A new pool movie perhaps, Walkway Joe ??

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
A new pool movie coming, Walkway Joe ??

I found this on the web, about a new movie named "Walkaway Joe". There does not seem to
be much information available, and I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about it.

It's supposedly about a Pool Hustler and his son that is also a pool player. It's got me real curious.

This is the link:

http://www.inthegarageentertainment.com/walkawayjoe/index.html

Last edited:

jstcfleming

Seems like every few mths a story pops about a new pool movie but never goes anywhere. Money and interest always seem to be the death of it.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always the same sad hustle. It's like somebody wanted to make a movie about prostitution or Black Jack but settled in the middle. American pool has such a horrible stigmata, no wonder it's dying.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I'd watch this but agree a different story line would be nice. You could keep some "bad boy" in it but perhaps a total unrealistic account featuring a pro circuit where money flows like water, woman are hot and plentiful - sprinkle in some big stakes and violence. Put in some sponsor fraud, etc.

It wouldn't help if they tried to make a pool movie a chick-flick. People basically gotta die or come close.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd watch this but agree a different story line would be nice. You could keep some "bad boy" in it but perhaps a total unrealistic account featuring a pro circuit where money flows like water, woman are hot and plentiful - sprinkle in some big stakes and violence. Put in some sponsor fraud, etc.

So, a documentary on the International Pool Tour (IPT)? That could actually work.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
not sure if I want to check it out, did catch the "Last Picture Show" on TCM last night,
it gave the day and life in the slow lane, pretty close to somewhat real,
stayed with it till the end, can't help but think programmers found it fitting for todays time.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looked at the Imdb database and the pool consultant is Joey A. Pretty cool. Joey was also a pocket billiards consultant for the movie I Hate Kids according to the website.

Last edited:

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks better than any other recent pool "movie". And I would call them that lightly. Great pool players trying to act, turns out horrible. At least this movie has actors who are trying to play pool. I'd definitely watch it.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh God it looks like crap. Another embarrassment for pool. Fighting, hustling, smoking, broken pool cues, broken families, broken dreams blah blah blah. Pool is such a beautiful game yet it is always shown at its worst.

How about a documentary on families that play together and young kids learning the game by their dads!!!!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll watch it if it ever comes on a channel I have. I wouldn't pay to see it in a theater.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMGosh, the actor Jeffery Dean Morgan was the actor on "The Good Wife." It was the star's boyfriend.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 587

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
OMGosh, the actor Jeffery Dean Morgan was the actor on "The Good Wife." It was the star's boyfriend.

Someone suggested a documentary about the IPT, unfortuantely for me, that would just give ol' KT a bigger head and end up not being about pool.

I think a movie (not a documentary) about a pool players life would make a good movie. We have a lot of "characters".

Top of the list and probably the best would be Fats. There have to be some great stories and it doesn't have to be the top players either. Who has lived the most exciting, colorful life? Keith? Earl? Efren? Ronnie?

We need some old timers to weigh in on this. We all know the road player (as known in the past) is pretty much dead. What about a movie about Johnson City? That could be a good story line by itself.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to see a legit documentary about the history of the Johnston City Classic.

It would include enough actual footage and photos to satisfy all us pool nerds, and all the 'cast of characters' are themselves fascinating enough that even my wife would watch if you go into the crazy details of their lives.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...he needs to be on a leash not dead enough!

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looked at the Imdb database and the pool consultant is Joey A. Pretty cool. Joey was also a pocket billiards consultant for the movie I Hate Kids according to the website.
If you look close in the trailer video you can see Joey A in the pool hall scene :smile:

Attachments

• Capture edit.jpg
    Capture edit.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 291

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is so exciting!

I knew JoeyA was the technical consultant, I understand paid for his services. I didn't know, or didn't remember, he was in the movie. Next time I see him I will try to get his autograph, preferably on a check!

I know Lacy's was used as a setting, pretty sure Buffalo's was too. JoeyA spent a week or two on set as technical consultant best I knew, I don't know how much time otherwise.

If it falls in line with most pool movies with the consultant actually making all of the shots there will at least be a pool player in there that knows which end of the stick is which.

Looks good in terms of getting a pool movie out instead of just disappearing in post production. Seems like less than a year since Joey was on set, surely not much more. If it is coming out soon that is fast tracking in hollywood time.

For what it is worth, I think Joey liked the story line, same old same old father and son thing it seems like but how well that plays depends on the acting. It is supposed to be a real movie with pool as the backdrop. Can hardly hurt pool, might help. There will be a logjam of movies after the isolation though so it might be lost in the crowded field of movies unless they pick their spot to release it carefully.

Hu