Cue Identity...... Help Please

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue is not in my possession. Nor is it close to get better pictures.The customer doesn't know if it's a Harvey Martin or a Bert Schrager done to look like a Martin. The taper on the Forearm looks funky.

IMG_180920_095159.jpg
IMG_180920_095149.jpg
IMG_180920_094809.jpg

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like martin, but who's knows if it isn't signed. If it's for sale, pm me please

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like martin, but who's knows if it isn't signed. If it's for sale, pm me please

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thank you.
I agree and it looks similar to a Martin I have on file but the Customer gave me the details I posted. If the joint screw was a 3/8x8. That would make it easier.
The cue is still in California.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Do not forget that Tad also made a handful of Martin style tribute cues.

JV

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far.
Mr. Martin. Mr. Schrager and Mr. Kohara.
All 3 did use 1 1/2" long butt caps in Delrin. The 3/8x10 brass screw almost looks to clean for that time, or maybe someone added the clean bullet nose to the screw. The wrap also looks very clean.

Mr. Martin use 3/8x8 and 3/8x10. The taper on the Forearm in the picture looks funky but doesn't look very different than the last Martin I worked on.

The Martin design on Mr. Koharas page in Blue book 3, the joint screw is hidden but his cues are known for 3/8x12 and 5/16x18 joint screws.

Mr. Schrager did use the 3/8x10 stainless but that doesn't eliminate that maybe he did a Martin style in brass and it sticks out longer, like other Schrager cues.

Above the butt cap, it looks like metal rings between the phenolic. It has me thinking there could be a 4th Cue maker whose name hasn't come up yet.
I hate being stumped but one thing is certain. I WILL NOT spray a finish on this cue. Wrap change maybe, which was asked for but only if I'm positive it's not a Harvey Martin.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far.
Mr. Martin. Mr. Schrager and Mr. Kohara.
All 3 did use 1 1/2" long butt caps in Delrin. The 3/8x10 brass screw almost looks to clean for that time, or maybe someone added the clean bullet nose to the screw. The wrap also looks very clean.

Mr. Martin use 3/8x8 and 3/8x10. The taper on the Forearm in the picture looks funky but doesn't look very different than the last Martin I worked on.

The Martin design on Mr. Koharas page in Blue book 3, the joint screw is hidden but his cues are known for 3/8x12 and 5/16x18 joint screws.

Mr. Schrager did use the 3/8x10 stainless but that doesn't eliminate that maybe he did a Martin style in brass and it sticks out longer, like other Schrager cues.

Above the butt cap, it looks like metal rings between the phenolic. It has me thinking there could be a 4th Cue maker whose name hasn't come up yet.
I hate being stumped but one thing is certain. I WILL NOT spray a finish on this cue. Wrap change maybe, which was asked for but only if I'm positive it's not a Harvey Martin.

If you change the wrap is it possible there will be a name or marking of some type under the wrap?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Here are two all original Martins. Both have totally different screws and back end finishes. The one screw is very similar to yours and is 3/8-10 and the other is 3/8-8 almost radial.

JV

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 349
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 350

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first thought is a re finished Martin. Over sanding would explain no makers marks and an odd taper. any idea if the joint is ivory? It was more common on plain cues back in the day, and it might be another indication of an older cue that has been re finished. the rings do say Martin.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first thought is a re finished Martin. Over sanding would explain no makers marks and an odd taper. any idea if the joint is ivory? It was more common on plain cues back in the day, and it might be another indication of an older cue that has been re finished. the rings do say Martin.

Agreed and it's a scary thought of it being refinished.
I made shafts for a Martin and the customer who was the original owner. He bought it directly from Mr. Martin.
GOOD STORIES.
But anyways.
He tested me first by saying he wanted the butt made thinner and a real finish on it.
I laughed at him and said
You might find someone to do that.
BUT IT WON'T BE ME!
He said ok. You can make my shafts. And sent me the cue.
3/8x10 brass joint screw.
He has since passed away. I miss talking to him.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Gentlemen.
The cue is a Harvey Martin. The cue was sent to Mr. Schrager for a refinish because of his connection to Mr. Martin and the name was sanded off.