time here.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem, I am glad you like it. It is actually much more enjoyable to watch but it was a pain to do as I did not have a good work flow, started with a bad copy of the video etc so I redid it 2 or 3 times. I now know how to use some sortware and am much faster. I think i will try to do some from this years Derby, I think we could get more coverage of our event and for our sponsors (thanks again to them).

I believe he is trying to have a consistent length of stroke. I watched that whole run, it is my shoes in the video white tennis shoes. Anyway he is just a real nice guy and he does not get flustered, always thinking.

When I did this video I considered just showing the last pause and then the stroke and the rolling balls. Well anyway I could see all of my edits it was unbelievable how many of them were about the exact same length of time. Very consist routine, awesome speed control. He had never played any 14.1 prior to this event, I think this run occurred early in his second ticket so run 13-16 or so.

I think you're right, about the dot in some way... perhaps by creating a consistent bridge and grip position. Anywhos, great run. Thanks again.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou:

Stuart Pettman is a pro snooker player that bases himself out of Thailand. He competed at all the major snooker events, but he's considered a Tier 2 player. He retired after the 2010/2011 season. Still, he has the typically-great snooker cue action -- dead-nuts straight -- as evidenced by the non-14.1-typical shots he takes (e.g. rifling-in length-of-the-table long shots on the 10-footer).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Pettman

Snooker players like to orient their shafts according to the grain (standard practice with ash wood, to orient the grain with the "chevrons" facing up), so that black mark may be an orientation marker for a plain-maple shaft. (Not necessary, but old habits die hard.)

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

Ya, Sean, but I think Elvi is closer to the mark. For this guy I think it's not so much the grain but a consistent setup. If it was just about the grain there would probably be more variation in his bridge length but there's almost zilch.

Lou Figueroa

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ya, Sean, but I think Elvi is closer to the mark. For this guy I think it's not so much the grain but a consistent setup. If it was just about the grain there would probably be more variation in his bridge length but there's almost zilch.

Lou Figueroa

Lou:

Yup, that's my point about snooker players -- when you hear snookies say "cue action" -- it's kind of a misnomer, because they also mean everything to go along with the actual stroking/action of the cue, including the PSR, bridge length, etc.. As you know, I use (and am a big advocate of) the superiority of the snooker way of looking at mechanics. They look at everything -- not only the alignment of the joints/parts of the body -- but also including the orientation of the grain of wood in the cue, so as to reproduce "expectable" results. With today's laminated / radially-consistent pool shafts, that's not necessary. But *if* (key operative word) he's using plain maple, he probably has the shaft marked to put the "backbone" or "keel" of the quarter-sawn maple wood on top (with ash, you'd see chevrons at this keel-marker in the wood), to produce what would probably be expected to be the same amount of deflection in the left/right direction.

It's not just about the grain. To say "otherwise there'd probably be much more variation in his bridge length" is over-simplifying what goes on in the snooker PSR. It's not "pick and choose" -- rather, they do it all.

HTH,
-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lou:

Yup, that's my point about snooker players -- when you hear snookies say "cue action" -- it's kind of a misnomer, because they also mean everything to go along with the actual stroking/action of the cue, including the PSR, bridge length, etc.. As you know, I use (and am a big advocate of) the superiority of the snooker way of looking at mechanics. They look at everything -- not only the alignment of the joints/parts of the body -- but also including the orientation of the grain of wood in the cue, so as to reproduce "expectable" results. With today's laminated / radially-consistent pool shafts, that's not necessary. But *if* (key operative word) he's using plain maple, he probably has the shaft marked to put the "backbone" or "keel" of the quarter-sawn maple wood on top (with ash, you'd see chevrons at this keel-marker in the wood), to produce what would probably be expected to be the same amount of deflection in the left/right direction.

It's not just about the grain. To say "otherwise there'd probably be much more variation in his bridge length" is over-simplifying what goes on in the snooker PSR. It's not "pick and choose" -- rather, they do it all.

HTH,
-Sean

As I watch the video again, it's helpful to notice the following:

1. The black mark is indeed just a spot on one side of the shaft. Its not a "ring" that goes all the way around the circumference of the shaft, which would be the case if he didn't care about the orientation of the wood and is just using it as a bridge-length indicator.

2. On some shots, you can see that where the spot is, it also seems to be the demarcation point where, in a pro taper, the pretty-much-straight-part of the shaft ends, and the conical taper begins. Stu might've killed two birds with one stone, in not only marking the "keel" of the quarter-sawn maple, but also the beginning of the conical taper part of the pro taper.

I feel pretty sure of the "keel-marker" reasons for #1. #2 is conjecture on my part.

-Sean

Last edited:

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks gentlemen some very interesting observations.

Generally speaking in snooker 75% of all shots incorporate a variation of the stun run through.

Very little side (English) is used after all do you need to make the pot more difficult?

As long as your are not straight on a shot, you can get almost anywhere on a table.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pretty interesting run. Obviously, Pettman's end patterns are far from classic, but I saw so many things I liked, and which pool players should take note of:

1) Pettman's skill in playing shape when he was forced to run into balls during the rack was exquisite, a snooker skill that translates well to 14.1.

2) Pettman's speed control was very impressive and his cueing was rock solid, snooker skills that translate well to 14.1.

3) On the break shots at the beginning of the rack, with just one exception, Pettman's attack angles into the rack were solid and he hit the break shots with authority.

Still, what impressed me the most was something that's very subtle and is often overlooked by viewers of 14.1 - Pettman's cue ball practically never ended up anywhere near a rail! This is a common attribute among both top snooker players and the most elite 14.1 players and it's definitely much harder to accomplish than it might seem. I would urge developing players in 14.1 to take note of this.

Nice run. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THANKS for posting!

Break shot at 14:32 is great! I always blast this and end up uptable.All to often all I
have are combos or 91degree cuts.:sorry:

I wii definately try this next time.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Lou: Bill and I asked Stuart about the black mark. My recollection is that the shaft had a warp and he marked where he wanted the shaft to be up for his shots.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuart Pettman runs 117 at the 2013 DCC 14.1 Challenge. Compressed down to 20:33 so the video is basically only Stuart going into his stance, shooting and the balls rolling. All of the scouting and planning were removed to make the shooting and patterns jump out. Great shooting Stuart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je5faff3uvc&feature=youtu.be

He has very sound fundamentals..When he learns the patterns a little bit better he will really be a monster!! Great run, thanks so much!!